The German Bookshelf

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Tarheel, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

As a German who hates the translations and doesn't own a single German Trek novel, I have to say, these covers look awesome.

I only recently saw them back to back for the first time at a local comic book store.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny that they do their own covers. Wouldn't Pocket Books just send them the covers? It would be cheaper for them, too.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooooh. Well done on the "Fallen Gods" German cover there!

4. MarkusRohde

MarkusRohde Cadet Newbie

And this is the final version:

[​IMG]

5. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Wowee that bookshelf looks very nice. Curious, what's the big fat one, 3rd on the top?

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Crucible: McCoy, The Provenance of Shadows. :)

7. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Ah. I had guessed that. Although, my copy isn't nearly as fat. The German version must have bigger print.

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ If I remember correctly Marco Palmieri did everything to keep the book at the usual price, so the print was rather small, the paper thinner than usual etc. Cross Cult on the other hand sold the book at a higher price.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

They do use the original covers a lot; I assume it just comes down to what they think of the originals.

10. Defcon

Yeah, that's pretty much what they said in posts on their forum IIRC.

MarkusRohde
    is the editor of the German ST novel line by the way, so if I do remember incorrectly I guess he will correct me.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget about first 13 TNG books (Farpoint-original silver front cover version + #'s 1-12) having the space spines.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sure but, as great as it is to have consistency in spine art, they can also become less competitive as fresher, newer book cover designs come into vogue and sit alongside them. I recall, in the 90s, readers maligning the distinctive Boris Vallejo TOS covers of the 80s (with others remembered with fondness) and then a backlash against the "floating heads" of the early TNG covers.

The starfield spines on TNG novels do look quaintly retro these days. Space hardware covers often leave me cold, but others love them. It's all very subjective, but we are arguing with trained marketers and designers, and their next job depends on success with the current one.

13. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

While the collection of Cross Cult spines looks great, I prefer my collection of mis-matched, non-conformist books. After all: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations!

14. MarkusRohde

MarkusRohde Cadet Newbie

You're correct. :bolian:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome. It's always nice when we get more members of the TrekLit publishing community here.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really like Cross Cult's covers for the Romulan War series. I also really like that they split it up into a trilogy. That story really could have used three books; it's a shame the latter two got condensed into the way-too-crowded To Brave the Storm.

17. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

What's up with the Mission Gamma covers being used on ten novels?

18. Defcon

Those spine pictures aren't necessarily from the the cover of the book they are on. For the first ten DS9 they went with the character pics from the Mission Gamma series and for the New Frontier series they went with specifically made character pics.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that does look sharp. Most of my purchases are kindle nowadays but I did finish out Vanguard with the MMPB version so the spines would look nice on my shelves. Same for the upcoming Lost Era book. I plan to do the same with Seekers.

20. Defcon

I think no one has posted the German cover drafts for the S.C.E./CoE books #5 - #8 yet:

Interphase 2

[​IMG]

Kalte Fusion (Cold Fusion)

[​IMG]

Unbesiegbar 1 (Invincible 1)

[​IMG]

Unbesiegbar 2 (Invincible 2)

[​IMG]