"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

The horse head nebula! I love that. Only thing the carpeting on the bridge i think is a wrong idea. Looks like a cheap hotel. Who vacuums?

The main theme melody I had turned out to be Prokofieff. No wonder I thought it was so good. I have another. I better go back and check Prokofiev again though. Do you have a main theme yet? It reminds me a little of the Posieden Adventure. The plight of a little ship against all the odds struggling to survive and somehow miraculously makes it through, on a wing and a prayer and some moxy, unction, courage, will, brains and awesome tech pulling it out of a hat as it were.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Carpet on the set is to help deaden footsteps and echos. It's practical, and this is THE FUTURE where Roomba mk. MCMXI robotic vacuums keep everything tidy.

I've previously stated that we have a composer lined up and that said composer won't be writing the final music for the show until it's completely shot and the editorial process is close to completion. Even if we had a main theme selected, we wouldn't be sharing it at this point.

At this time we're focused on making the show not promoting it, which is why we haven't even released a teaser trailer even though the bulk of the show is already shot. It's why you haven't seen anything beyond carefully selected stills that don't give away too much.

3. xortex

Music sweeps you up in to the drama of the action by heightening it and makes it believable and makes you forget it's not real by making it unreal if it has the right intensity and impact. It's visceral and could be 100% of the production at times. It's a tug of war that and a marriage that filters in unreality. It sucks the words into an alternate dimension - a world of thought. It gives shape to ideas. It is a dream world and does as much to define a production as anything else. It is also the rudder that steers the ship clear of the coral reef where it could run aground and get lost, so relying on a strong, good main theme is not an unreasonable expectation. It's a simple baby with the bathwater truth. I.e., it could be slightly all important. If it were me I'd have two composers froma perspective stand point as neither they or you really know what they do and don't do well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this shot on a 5D Mark II?

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Maurice

The production has previously made arrangements with a composer whom we are confident can deliver what we need. We're sticking with that decision, but thanks for your interest.

7. xortex

Don't misinterpret me. I didn't say I was interested anymore, just that if it were me I would be staking out as many composers as possible and probably use at least two, if possible.

8. Maurice

I meant your interest in the production.

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? If the producers have found one that they think has the right stuff, can deliver on time and has a sound they like, then why have "as many composers as possible"?

Seems like a pointless exercise.

10. xortex

You know, I was just thinking about that. It's like finding a wife. Having more than one candidate is always useful else we all just marry our neighbors. Once again it's that mysterious meant to be thing that brings together forces like the ones that created TOS, otherwise anything adequate and competant would do. What's the difference as it were. Well that's the thing. Nobody knows nor can know until until something else is heard or presents itself. It could not even be concieved nor imagined. Limiting your options is stupid. That might exclude something great but can a creator really know what's he's done until after he's done it? No. I believe in having an open door policy but living on the second floor and keeping personalities out of the equation which btw killed Star Trek.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

To be blunt, whatever argument or point you are trying to make is lost in incoherent babble about TOS and wives.

There are a lot of words there, but very little is coherent. First, it seems to me that Dennis has assembled the team —or the forces — that has made his story a reality and hasn't limited his options, but rather smartly explored them.

But the difference between Trek and "Polaris" is that the former was an ongoing series while the latter is trying to get one film out of the gate before anything else. If getting everything in place is "limiting your options" then you clearly don't have an understanding of how to see a project from start to finish.

Moreover, it seems like you're peddling sour grapes because the "Polaris" team has already found its composer and isn't looking to find anyone else.

12. Maurice

The way this works in the real world is you evaluate several candidates and pick one to do the work. The marriage metaphor is perhaps apt, as you don't marry two women and discard one. You pick the one you think is right and marry her.

13. xortex

Yea, imagine that composer's reaction if he found out that Dennis has been carrying on with another composer all this time. One with more chromatic ninth chord progressions.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All right, you can drop this subject completely and finally any time you're ready - it's a settled issue and a moot point.

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Er ... I play a mean harmonica.

16. Maurice

Psion: sold! :D

17. xortex

And thus 'The Next Generation' was born.

18. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I can blow you away with my kazoo! :P

19. xortex

That was Deep Space nine.

20. Maurice

Is that a promise or a threat? :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011