The end of No Reservations

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Grim Ghost, May 30, 2012.

1. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anthony Bourdain is leaving the Travel Channel and starting a new show on CNN.

I'm really wondering how this is going to work. I can't imagine Tony without his cursing, acerbic personality and drinking.

Will CNN let him be himself or is this show going to be extremely toned down?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll be paying him not to drink, and paying him a little more to smile while he's at it.

Besides, in the 50s all the news presenters were off their tits.

3. The Grim Ghost

Yes but that was half the fun of the show... well maybe not half, but I enjoyed it.

Point being, a huge part of the show is his grumpy, darkly humorous and slightly drunken personality. I'm just wondering if he'll be able to get away with anything even remotely close to that on CNN..and I think those qualities are a major part of his success.

Sure the food/cultural part of the show is great as well, but it's seeing all this through Tony's unique perspective that kind of made the show.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^I shall surely miss No Reservations. His dark, self-described "snark" is on the best parts of the show. His brutal honesty and brilliant sarcasm made the show a real treat.

I rather doubt that CNN will let him truly be himself; I'm worried they will edit him down to a mere sound-bite.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I thought he'd already killed No Reservations and replaced it with The Layover or whatever it was called?

6. The Grim Ghost

Well it was the same basic deal. The only difference was the 24 - 48 hour time limit part. And a new season of No Reservations aired after the Layover.

7. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

That's sad to hear. I love the guy personally. I wouldn't watch a toned down version of whatever it is CNN will have him doing. Do we have any specifics? Is he basically doing the same show but just on CNN?

8. The Grim Ghost

Sounds like it. And he will be a guest commentator on other CNN shows as well.

I'm definitely going to check it out and I hope it's good. But a watered down Tony playing nice for CNN isn't what I'm looking for. We'll see what happens.

9. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too :(. I really enjoyed watching No Reservations. His 'snark' is one of the best parts of the show, like you said. It'll truly be missed.

CNN is just a muzzle. Curse you CNN :p.

Sure it would be interesting to watch him on there, but it'll probably just be informational and that sort of thing. His 'unique' Tony-ness, probably will be toned down quite a bit.

10. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Sad. Hope he realizes that news channels treat these kind of fillers as expendable.

He was better off with a solid multi-year gig on a travel channel than three-months-and-gone on a news channel....

11. The Grim Ghost

I'd love to see him do a show on HBO where he could really have the freedom to do whatever he wants.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think after years and years of traveling, he's probably hoping to travel a bit less for a bit more money; I can't blame him. But I will really miss No Reservations. The tone and intelligence of it made it really stand out.

13. The Grim Ghost

Sure, and I believe he has a young child now doesn't he? Maybe that enters into it.

Even if CNN censors him a lot I hope he will continue to write books that feature the unleashed Tony we love.

14. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

Now that would be interesting.