The film's opening.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Amasov, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking about this today while out on the road. When Star Trek came out in 2009, one of my friend's complained that the film didn't open like an original series episode -- no Star Trek theme or narration by Chris Pine, not even the original theme (until the very end). I told him the reason for that was because it wasn't STAR TREK yet. The crew was not yet together, aboard the Enterprise.

That now brings us to this one. I do wonder if we'll see something like that near the start of the film. It could be a stretch, but I think it would be very cool to see some sort of tribute to the series opening credits at the start of the film.

Thoughts?

2. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Your friend sounds irritating.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

One which comes to mind is to ask: How many of the other movies opened like an original series episode?

Also: Why would it be important or desirable for a movie to do that, when it's distinctly not an episode of a television show?

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't we heard all that stuff enough times by now? ST:XI ended with it. Hopefully that was symbolic.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

For those wondering, I've just moved all of the spoilery posts talking about the 9-minute preview over to the thread specifically about that. We'll let this one continue to be about Amasov's original question(s).

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The only ST movie deliberately scripted to follow the Teaser/Act 1/Act 2/Act 3/Tag format of a TOS episode was ST V.

But ST (2009) certainly opened with a gripping pre-title teaser.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Opening teaser, then titlecard. Wasn't that TOS enough?

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...And not only did it omit any opening credits speech, it made pretty enjoyable mockery of the "Captain's Log" format of act exposition by having the log break down before a single entry was made.

It's quite nice to have a series of movies experiment with formats, because none of the ones tried out so far seems to be working particularly splendidly. But odd pacing always trumps even pacing IMHO...

Timo Saloniemi

9. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The film's opening should be like this ;)
    (excuse the choppines -- it's just a GIF):

Cue John Williams playing Michael Giacchino's "Star Trek Theme"...

[​IMG]

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

i'd rather hear the enterprise/tng theme from the original movies with a mix of the newer themes

i know they did it at the end of the last one so i'm hoping for more of that