The Secret Circle(The CW) *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll certainly check out The Secret Circle, but that preview makes Ringer look like more my speed - if they manage to keep up a taut thriller storyline, I'm in. That's a challenge in a year-long TV season. Good luck to them!

PS, I'm also going to give The Vampire Diaries another shot over the summer. I'm curious why so many people outside the target demo of teenage girls seems to love it. ;)

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Here are the premiere dates...
    https://www.tv.com/vampire-diaries-ringer-supernatural-get-premiere-dates/story/26087.html

I put :bolian: next to stuff I will be watching. :D

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah excellent. "The Secret Circle" comes on after "Community" Thursday night. No conflict for me. A Tuesday night show for me to watch in "Ringer". That's pretty rare. I can't think of TV that I've ever watched on Tuesday before.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

'The Secret Circle' & 'The Vampire Diaries' will have panels at Comic-Con.

Link.

Not surprising...but cool. :)

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Sally Waltman In The Secret Circle After All?

http://www.ksitetv.com/7120/sally-waltman-in-the-secret-circle-after-all/

The bold part might interest some...but I wonder if they can find an actress that sparked as much "love" as Allison Mack did on Smallville. :p

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Willa Holland could work.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

9. Temis the Vorta

I'm catching up with The Vampire Diaries - I just zap the teen angst stuff and watch for the complex plotting and the historical connections - I find I like the adult characters better overall than the teens and counter-intuitively, prefer Stefan to Damon (who, despite being amazingly hot, seems overly one-note whereas there's a lot they can do with Stefan).

I'm posting that here because based on the books, how much is The Secret Circle like The Vampire Diaries in terms of being Twilight-ish, having historical elements, having interesting adult characters, having a complex plot that keeps building, etc? It it basically TVD with witches, or does it have a distinct quality?

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

11. Temis the Vorta

So the books might take place in the same universe? That could be fun. :D

Just at first blush, I think I'm going to like the lead actress for TSC better than Elena, and witches seem to have more story possibilities than vampires, which are kinda hemmed in by expectations of how vampires work.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am not sure about that exactly...but I did read that there wouldn't be any TVD/TSC crossovers...which is fine I'd like the 2 series to stand on their own.

Britt Robertson is awesome. I don't dislike Nina Dobrev and I like how she handles playing both Elena & Katherine...but I adore Britt. :adore:

13. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

*Warning: spoilers for TSC and TVD books ahead. Not spoiler-tagging because they've been out for over a decade, and because it should be obvious that answering this question requires spoiling the books.*

As someone who's only read the books, I can say that The Secret Circle books have a bit of the historical element, actually more than the book Vampire Diaries do (from what I've gleaned through online osmosis, I understand that the TV TVD made Stefan and Damon Civil War-era humans, not 15th century Italians.) The Secret Circle books contain the occasional flashback/vision to a 17th century timeframe, and the antagonist is actually a witch from that time frame who managed to make himself immortal via use of a crystal skull and some magic.

I like the Secret Circle books a lot better than the Vampire Diaries ones. All of LJ Smith's books are fairly similar (heck, some of the character tropes get re-used between her series) but I found the characters of TSC to be more likeable overall. Neither of the book series features many adult characters, and in TSC most of the people who would figure to be adult characters are dead (half of the titular Circle's parents died trying to stand up to the antagonist, while the other half were too cowardly to go.) I suppose the TV show could get some interesting material from the surviving parents, and there are a few older relations who are interesting (Cassie's grandmother being the main one.) Another big spoiler, which I don't know if the Secret Circle TV show people will do: in the books, there's the whole "Luke, I am your father" twist with Cassie and the antagonist.

I know they'll have to have cut a bunch of characters, but in the books, the coven was composed of 12 witch families who'd married and interbred since Salem witch trial times (somehow without incest, but I chalk that up to the author being not very good with genealogy.) The families were part of a small town called New Salem, and there's a lot of tension between the witchy families and ordinary people. So the writers could get a lot of small-town-dynamic out of that.

As for slowly building plot with multiple elements, they're about the same. There's definitely the teen romance stuff, but it's less Twilight-ish than TVD. (FWIW, I enjoyed these books a LOT more than Stephenie Meyer's, but there's a certain amount of nostalgia - I found TVD/TSC when I was in middle school and therefore target age for this stuff.)

Also, I saw the same news note (on Hypable) about how, although TVD and TSC could be set in the same universe, but at the moment the creators don't plan on any crossovers or actually having them set in the same universe. Based on the source material, I think the writers could get a lot of mileage out of TSC, moreso than I would've thought for TVD.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

15. Admiral_Young

^ Count me in as excited. The teasers and TV spots (which just seem to constantly repeat) are impressive and you know me Jet...I'm not exactly a CW mark lol.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

New trailer...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Secret-Circle-Trailer-1035498.aspx

I know they showed the pilot at Comic-Con last night.

[edit] http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/2011-comic-con-warner-bros-tv-pilots/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  17. Admiral_Young

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, are you saying Italians aren't Human? ;)

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://www.ksitetv.com/7309/comic-c...robertson-casts-a-spell-on-the-secret-circle/

KSite interview with Britt Robertson.

As a fan of Life Unexpected I am glad she is part of this and she seems excited to do something different. :)

There is more there so read all of it at the link. :techman: