Would Picard have thought Worf would have made a "hell of a Captain"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by indolover, Mar 1, 2013.

1. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Sisko once said that to Worf on DS9, but would Picard have agreed?

2. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Would Picard have thought Worf would have made a "hell of a Captai

No.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Didn't Worf let millions die just to save Jadzia in "Change of Heart"?

4. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I agree with Heavy Lids. I don't think Picard would have said that I don't think Worf wuold have made a good Captain either.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Because Worf opted to save one instead of millions, Sisko told him that his career was pretty much dead, which makes his becoming an Ambassador a sensible career choice.

6. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I dont think the op was asking whether Worf would have become a captain but whether, at anypoint in the trek timeline, Picard might have shared Sisko's opinion that Worf would make a good captain.

Imho i dont think Picard would have thought of Worf as captain material during his time on the Enterprise. He was firmly in the security career track and although he was shown as being a younger officer still learning things and gradually being given more responsibility as the series went on it never seemed like the other characters expected him to ever rise above the role of security chief. During magic meeting room meetings his opinions/suggestings on how to handle the crisis of the week were nearly always immediately shot down by Picard or another staff spoke out against it even when no one else had a better idea. Combined with how the other staff seemed to like lecturing him on how he should embrace enlightened federation ideals more and adhere less to his violent klingon ideals it came accross imho as though they were holding him back from being his true self and this limited his potential.

I think Sisko was more openminded and more easily saw the potential in Worf, and in all of his staff, perhaps because of the way his own career went and also the shared situation of considering leaving starfleet made him see himself in Worf. Imho it always seemed like Worf was more accepted for he was and allowed to be himself on DS9 than on TNG. Maybe if Picard had visited DS9 and saw Worf doing successfully in the command track he could have had a 'Worf is doing great in the command track why did i never see his potential before now?' moment.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the other hand, Picard does put him in charge of the saucer section in "Farpoint" (over Worf's own objections).

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Worf was too hot-headed to be a Federation captain. Ignoring the Dominion War and how it changed the "tone" of the Federation and Trek (one of my many problems with DS9) Worf would not have been a good fit to command a starship on a mission to explore space and make peaceful contact with new civilizations. Nor would he be good to negotiate treaties or find diplomatic solutions to problems. Worf would have been a terrible Starfleet captain. He would've started a war on his first mission in command. Or he'd be too fearful and antsy of unknown to take the risks needed to truly be an explorer.

9. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

No, I don't think Picard would have thought that. And as we saw, even Sisko had to essentially rescend that statement.

And as much as I love the guy, I don't think Worf would be a good Starfleet captain. He's a good right-hand man, and he'll always have your back, but he's not Captain material.

I think the role of Klingon Ambassador was perfect for him and I'm sorry the post-Nemesis fiction took that away.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Worf is great when you need some muscle or some problem that needs to be dealt with like Duras or Gowron, but I think he would have problems as Captain. He has issues seeing the big picture. Not everyone needs to be captain anyway.

But he certainly has come a long way from the brainless brute he was in TNG's first season.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think with 10-20 years more of added maturity he would have made a good captain.

But we've seen what happens when Worf made command decisions in his TNG/DS9 tenures. Rules of Engagement is another case, he is such an emotional, instinctual decision maker he loses sight of the big picture in the moment.

12. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Considering it was his wife, I think slack should be cut. Even Sisko said he would have done the same thing. I can't imagine a man, unless he were some psychopath, abandoning his wife and letting her die.

13. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Yet Sisko actually said he'd make a good captain when dressing him down after the extradition hearing in Rules of Engagement. Even Picard wanted revenge against the Borg in First Contact and most likely would have got everybody on board killed or assimilated had he gone through with his plan.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I understand why he did it, but thinking about the number of deaths is still staggering.

Reminds me of when Riker DIDN'T abandon the planet the Enterprise was trying to save in "Final Mission", to search for Picard and Wesley's crashed shuttlecraft. He wasn't even ordered to help the planet.

But Starfleet were idiots sending a husband a wife together on such an important mission. Even real life military today doesn't do it because it is such a bad idea.

15. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just re-watched that ep ("Change of heart"), because of this thread.

It occurred to me that, had this been a TNG ep, the ending would probably have been very different (Picard dressing down Worf in a long speech about how Starfleet Duty comes before everything else, how disappointed he was in Worf, etc).

16. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

He didn't directly let millions die because of what happened in Change of Heart.

The informative had information. That information could have ended the war sooner, which could have saved millions of lives.

It's not like there were two buttons, one that said "Save Jadzia" and the other that said "Save millions of people." Semantics, perhaps, but just wanted to clarify.

Had it been a TNG episode, he would have found a way to complete the mission and save Jadzia.

I agree with the other who have said it, Worf makes too many emotional and impulsive decisions to be a Captain. Not that that's a bad thing, I think it's what makes his character so interesting.

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, we all presumably think Sisko was at least a somewhat good captain right? He admits he'd have made the same choice Worf did in Change of Heart so using that example against Worf's fitness for the chair seems unfair.

18. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

It was his wife. What more is there to say? :lol:

19. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No he would not agree.

20. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI

I have to disagree with you all. I do think Picard would tell Worf that he would make a good captain if only to encourage his growth away from Klingon aggression and towards Federation diplomacy.