How good is your Klingon? I need a translation!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by dreadpiraterose, Feb 22, 2010.

1. dreadpiraterose

dreadpiraterose Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:klingon:

I had a chance to meet Marc Okrand at a small sci-fi convention a little over a week ago (you can read about it here). For those who many not know, Okrand created the Klingon language.

Anyway... Okrand signed my "Klingon for the Galactic Traveler" book in Klingon, but I can't figure out the translation with my Klingon dictionary or Google! For anyone who can translate it and provide a source(s) for said translation, I'll give you a signed copy of Armin Shimerman's (DS9's Quark) book "The Merchant Prince."

The sentence appears to be (and this is based on my read of his handwriting): tlhingan Hol DaHaD tup 'a'?

Any takers? Send an e-mail to kelly.rowles@alltern8.com if you think you've got it, or post a comment (be sure to send/leave your e-mail address if you do).

2. KobayashiMaru13

KobayashiMaru13 Captain Captain

well, tlhingan Hol means Klingon as in the language... DaH means Pay... but DaHaD means something along the lines of If You Want To... i dont think tup'a is what he wrote, as i cannot find it... so maybe it was mughta', which means roughly Translated or Translate, or maybe Learn.

So perhaps he wrote "If you want to learn (translate?) Klingon".

(source from looking from klingonese written homepage and referencing to the english one...)

http://www.kli.org/kli/langs/KLItlh.html

3. dreadpiraterose

A clever reader, who called himself "qurgh of House lungqIj," has pointed out that the transcription is actually tlhIngan Hol DaHaDrup'a'. This translates into "Are you ready to study Klingon?" Clearly the joke is on me, as that answer is a obviously resounding "no." He is thus the winner. You can read more about Klingon on his very own Klingon language website: http://hol.kag.org.

According to qurgh, the sentence breaks down to:

tlhIngan - Klingon
    Hol - Language
    Da- - prefix for you do something to him/her/it
    HaD - to study
    -rup - suffix meaning prepared to do the action
    -'a' - interrogative suffix

:klingon::klingon::klingon:

4. KobayashiMaru13

KobayashiMaru13 Captain Captain

well, i tried. ;)

5. dreadpiraterose

Heh, a good effort. Someone just beat you to it. ;)
    :klingon:

6. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

I wonder if they have Klingon in my college. I was just going to take German.

7. Dilgar

Dilgar Cadet Newbie

LOL!

Hi, just joined the forum, mainly joined couse I want to know if anyone else noticed that a Klingon says "Jahwol" in the dinning room after a Klingon warrior woman licks her lips and gaze at Riker in episode 8 (A Matter of Honor) of season 2 in TNG at ~23:30 min.

Anyone know what it means, I donĀ“t think one needs a intergalactic translator for it but still :D