Arnold is on board for Terminator 5 and possibly 6

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Dec 4, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Skynet's gotten sneakier. They are building less imposing Terminators that look like old men, all the better to slip in undetected. ;)

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

You'll be waiting forever then. Cameron has said himself that he has no desire now to return to Terminator, stating that "the soup has been pissed in." I don't blame him.

I think the idea right now is that they probably are going to do time travel as a way to set up an alternate universe. That's fine by me if they're trying a Star Trek style reboot. I'm not sure if I care as much about the future war, especially if it's done as poorly as Salvation was.

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Cameron is too busy making his Avatar movies 2-9 to be doing any more Terminator. Shame.

Is Arnold actually on board? I haven't read anything about him signing up for it yet.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They already have.

5. Ryan8bit

I think though that it's going to be more deliberate, rather than giving an impression of continuity. Besides, that the Terminator movies don't 100% share continuity with each other isn't exactly a novel concept.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well, he ain't wrong... :(

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think it would be interesting to see Arnie as a Terminator that has been around so long that he has aged and learned to be almost human.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Just what we need, a 70 year old robot!

Let it die already.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well... there's always that which T4 halfway covered, then chickened out on: the final assault against/victory over Skynet. Featuring the T-1000000? I wouldn't mind seeing that thing in 3D again.

For such a first-tier franchise, the Terminator series really is in a tough spot to continue: Arnie's too old to play a Terminator, but not only would a reboot be virtually unthinkable (who could possibly replace him?), the series' whole cold war mindset is sorely outdated. And even if T1 were remade... so what? T1 is simply not a very big story; it's a low-budget techno-slasher flick, hardly a tentpole-sized sell to teenage newcomers or international audiences. The most obvious route is to do a more or less straight sequel to Salvation, but the movie would have to be damn good to overcome audience apathy toward revisiting the post-apocalyptic landscape that just isn't all that suited to sustaining a full movie.

Aye, I think that that - plus a very clear marketing hook of "this [T5] is the last battle" is the best way to go; don't leave anything on the field in some vain/misguided hope for a T6. And keep it to a lean 100 minutes at most.

... Although, truth be told, at this point I'd be more excited about seeing Arnie in a Prometheus 2. :p

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm ready for TRUE LIES 2.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Only if it has Jamie Lee Curtis... :devil:

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Arnold and Jamie Lee are preparing for their final mission. They are joined by daughter Eliza Dushku, who is taking up the family business.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, the T2 deleted scene that SHOULD have ended that movie.

And the franchise.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Next terminator: Faran Tahir.

You know you want it.

15. Savage Dragon

I've often thought this would be a great scenario for a True Lies sequel. I would totally go see it. They'd have to bring Tom Arnold and Grant Heslov on board to make it complete though.

16. Ryan8bit

Yeah, nobody can relate to that future, especially when the characters weren't even all that engaging. It's best to leave the future as brief scenes like in T1, while relating to people in the present.

Right there, that's why the obvious route is a reboot or some more time travel. And if that weren't enough, you'd think they might take a formulaic approach by looking at other franchises that rebooted when they were in the shitter. Star Trek and Batman are two pretty good examples of success.

If all they do is continue where Salvation left off, they're just pissing more in that soup.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Wow. I always thought I was the only one thinking this, but it's the obvious sequel isn't it?

18. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sadly I think T3, Terminator: salvation and Terminator:TSCC has polluted any real chance of anything decent out of the franchise.

I also feel the same way about the Alien and Predator franchises such potential only to be $#!t all over chasing the almighty dollar, let them rest a while then dust them off with something fresh and new.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I fear the world could not take such badassness.

20. Savage Dragon

Time to start a letter writing campaign!