Favourite to least favourite Trek movies and series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Belz..., May 26, 2013.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Series:
    1. Deep Space Nine Just an awesome show. It has its stinkers like any show but excellent characters and story arcs really carry this show and elevate it above other Trek series for my money.

2. The Next Generation This is the Trek I grew up on and would race home each night after school to catch on TV. I had the books, the t-shirts, the toys etc

I recently gave the whole thing a rewatch and fortunately it's still pretty darn good and my spectacles weren't too rose-tinted...

3. The Original Series This is my go to show and the one I can watch even when having missed half the episode. There's just something about it that renders me unable to change the channel when it's on regardless of how many times I've seen the episode...

4. Enterprise This show was disappointing but they had some likeable characters and although much of the later stuff was dismissed as a bit too fan wanky, I enjoyed it.

5. Voyager Just.... shit. In every conceivable way.

Movies:
    1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Actually my favourite movie as a kid and it wasn't until I started browsing internet forums and movie boards that I realised how well regarded a movie it was. It is pretty brilliant.

2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is in second place for now. It's a movie were I appreciate the things it didn't do wrong more than what it did right which is kinda strange but whatever.

3. Star Trek: First Contact I have few issues with this one. Yes, there are some glaring plot holes (name a Trek movie without) but the benefit of having been with these characters for 7 series and a movie puts me in a forgiving mood. Loved seeing the Defiant as a bonus.

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home This is like a Sunday afternoon film. A fun romp with a decent message. The Trek movie that you'd watch with your mum whilst round for tea.

5. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Honestly. I like it a lot : /

6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock I like most of this movie but I wasn't into the Saavik recast (why even use her character at all? She isn't even in the first scene when they return home from fighting Khan so she could have easily been a different character) and some of the Genesis scenes bored me as a kid but there are some cool spaceships and Lloyd is a great Klingon bad guy : )

7. Star Trek: Generations What a miss-step. As if they had Kirk and Picard making eggs and riding around on horses. It's got some charm to it but it's like watching a terrible mid-90s Trek novel.

8. Star Trek: The Motion Picture I like this film a lot but it's a chore to watch sometimes and I'm not into some of the crazy late 70s wing collars and flares uniforms so looks kinda dated, more so than the other films.

9. Star Trek: Insurrection It's just an inoffensive TNG two-parter really.

10. Star Trek: Nemesis Kicking off Star Trek's bad guy in a huge spaceship trilogy is Nemesis. Some crazy decisions (no mention of Lore? Picard clone, really?) and some retconning of the film taking place within the film itself really lets it down. The ships crashing into each other was cool though.

11. Star Trek "Boo! Hiss! You're just a JJ hater!" Actually, I'm an Orci and Kurtzman hater but that's besides the point. Red matter that either sends you back in time or creates black holes depending on what the plot calls for is one of many issues I have this one. Unlike some of the TOS and TNG movies the cast - whilst fine for the most part - are unable to charm their way through this one.

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Doesn't mean I don't love it! There IS no bad Trek to me.

....well...
    except Generations....

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

TOS - My favorite TV show period. Everything about it just seems to match my personal taste perfectly.

TNG- A wonderful continuation of TOS's themes with a wonderful new cast. TOS is my preference but I can't really argue with people who prefer this one.

DS9- This really felt like the conclusion of Trek to me, with Voyager stuck off in the Delta Quadrant and Enterprise being a prequel. Wonderful series. I was skeptical of this show before I started watching it but it ended up being about as good as TNG.

TAS- I love the TOS cast, and it was wonderful to see them in new adventures. The animation was rarely exciting, but some of the stories were cool and It was more of the big three.

Enterprise- It was.....ok. I'm not a huge fan, but I like what I've seen of the show. Some of the characters aren't interesting, and by this point the plots are a bit stale. That said, I liked the designs of everything and I mostly buy it as a prequel. It's not great....but very watchable.

....big drop....

I don't like Voyager. At it's very best it was watchable. Most of the time it was awful. My best friend still laughs at my "Voyager headaches" that happen whenever he puts on an episode. Yep, this show causes actual pain to me.

Movies- I'm going to separate by TOS and TNG. generally speaking TOS>TNG

TOS- TWOK
    TSFS
    TMP
    TUC
    TVH
    TFF

TNG- First Contact
    Generations
    Nemesis
    Insurrection

Not a fan of J.J. Trek.

4. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I definitely prefer the shows to the movies.

Shows
    1) DS9
    2) TNG
    3) VOY
    4) TOS
    5) ENT

Movies
    1) GEN
    2) TSFS
    3) TMP
    4) TVH
    5) 09
    6) STID
    7) TUC
    8) FC

The next 4 (TWOK, TFF, INS, NEM) are a toss up for me, not sure how to rank them.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

TV Series
    TNG
    VOY
    TOS
    ENT
    DS9

Movies
    Wrath of Khan
    First Contact
    Into Darkness
    Star Trek (2009)
    Undiscovered Country
    Generations
    Voyage Home
    Search for Spock
    Insurrection
    The Final Frontier
    Nemesis
    The Motion Picture

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

The shows are pretty much a lock for me, and I just include TAS as a short but funky extension to TOS. The movies tend to jiggle around a bit in the middle of my list.

TV

1. The Original Series
    2. Voyager
    3. The Next Generation
    4. Enterprise
    5. Deep Space Nine

MOVIES

1. The Motion Picture
    2. The Wrath Of Khan
    3. The Voyage Home
    4. The Search Spock
    5. Into Darkness
    6. The Undiscovered Country
    7. Star Trek
    8. Generations
    9. First Contact
    10. The Final Frontier
    11. Insurrection
    12. Nemesis

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Current Listing (Always subject to change):

TV
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine*
    Star Trek: The Original Series*
    Star Trek: The Next Generation*
    Star Trek: Enterprise
    Star Trek: The Animated Series
    Star Trek: Voyager

* - These are so close, as to be nearly even with one another.

MOVIES
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Star Trek (2009)
    Star Trek: The Voyage Home
    Star Trek: First Contact
    Star Trek: The Final Frontier
    Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
    Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek: The Search for Spock
    Star Trek: Generations
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Star Trek: Insurrection
    Star Trek: Nemesis

Every so often, one or two listings might trade places, but in general, it's been this way for a long time, save for the new additions, of course. The only really major change was when I moved Enterprise from 6th place to 4th for TV series. For movies, Star Trek: The Final Frontier is now 5th, where it used to be first, though that was before the two new movies, and before I owned all of the movies on DVD.

While I still thoroughly love it, it hasn't aged very well overall for me, and movies like Star Trek: First Contact have moved up slightly because they were well made, all-around, and it shows.