TOS Class F3 shuttlecraft....almost forgotten.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'd almost forgotten about this. This was my last proposal for a "real" TOS version of the high-speed scoutship we saw in TAS' "Slaver Weapon." But real life interfered and this entire project is about a year behind schedule.

Man, I gotta get this going again.

And here is the concept I had previously.

2. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lookin cool so far.

The only door, then, is in the aft? Interesting.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Well the TAS Copernicus only had the aft hatch and the TOS Galileo type only had the one side hatch so I'm being consistent.

4. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Wow. Always loved your work, and the thought behind it. (I may have to borrow your dark blue-on-white diagram style...I really like that:) Always fascinating. That bottom concept in progress is really nice...love to see how you develop it.

5. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Kirk ordered it that way. He always liked going in the rear. Ask any of the women he's been with.

:lol:

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Actually the curvier bottom concept was the initial idea that I abandoned for the more angular design. I felt the curvy design looked too TMP and not enough TOS and I wanted something that bridged the two periods more recognizably. Looking at it, though, it might be worthwhile to further the design. Or I might simply keep it on file for some more original non Trek future project.

7. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome back. :techman: I have always loved your designs. They make a great deal of sense and look real cool.

I have also favored your bottom initial design and had hoped to see where it would go.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I haven't forgotten about this. It's just that real life intervenes.

Anyway I've been thinking about this recently and doing some quick sketches. My current thinking is to revisit the TAS design yet with a slightly different perspective. I still want to make it look more believable while retaining something of its appearance, but it does require rethinking some elements.

- We see a forward viewport on the TAS design and then a long bow section. Trying to stick to that always upsizes the design. I'm thinking that the top section with the viewport at the fore really isn't a viewport at all, but perhaps some sensor array. I did much the same thing with the forward window panels on the exterior of the Class F. With that in mind I can fashion a main hull (roughly similar to what I've posted upthread) and then add a small section on top that from a distance could be mistaken for a series of rather thin viewports set high in the ceiling.

No matter what I do the final design will be shorter and a bit stubbier than the TAS rendering. It has to be because it can't be done any other way and still fit into a starship hangar. So what I'm presently contemplating is something somewhat similar to what you see below but a bit sleeker.

[​IMG]

9. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Love your work warped9 I'm still building one of your shuttles this one will be also on my list great work !!!!

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. There are aspects of the above design I like very much, but I think I can do better.

11. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I'd still love to see that concept fully fleshed out... I think it has mucho potential. IDK... if you don't wanna do it, is it okay if I have a go at it?

I agree that I would love to see your shuttle projects moving along again! :D

12. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I really like this. Hopefully you keep it simple with the nacelle connection...

13. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I always wondered why the shuttles always had the nacelles below instead of in a high position where they would avoid damage from below or from rough landings.
    Also, most starships ( at least most starfleet ships) have the nacelles in a high position.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We can assume the shuttlecraft are more rugged than they look. And the design does have a practical aspect in that the gangway hatch doesn't have to reach to the ground as the nacelle itself serves as a form of step. You can also access the nacelles more easily for service and repair if they're low to the ground as opposed to high up over your head.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From the very beginning the challenge of making the TAS design "real" was having something more reasonably sized yet still resembled what we saw onscreen. I've come to the conclusion that you either do something quite different with little resemblance, have something homely looking or just plain forget about it.

But it's just possible I've hit on something. The image below is a blown up sketch of what I have in mind. Essentially the cabin viewports are slimmed down and taken as a sensor array atop the main hull. The craft has no actual forward viewports, but rather a main display like the bridge of the Enterprise that simulates a viewport (as well as being an information display). The idea is similar to what I did with the Class F shuttlecraft. This approach allows me to come up with a design more reasonably sized while creating an illusion of a craft with small viewports and an oversized bow section.

Well that's the approach I'm taking and I rather like it. And note that I have sketched the heavy lander design in a similar fashion (but not shown here).

[​IMG]

The other reason I'm inclined to ignore the big forward viewport is because it doesn't seem to really fit the TOS universe. And it looks rather odd. Now I'm only estimating at this point, but this design will still fit into the hangar bay although only for rendezvous purposes. It should be about the same height overall as a Class F while being distinctly longer and wider, but not too much.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  16. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

That's a nice approach, and I think that this could work really well... I am just trying to size this craft up, to get an accurate idea of how big it'd really be.

17. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice Warped9 :techman:

Just a random thought - if the body width was reduced in half and add a chin and dorsal phaser turret and you've got a Huey Cobra like gunship companion for the standard shuttlecraft :D

18. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work. :techman::techman: Nice take on the shuttle. I like where this is going. It is always great to see your artwork again. :techman::techman:

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. Well I'd like to keep it no more than 35ft. in length and hopefully a bit less, but I don't want he craft to get too stubby or it loses its recognizable shape.

You can't see it well here, but on the TAS design there's something like an elongated arrowhead shape on the lower part of the forward section. I rather like interpreting that shape as a form of indentation in the side of the craft to give it more interesting surface contouring. Of course I'll retain the aft set access hatch. The interior ceiling height will be similar to my Class F design although the ceiling will slope forward to fit more snugly into the angle of the forward hull. That's not a problem since it's the forward console and the main viewing display that will be there and no need to have upright standing space. The main cabin will be a bit longer than the Class F's and about the same width. The aft cabin can also be an airlock.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

These are the most recent drawings.

[​IMG]