New catalog entries - CLB, Ward, and DRGIII

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's been the pattern for a number of recent years -- TOS concentrated in one half of the year and 24th-century stuff concentrated in the other half.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay! This is terrific news I've been wanting to see a anotherTng/Ds9 crossover miniseries .Having a series of books take place in a sixty day period sounds really intriguing.Like someone said this does remind me of the mission Gamma books series.:techman:I'm definitely looking forward to reading these books.

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it also just makes sense to release them back-to-back given the realtimey concept. You wouldn't want to sabotage the pacing by long publishing gaps.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw that, the sound that followed was me suppressing my excitement as best I could so my coworkers wouldn't have more proof that I've lost my mind. I was hoping for just one book but wow this is cool!

6. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

Boy do I hope whatever falls isn't what I think it is.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Romulus? That's my wild guess. Is this the 2387 story? :)

8. F. King Daniel

When I thought this was a one-book thing, I thought Section 31 and the apex of the Sarina/Bashir plot. But 5 books, and a TNG/DS9 focus, and I say it's the Typhon Pact.

Although I'd LOVE an epic novelverse version of the Hobus supernova, I'm not entirely sure Pocket are even allowed to feature stuff from STXI. So far we've had lots of nice little nods to the movie, but nothing big.

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

In the novels I believe we are upto 2384 or is it 2385, so we are still 2 or 3 years away from he supernova that Spock was trying to stop with the Jellyfish in the Romulan sector. So it's not that Pocket's not allowed to use that stuff from the movie, it's just that the books are still not caught up on what occurred between 'Nemsis' and the 2009 movie.

Remember, between 'Insurrection' and 'Nemsis' there was about 2 years of story time, but between 'Nemesis' and the 2009 movie there's about a decade of time.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The other shoe.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually The Fall is the first of four miniseries, to be followed by The Winter, The Spring, and The Summer.

No, I'm kidding. Actually it's a saga revolving around the Klingon house of U'Shur...

Would you believe it's about a crisis caused by plummeting prices on the Ferengi stock market?

12. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This made my day! LOL :guffaw:

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol:

14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we (kind of) know that David Mack and Dayton Ward will write two of the other novels in this series. Both mentioned in recent podcast interviews that they are involved with a multi-book miniseries scheduled for late 2013. Neither mentioned the name The Fall, but I think both were recorded before the latest blurb in the catalog surfaced (Mack's was recorded at NY Comic Con and I think Dayton's was recorded sometime last week based on the conversation), so that's probably why.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's just that they aren't allowed to do stories set in the Abramsverse.

16. F. King Daniel

I don't think it's about in-universe timelines. Big corporations and legal departments don't think in those terms.

I recently read the CBS' rules for Star Trek fan films (a completely different beast to licenced novels, but bear with me), and one of them was that NOTHING originating from JJ Abrams' rebooted Trek is to be mentioned or seen - and an offhand comment about George Kirk's time on the USS Kelvin was cited as an example of what would get a fan film pulled.

The novels obviously don't have such a strict policy (unless the little references we've had to the movie thus far are really "getting stuff under the radar"), but I strongly suspect that Pocket were told to lay off JJ's movie concepts, not just his alt-history.

Of course, I may be totally wrong and Pocket are just biding their time until we're closer to 2387 in-universe, when we'll get loads of stories centred on Red Matter, squiggly Vulcan ships, transwarp beaming and the supernova.