The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Maybe they're one and the same? The ocean and moon spirits had to have come into the physical world from the spirit world somewhere, maybe once through they didn't get very far? I mean they're fresh water fish stuck in a pond, surrounded by a salt water ocean, no? ;)

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Found this...

[​IMG]

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, Bumi defiantly takes after his uncle. Kya just looks weapons grade adorable!

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not sure how I felt about tonight's episode. I'm still having a hard time caring about this season's story. I think part of the problem is that I just don't seem to connect with these characters the way I did with the characters in "The Last Airbender," so watching their individual stories unfold isn't all the exciting to me. It didn't help that this episode was completely without Korra until the end (and yay, she has amnesia...).

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind having a Mako / Bolin starring episode since they haven't had much to do this season, but I would have liked a Tenzin family subplot to go with it. I called the crazy tycoon engineering the war for profit several episodes ago (but I still like him!).

My one big problem is Amnesiac Korra. I *hate* amnesia stories. :barf:

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I am liking it so far though last night's story only really progressed in the last five minutes but The Last Air Bender had a few stand still episodes too.

Bolin isn't the hero I pegged him for but I guess he never really wanted to be. In the first season he was thrown in it because one of his teammates wanted to be a hero and the other was the Avatar. That plus that love triangle plus being left out at the beginning of this season is a fine enough reason to do what he did in last night's episode, and I wouldn't mind seeing Bei Fong replace him as the chief rock bender.

7. Agent Richard07

Yeah, this was probably the least interesting episode of both series', but at least we got to see more of Asami who's been sidelined this season. By the way, do a Google image search for korra asami. There's lots of fan art out there. ;) Then there's Varrick. I pegged him as comic relief. I didn't think he was up to anything, so that was a surprise. This was more of a filler episode, probably a first for either series but next week, we'll get the goods.

Steve Yeun of 'The Walking Dead' to join 'Korra' panel at NY Comic-Con, plus look at first Avatar -- EXCLUSIVE

[​IMG]

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It did indeed. I don't really mind when episodes don't advance the plot, but they still have to be entertaining. The Last Airbender's standalone episodes were usually fun, even if they didn't have anything to do with the main story. Bolin is the comic relief on the show, but unfortunately I think he just comes across like a cheaper version of Sokka.

9. Agent Richard07

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

As long as the director of the last movie stays away, I'm cool with it.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised by the reaction to the episode here. I thought it was great. I wouldn't really call it a stand alone or episode or even say that it had nothing to do with the season's plot. It didn't focus on the Spirits/Civil War arc, but we did deal with the attack from the previous episode, we got more stuff with Bolin's acting, and of course the stuff with Varik. I thought Bolin's movers were funny, and it was nice getting more Asami again.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call it standalone; we learned that Varrik was instigating the Water Tribe civil war for war profiteering. It just didn't star Korra or Tenzin.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a great episode. It was nice to see one that focused primarily on Mako, Bolin and Asami rather than Korra and Tenzin. I wasn't a huge fan of Mako in the first season, I thought he was kind of bland then, but I've been enjoying him more this season.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying him more this season because he's a cop and not a pro-bender. I really did not like the entire pro-bending storyline. And I like the fact that he's trying to follow the rule of law while his girlfriend is off playing rebel without a cause.

15. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

gumble grumble

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Beginnings"

What an incredible episode. I was absolutely riveted for every single second. My one huge complaint? The story of Yun should have been an entire season. It was amazing!

I particularly interested to learn the first human civilizations lived on the backs of Lion Turtles who lent them the elements. I'd like to have learned more about the Lion Turtles and their motivations. Why did they pick those elements? Why did they trust the humans with it?

I was hoping Koh the Face Stealer's origin would be here. Oh well. I was hoping he would turn out to be the oasis guardian or the main evil spirit.

Anybody else think the spirit guardian of the oasis looked a lot like Momo?

Looks like this season/book is going to be about Korra defeating the great evil spirit for another 10,000 years. This is a battle on a larger and more important scale than anything Aang did!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  17. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Beginnings" was one of the best Avatar episodes ive ever seen. this show is only getting better. and now, the stakes are high.

18. Agent Richard07

"Beginnings" was indeed a great two-parter and now this season's story has finally fallen into place. Korra must deal with that portal, something that hasn't beeen dealt with since the first avatar. It also has me thinking about what we might expect in Book Three. I even have a title in my head but I won't share it just yet. I also like that we got the story of the first avatar. It dragged a little and I wondered if they'd ever be able to cram in what wee needed but in the end, they did. And I agree with what you said Mr Light. Wan's story would have made a great show or season-long arc.

More stuff…

- Wan wasn't a bender. He was given the power of fire first by a lion turtle. Maybe we could say that he started as a firebender. A number of people online were speculating on what element he might possess and fire came up as the best guess because of the colors he wore.

- I liked that Wan wasn't a goody-goody ultra noble guy. He was a bit mischievous and did what he had to do to survive. Not every hero is a saint and I like that this was reflected on the show.

- I wasn't totally clear on one thing… Did Wan possess 3 elements with Raava holding onto air until she merged with him?

- Now we know a little more about how bending works. The lion turtles granted the humans an element for a short time, then when they left for good, the humans who were already benders kept their bending but passed them on to their children through their genes (or whatever else gets passed on). This had me thinking about the discussion we had a few weeks ago about whether or not bending could be acquired by non-benders. Could people appeal to the spirits or a spiritual force to get an ability afterall?

- We also know a little more about how the avatar works. Wan was successful in appealing to many lion turtles in order to get more elmements. Then he merged with Raava who looks to be serving as a source of power we now know as the avatar spirit. I wonder… Could others do this as well? Could something like this happen again once the spirit door opens? You know, appeal for some bending then get yourself a spirit guide and voila! You're just like the avatar! I'm not ignoring any counterarguments from the discussion we had, I've taken away a lot to think about, but I'm still keeping an open mind about what might be possible. Or at least, could we see a "dark avatar" if someone merges with Vaatu?

- I wondered if the avatar could access any lifetime no matter how far back, but here it almost looked as if these first few lives are so deep that concentration on that level might be difficult. That could explain why Aang only went back to Roku mostly, along with the next three or why Korra's look back stopped with the last water tribe avatar.

- One more thing... Some of what we saw in this episode didn't totally mesh with what we've heard about bending. Supposedly people learned bending from badger moles, dragons, the moon and sky bisons but here, they were given bending. The only way I can reconcile this is maybe they simply honed their existing skills by watching the nature and the rest became folklore.

Looking forward to the rest of the season more than ever.

19. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plz rename thread to The Legend of Wan - Book One: Crazy Awesome.

20. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I think he held only one element at a time, when Raava went through him the first time she gave him air, which she held and took fire away, the same later with water and earth, he used one, she held the other three. The only time he used more than one element was when she possessed him and it became permanent after they bonded.

Yeah, by the time of The Last Airbender the Lionturtles seemed to be completely forgotten, it makes sense that people assumed bending came from emulating dragons, badgermoles etc., when in fact that only helped them to refine the abilities given to them by the lionturtles.
    It's ancient history that happened 10.000 years ago, inconsistencies between facts and what people believe happened are to be expected.