Started DS9 all over again

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by admiral_reliant, Jan 24, 2014.

1. admiral_reliant

admiral_reliant Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have just started to watch DS9 again from the beginning and what a roller coaster ride.

For a pilot, Emissary is fantastic, especially Sisko's beef with Picard. I had forgotten how good it was and had to re-watch TNG Best of Both Worlds again too.

Going back to the beginning shows how the character development really moved on at a pace after season 3, in the first two seasons (I have just finished with The Maquis - season 2) Bashir is still very wet behind the ears, Kira full of anger and O'Brien seems to have a hard time of it all, I guess the best fleshed out character so far is Dax, but she still has plenty of growing to do.

I'm looking forward to the proper introduction of the Dominion, Odo finding his roots and Sisko becoming a proper bad ass.

Can't wait!!

FanST likes this.
  2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm about to start a DS9 run myself. I never completed the sixth and seventh season so I am looking forward to finally seeing them.

FanST likes this.
  3. admiral_reliant

admiral_reliant Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Season 6 and 7 are probably THE best sci-fi telly ever

FanST likes this.
  4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:techman: and to me, the best series finale I've ever seen. Brilliant.

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Well season 5 was also very good :)

FanST likes this.
  6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 5, I think, is the most consistently good season. Season 6 had the highest highs, but also the lowest lows. Season 7 gets bogged down a few times.

FanST likes this.
  7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Idd, In my opinion because they spent so many times on the new caracter, Ezri Dax.

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

they just needed 2 or 3 more seasons. ;)

9. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm going to rewatch DS9 once I finish Voyager. DS9 has always been my favorite of the Trek series, so I'm looking forward to it.

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

No. Just less filler. If DS9 had 7 Seasons of 13 episodes like the current cable model, it wouldn't be a forgotten series, it would be probably the greatest Sci-Fi show of all time.

11. Bad Thoughts

There was some non-Ezri centered badness as well: goofy evil-verse plots, Bashir hitting on his patients, Bashir running through Sloan's mindfuck. Moreover, a lot of the Ezri-Word stuff just substituted for the Jadzia-Worf stuff they would normally write (which may have been better, but still would have been a sideshow to the war narrative) and the derivative trills-have-multiple-personalities plots that they had every season (which normally underlined Farrell's bad acting against great guest stars).

Of course, all of that slowed down the season's momentum.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  12. Kev72

Kev72 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I really need to watch these -- I've seen a handful of them and have heard great things about the Dominion War.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm currently right at the start of S6 in a DS9 run. I definitely think the early episodes come off better when you know the characters better. But this is when the show is really at its most exciting. Next up is Rocks and Shoals, one of the series best.

FanST likes this.
  14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Have you checked out Avatar (not the movie, the DS9 books)?

With the original I'm actually just starting to rewatch DS9 myself. Of course, over the past few years I've been watching the series in stardate order, so starting with "Broken Bow" and going right through to "Endgame" & "Star Trek Nemesis" So right now I'm up to TNG Season 6/DS9 Season 1.

15. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

It's by far the most rewarding Trek series to watch beginning to end, episode by episode. I try to do it once a year, it's a great way to spend a couple days in the off-season.

I think Enterprise is a distant second in this regard, I enjoyed the continuing storyline and you get used to the terrible acting, lack of character depth and poor script-writing after a few episodes. Like jumping into a cold pool. Gives you shivers at first, but then you warm up to it. :)

16. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

I liked the fact that seasons 6 and 7 get bogged down. It properly illustrates war and how it has its lulls and highs

17. Bad Thoughts

I wish I could get into the novels, but I find the rehabilitation of Ro Laren to be contrived and unbelievable.

I wasn't pointing to the non-war episodes as being specifically the lulls. Indeed, it's almost impossible to find an episode that isn't peripherally connected to the war, and many of them are excellent. Given DS9's propensity to deny the celebration of victory, those episodes offer almost all the joy that the series can produce. And among the war episodes, Sons and Daughters, Covenant and Extreme Measures stand out as momentum killers (I'm also indifferent to Shadows and Symbols).

18. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Be nice!!! :p I'm redeemable!!

19. Bad Thoughts

To be more precise:
    • Ro Laren, kick-ass renegade: awesome!
    • Ro Laren, SF captain: contrived wish-fulfillment

More of the former, less of the latter, please.

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's definitely the most rewatchable Trek because it has the best humor, but I think seasons 3-6 TNG is equally rewarding.

I think that's the central theory of Netflix marathon viewing. Everything starts to look good because it becomes it's own standard for comparison. ;)