probably the paper model that took the longest to finish EVER

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by xvicente, Apr 25, 2013.

1. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

The older fans here remember the good old times when there was no internet, no personal computers and drawing software, among other fine things. Back in the mid 1980's some photocopied fanzine around here sold a photocopied paper model of the Enterprise.

I, 14 or 15 years old, bought a copy and obviously it was hand drawn with a straightedge+compass. And I never finished it.

In the 21st century I found (in the proverbial parent's basement :lol:) the yellowed remains of that almost 30-year old project which somehow escaped the trash bin: a warped primary hull, two nacelles and some more cut parts.

As you already guessed, I decided to finish it just because. I know it's not beautiful nor accurate nor well put together and there are much better models around nowadays, but this one is historic (for me) and I thought I'd share:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

3. Mark91

Mark91 Ensign Newbie

You did a great job, finally lol

4. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

hey thanks. Everyone hates unfinished projects, I guess.

5. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

That's great!

6. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

It shows that there are things you can do with paper you can't do with a computer. ;) Beautiful work!

For the TOS Enterprise deck plan project I use paper copies of the actual studio set as jigsaw puzzle parts. I wonder if you could move virtual pieces as easily around as the paper ones.

Bob

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's lovely!

8. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great design, I'd love to manage this out of paper.

9. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

^ thanks, it`s only a kid thing, but I like it.

But about the other thing you said (paper copies of the set), I seem to remember about Matt Jeffreis himself making a paper model of the set, for camera placement studies and such, anyone have a picture of that (IIRC and it existed)

EDIT: found it myself: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Matt_Jefferies_pre-visualization_model_of_the_USS_Enterprise_interior_sets.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^That model is on display in the SciFi Museum in Seattle. Or at least it was when I visited in 2006.