After BSG, B5, Firefly & Ds9... what's left?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Was he talking about how he can get his treatment because he can afford it, but others can't because the NHS won't pay for it? That's what they seem to have him doing every time I've seen him.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Dunno I had to go to work. Since he's still early stage the NHS would fund his treatment.

3. Bob The Skutter

No, he's been on a few shows, and he was talking about how there's this treatment NICE say should only be given to late stage patients so the NHS won't fund it, but the doctors are saying it's best used in the early stages and his wife has said there's a very noticeable difference from since he started taking it.

4. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

That's pretty heartbreaking. Is it really that bad/far along?

5. Bob The Skutter

From what I've seen of him on shows lately, no not really. He says he's still writing a number of books, and the treatment he's on is helping. . He said he has his bad days, but he still seems to be pretty jovial about it.

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't think he's bad at all but he is time limited. He's also on a mission, it seems, so you don't let the one of the world's most successful authors fade away when he is a) English, b) a crowd pleaser and c) tubthumping.

7. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Two of my favorite shows might be worth a try

The Prisoner - Not really serialized heavily, but a solid Sci-fi show with good messages about individualism and Authority. There's some action, but it's mostly a talky affair. Very surreal, and not everything is explained.

Twin Peaks - Twin Peaks is only marginally sci-fi, so be warned, it is a genre blender. It takes a few episodes for the sci-fi fantasy element to even make itself prominent. However, I think you'd like it as it is heavy serialized week to weeks. It's one of the strangest and most mysterious shows I've ever seen. fanatastic.

and not recommended to you really, but more people should Watch the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series.....That's fantastic

8. Jim Steele

:techman:

9. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charlie Jade - Multidimensional corporate shenanigans. Charlie Jade is a private detective who gets sucked into a parallel universe while investigating Vex-Cor
    no R1 release yet, though it can be imported to the states, or obtained by other means

Journeyman - Dan Vasser spontaneously travels through time to influence certain individuals. He juggles his marriage, his job, and his mission to change the past. Really great show.
    not on DVD yet, though can be watched on Hulu

10. Jim Steele

Hmm, I'm slowly getting through this (episode 12 next) and I'm honestly wondering what all the fuss is about. So far it's been pretty pretentious, and a champion of style over substance. Does it get good in the latter half of the series?

11. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather liked it, though it may be a simple matter of taste . . . I mean, I enjoyed Starhunter, which is supremely campy, so I can't say for sure . . .
    one man's trash is another's treasure, as they say
    I did think it got better as it went along, though being only one season there were some threads left unresolved

12. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What he said. Here's a review of The Wire, limited spoilers through Season 3.

I have limited experience with most of the suggested shows, but Doctor Who takes a special kind of person to enjoy. I personally love it, as does my roommate, but I can completely understand why some people would not enjoy it. It combines everything - humor, horror, darkness, silliness - and is extremely rewatchable.

13. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Check out The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It's Bruce Campbell in a sci-fi western. Since you liked Firefly, you might enjoy this show.

Also, going back a few decades, I also recommend Wild, Wild West.

14. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I firmly plan to watch the New Dr. Who someday, when I can get my hands on the DVDs. Life gets so buys so often anymore, that it's hard to find the time. Even so, my son and several of my friends with viewing tastes similar to mine insist that I'd enjoy it.

15. Bob The Skutter

I think it did get better towards the end of the series once you get an idea of what's really going on, but I agree with ya.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

While I was a SFX subscriber the magazine went through its Babylon 5 phase, its Buffy phase and its Farscape phase. I'm assured that it's now going through a Doctor Who phase. During those phases nothing else got a look in.

Farscape's fans are louder, in fact they're just loud. The show was good, not great.

The problem is that it doesn't work. There's only one Star Trek. It's a genre on its own.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep saying it but people have got to see this. Legend of Galactic Heroes.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Enterprise, Season 3
    Just finished the DVD having not watched it since it first aired. Its awesome, the Xindi arc is fantastic

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah. Too much work.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I know what you mean. I've been trying to interest my best friend in Babylon 5 for years. He won't watch it because, as he says "That's more fantasy than science fiction". A view he has, despite never having seen a single frame of it.

The irony is, he loves Star Wars, which is alot closer to fantasy than it is to sci-fi.