DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I think Jason's hair is another New52 change. Pre-crisis it was red. Post crisis it was black, then Morrison brought it back to red. Now it's black again.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see where the confusion would come in. Bruce approached Jason sometime prior to Batman Inc and gave him this "mission". It would appear to be sometime after his confrontation with Dick and Damian (when he had Scarlet as his sidekick) and prior to his current Red Hood gig with the Outlaws, that's just my own theory though based on what we've seen so far.

4. OdoWanKenobi

Wingman is an additional identity. He's still Red Hood. He just acts as Wingman when he's working in a capacity for Batman Inc.

I think it helps if you don't try to rationalize anything that happens in Batman Inc. with the rest of the DCU. Think of it as its own thing.

5. Admiral_Young

We do know that the second volume has at least acknowledged a couple of New 52 plots (the stuff from the first New 52 Batman and Robin arc for instance) and that book referenced the bounty on Damian's head that Talia put...but I think that's been about it. It's been mostly unclear where things are supposed to fit in with the New 52 timeline.

6. OdoWanKenobi

Yet certain things are out of order. Damian killed Doctor Daedalus in Leviathan Strikes which takes place before the New52. Yet in an issue Batman Inc, Batman speaks as if this occurred after Damian killed NoBody. Damian killed NoBody in the first New 52 arc of Batman and Robin, so the timeline here is kinda messed up.

7. Admiral_Young

Oh I agree, it's a complete mess. Plus of course without Final Crisis occurring that means we don't even have Bruce's original reason for starting Batman Inc intact any more! LOL. Plus Dick's year as Batman in the five year timeline. Anyway. Just a magnificent issue and I think my favourite one of the second volume so far.

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's not just me? The red hair thing may not have happened, thereby not requiring an explanation?

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe he decided to dye his hair for awhile? :p

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That one was kinda obvious from the start since 1) the character had to be male and 2) had once done time as a villain. Jason was the only one who fit the role plus in his own book and in B&R he is on friendly terms with Bruce.

11. Derishton

If we were expected to see the connections between a series we're told is "before the new 52" / no longer in real continuity and a bunch of series in which we have no idea how the last "five years" really worked, I'd consider that to be unfair play. How can I be expected to look for clues in series I'm told have nothing to do with Batman Inc, especially if those clues are "done time" and "is male"? It could be Catman, for all I know. Azrael. This is exactly one of those "in the gaps" between continuities moments that is driving some of us nuts. A murder mystery where the identity of the murderer is revealed in clues in an otherwise unrelated cook book is a failed mystery.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish new 52 was a real reboot.. an honest to goodness reboot. For example, Batgirl really was weighed down by the paralysis story that survived the complete retoolong. I kind of just wished they started Batgirl over from scratch.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This is something that has irked me for a few years now. DC cowtows to Morrison like he is a demigod. "write our books and we will do whatever you ask"

This same crap led to the Bulls__t that was Countdown to Final Crisis really having nothing to do with the actual Final Crisis.

Morrison is a fine writer and I like a lot of what he does, but if he can't play with the team then he should leave and do his own thing.

14. Admiral_Young

I think Morrison has been affected by editorial as well during the relaunch. At NYCC he stated that he originally intended "Action Comics" to be six issues, and editorial asked him to extend it to a full twelve issue. Plus we know there are issues with Batman Inc.

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think DC Editorial lets Morrison do what he wants (mostly), but then they go ahead and do what they want as well. Then they hope no-one notices that none of it makes much sense.

16. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah, like the case with Perez, where they didn't tell him what Morrison was doing with Action. I'm also not saying that Morrison isn't without fault, because we do know he tends to ignore stuff at times and do his own thing, but I don't really feel like he is too blame in any of this stuff.

17. Derishton

I don't blame Morrison for Countdown to Final Crisis - he's made it pretty clear that he wasn't happy with Queseda's decision to screw around with the New Gods, essentially contradicting and sometimes retelling pivotal events from Final Crisis itself. Without Countdown, I think more people would acknowledge that Final Crisis is actually a masterpiece. With Batman Inc, it really was there first, and it really annoys me that DC published this epic over six years and then screwed around with the franchise by allowing Snyder to duplicate the plot in the Owls arc. That's now a pattern on DC's part: "Good idea, Grant, now we're going to tell the same story in a slightly different way at the same time."

I haven't read Perez's run, but it might have been nice of DC to simply let the two men tell their stories and then sort it out later, if continuity was a problem. They're both huge talents. As readers, we should've felt spoiled for choice.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Quesada?

19. Admiral_Young

Stephanie Brown is back. She will be appearing in Batman: 'Lil Gotham digital comics starting today I believe.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/lil-gotham-fridolfs-nguyen.html

I might check these out. Right now I'm loving the heck out of Yale Stewart's JL8 series (formerly known as Little League). I have never thought much of "kid" or "baby" character type stuff but Yale's work is exceptionally fun. There are 84 issues and they're presented in comic strip form. Seriously good.

http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/

20. Derishton

Oops! Didio. You say tomato?