Favorite Movie Ending

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Jun 12, 2014.

?

What's Your Favorite Movie Ending?

1. TMP -- "Out there... thataway..."

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. TWOK -- "I feel young."

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. TSFS -- "Jim. Your name... is Jim."

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. TVH -- "Let's see what she's got!"

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. TFF -- "Row, row, row your boat..."

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. TUC -- "...where no one has gone before."

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. GEN -- "Somehow, I doubt this will be the last ship to carry the name Enterprise."

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. FC -- "I suspect our own future is waiting for us."

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. INS -- "And remember to have a little fun every day."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. NEM -- "Blue skies smile at me..."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

What's your favorite movie ending?

I've always thought Star Trek did endings extremely well (scenes, not necessarily episodes). Of these, I like TMP's ending the best, as it shows the Enterprise warping off to her next adventure, which has always seemed right. TUC's ending is moving because it's the end of the line for Kirk and company, but it's not how I think of the original crew.

--Sran

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I say TWOK. After a good fight and loss of a main character, the unsuspected ending left a lasting impression on me the most after the first time I watched it.

3. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, it was STVI. The perfect end to TOS. Everything was wrapped up nicely.

Then bad things happened a few years later....

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

• TMP had a great ending. Left the possibility of more adventures.
    • TWoK had an optimistic ending despite the tragedy that occurred a few minutes earlier. Spock's funeral is touching, hearing Leonard Nimoy say the famous Trek speech was wonderful, and it instilled hope. However, it loses points for obviously setting up a sequel.
    • TSFS never felt like a true ending to me. Somehow, it always seemed to just trail off.
    • TVH had a decent ending, a bit too contrived and though I hate to condemn it for what followed, the beginning of TFF negates it, as we learn shortly after we left the characters, the Enterprise conked out, somehow got a bridge overhaul and everyone went on Shore Leave, except Scotty, who was left to clean up the mess.
    • Arguably, the ending of TFF is the best part of the movie. However, again, it is ruined a bit by it's sequel. TUC begins sometime later with Kirk back to hating Klingons. While I don't expect the ending of TFF is enough to change Kirk's opinion of his life-long enemies and Kruge's race, TFF made it seem like he'd at least soften on his view of them
    • TUC had a bit of a downer ending. After saving the day, again, the Enterprise is just to report home to be decommissioned, only to have it fly off into the sun.
    • Generations had a good ending. Far from my favorite movie in the series, its ending is very well done. Picard shows growth and gets closure on his brother and nephew's deaths. Again, it's a hopeful ending
    • FC had a decent ending, but it felt like a "Well, everything's honkey dorey, time to take off" kind of ending
    • INS had the weakest of the TNG movie endings. Made worse by the fact that you realize the Enterprise is stuck inside the Briar Patch without warp capability
    • NEM had a good ending, which appears mostly in deleted scenes.

So, I give it to TMP, with TWoK and Generations as runner-ups.

5. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too, like TMP's ending the best. I remember the first time I saw the movie, and was somewhat underwhelmed, but the ending "The human adventure begins!"

I was like "holy shit, they are just beginning!". When I saw TWOK it had a completely different tone to it. I liked it, but it did not feel like it lived up to the promise of TMP.

6. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

For me it´s a tie between TMP and TFF. The end of TMP conveys that sense of wonderment and the curiosity to explore, while at the end of TFF I´m getting that "TOS vibe" again - as in most scenes in that movie with Kirk, Spock & Bones. That to me would have been a much better ending to the original crew´s run than TUC (or GEN).
    I vote for TFF simply because I don´t think many others will :)

7. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Darn right, I think there is a world of a difference between John Masefield and a nursery rhyme, regardless how accurate it may be ("...is but a dream") :devil:

I was torn between TMP and TUC, but felt that TMP didn't come across that natural and honest as TUC in comparison.

Bob

8. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Sometimes the simplest things contain the most truth and wisdom ;)

9. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

TMP "Out there... thataway..."

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

A tie with TMP and TUC for me.

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5q6WgDpVys[/yt]

This ending was pretty damn fabulous in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  12. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... AGREED! That was awesome. :cool:

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I dare anyone to watch the final moments of TUC and not get a little choked up. And then the crew literally "signs" off with a final flourish.

My first thought was everybody joyously splashing around in San Francisco Bay in ST IV, but I guess that's not actually the end of the movie.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ "joyously"? I think Jimmy Doohan would disagree once you continue watching this deleted scene from the film in the end credits. :D

Bob

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, the scene was joyous at least! :)