Are many of you going to "spoil" yourselves next week?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by themadhatter, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And a not very convincing Irishman on Fantasy Island (I am Mr. Rourke, your host.)

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

This. One million times this.

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Never really understood why people are so concerned, one way or another, with spoilers. Perhaps I don't understand this because I am a voracious reader, and the vast bulk of films I'm interested in are based on books which I've been sufficiently interested in, that I've already read them.

If I wasn't interested enough in a story to read the book, why the hell would I be interested in a screen adaptation of said book?

I am pretty much accustomed to seeing films where I know most all the major plot points and twists, well in advance of going to the theatre.

Having foreknowledge of what's going to happen in a film has rarely, if ever, "spoiled" the film-going experience for me. (If that weren't the case, I'd likely never again see any movie that was based on a historical event.)

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It was bad writing that made Reliant a threat. Kirk was required to ignore every regulation in the book in order for Reliant to get close enough to the Enterprise with its shields still down.

But The Wrath of Khan is still a great movie.

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Screen adaptations are never a carbon copy of the books upon which they are based. There are always differences that may, or may not, be interesting in and of themselves and would be more effective the first time without any foreknowledge of them. An original screenplay should offer many more such moments.

I don't mind a few hints about a film or book and I won't avoid seeing a film or reading a book if it's been "spoiled". However, whenever possible, I prefer a first-time reading or viewing or listening experience to be uncluttered with too much advance knowledge. There can only be one "first-time experience" and I prefer not to have it "spoiled".

Subsequent viewings, readings and listening sessions offer me a way to appreciate different aspects of a particular work (assuming it warrants subsequent visits) but I still want a fresh version the first time out.

The Sixth Sense, for example, is something I would probably have not enjoyed nearly as much as I did the first time I saw it if the "reveal" had been known to me beforehand. I enjoyed it a second time, but in large part, that was owing to watching my wife watching it for the first time and seeing her reactions to various elements of the film (as well as wondering if she would figure out the "reveal" ahead of time). I also was interested to see if there were any glaring errors that should have alerted me to the "reveal" the first time through--I found nothing in particular. I was able to spot the clues, being in on the reveal, but they were skillfully and subtly presented.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to be spoiled for this movie (or any other) but there is merit in a first-time "unspoiled" experience that makes me resist major spoilers.

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love spoilers. The more the better. Bring em on.

7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Therin of Andor, will probably "soil" himself, today. :guffaw:

8. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I've grown a bit cold on the movie based the advertising campaign so my strategy is to read the spoilers tonight/tomorrow, let it soak in and hopefully by the time I see it on the 15th I'll sort of just accepted it all and just let myself enjoy the spectacle of it by that point.

9. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I have little willpower, but I'll try to resisit. In the end, I'll more than likely read everything posted about the film.

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, I'm content to wait to see the film. I'd rather get my info as the film unfolds.

11. themadhatter

themadhatter Ensign Newbie

For the record, it's now 10:46 am on April 23rd in Sidney Australia. I guess some of you won't be visiting this site tomorrow, especially since spoilers will probably start trickling in, oh about the time for my morning commute (central time).

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was only one major spoiler I had to know, now I do and while I am disappointed, :( it's not a deal breaker.

13. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome!

I have had as many spoilers as I can take. If I read the 28-minute thread and came away wishing I hadn't read it. I've told this story in here before, but I enjoyed Insurrection because I knew very little about the story. Just that it was "fountain of youth." Contrast that to Star Trek (2009), where I knew Vulcan was destroyed, and it ruined the lead-up. As soon as they said "emergency on Vulcan," I knew how it would end. I wasn't captivated by it at all. I have a framework, what I call it, created by the spoilers, expectations, for how this movie will turn out. And they will play into or against those things. I have learned my lesson. After I see this movie, before the next one, you will not see me in here clicking and responding to threads. I want it to remain a secret. I will see the teaser trailer and that's all. I don't want breakdowns telling me
    The Klingon birds of prey are in it, or that Kirk commits a violation of the Prime Directive to save Spock, etc
    I want to be shocked and captivated by the movie when I see it.

14. Mordock

Mordock Commander Red Shirt

I am going in cold; I think I'll have more fun that way. I haven't even watched any of the trailers. All I know about the movie is that it's going to have an excellent performance from Beckham Cummerbund, and that's all I need to know.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was going to try and stay as pure as possible, even quit coming here but a couple of friends thought it was necessary to text me spoilers after the Sydney premiere. After that I also read some things online.
    So I still don't know many details but I do know stuff.

16. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I guess the only thing I want to know is the true identity of Cumberbatch's character. Because if it's the obvious character that shall not be named, then I want to know that going in, so I'm not waiting for them to do the reveal instead of enjoying the build up.

If it's something out of left field, then I want to go in cold.

Anyone care to help me out?

17. SalvorHardin

He is
    Khan

18. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am curious. For this movie, did they
    change Khan's backstory to explain why the rather impressive looking Sikh warrior now looks like a decidely non-exotic dude?

19. SalvorHardin

^I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. Someone with more spoiler knowledge will have to help.

20. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

:bolian:

Thank you!