Any old timers still around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kgibsonuk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Did he join the Air Force? If that's who it is, I can't think of his name either.

If not, then never mind.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure. It's been some 8 or 9 years since we last talked. I remember that our opinions on war and politics differed extremely (he's a Belgian neo-Nazi. I am German and was born and raised in the flower power era). Also, at that time some pervert on TK posted a sickening picture of a person being run over and spread all over the road by a tank. That Belgian bloke found the photo funny! IMO definitely not normal, mentally. I broke off every contact with him.
    LOL it's funny how much I remember of him and still can't recall his name. It doesn't really matter, though. He's not exactly on my top 10.

I found some old chat logs from 2002-2004 but discovered that I had kept only those of friendly people. I am not sure if all of them were on TrekBBS. It's possible that some names from other boards (particularly from SlipstreamBBS) might have slipped in. In addition to the previous lists I found:

Cpt Dumbass
    Felonius Monk
    Borgs 8472 (possibly from German TrekBBS)
    Dr Phil (identical with King Phil?)
    Geckoboy
    Lexicdark (possibly from SlipstreamBBS)
    Oxymoron
    Phoenician Knight
    Soundzen

But since you mentioned the Air Force, Brother: There used to be a young poster named Worf and some number (4 digits I believe). He wanted to join the army or air force and go to war. I told him that this was something to be well considered as he might very easily get killed. I urged him to think of his poor parents and rather take up some less dangerous occupation. Being young, he wouldn't listen to my concerns, flamed me and I've never seen him again. Did he manage to get himself killed? (Hopefully not!)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Because she is. Turned up again briefly within the last year or so, but that's all I know.

4. rhubarbodendron

pheew, that's a relief. For a moment I was doubting my mental capacities :) (I'm getting old and had a lot of stress the last 12 months. Plus I've been working for the government for 20 years. It's a miracle that I am still sane enough to post :D )

5. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

that's not who I'm thinking of.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Borgs8472 was from here, more or less left with the mass exodus when Wordforge was started, ended up running that board for a while after Cassandra/MS left. Not sure whether he was part of TBBS.de, but I suppose it's possible - we did have some who were members of both.

Geck still turns up every once in a while, and Phoenician Knight's around. I vaguely recall Cpt Dumbass and Soundzen, but not sure about the rest.

7. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was a fun meet! :cool::rommie:

8. rhubarbodendron

ha, finally we flushed you out of your lair! Welcome to the thread, oldtimer :D
    Do you think you can talk SpaceBall into posting as well?

9. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

batlh?

10. rhubarbodendron

Given the fact that I posted my name almost 5 pages ago, a C is the best I can give you for this Sherlock Holmes-like gem of deduction :nyah:
    (bonus point for correct spelling, though)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  11. Kitty

Kitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is full of wrinkles. :D

12. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

YOSHI predicted the return of Kitty on this day...

13. rhubarbodendron

does that mean the end of the world is near? :D

14. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Plus the growth of the internet :D

I remember some of the more controversial days... They were fun.

Yup. We got old in a hurry. I remember my first meet up. It was great. Lots of fun people...

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Well...yeah. That helped drive traffic here, too. ;)

But besides the burgeoning number of Internet subscriptions of the time there was a mad rush of interest in the Trek franchise thanks to Voyager airing its final episodes and the finale where the ship and crew finally make it back home as well as the launch of what was still called "Series V."

Seems like every day we had a slew of n00bs and Cadets introducing themselves to the forums. One of the first posters I remember interacting with in the spring of 2001 was The Kaylar. Anybody else remember them?

16. rhubarbodendron

No, sorry. But when I joined in 2002, I posted mainly in the Lounges and at Misc and DS9. Hence I know hardly any of the hardcore Trekkies from the TOS, TNG, or VOY forums.
    Had it not been 2001 but 2002/3 I'd have blamed the gazillions of new accounts on missmanner's and Che's duals :D

In Europe, Trek airs always a year or two after it first aired in the US. Did any of you notice an onslaught of German/Swiss/Dutch/Austrian VOY fans in 2002/3? I don't recall any German-speaking members that joined at about the same time that I did. There were rather a lot of Dutch, though.

17. Rob Hal

Rob Hal Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm... I feel like the definition of 'old timer' has changed...

18. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Rob Hal! One of the few mods to get a good review in "CaptainWacky rates the mod and admins" (the "classic" thread that nobody remembers or cares about.)

19. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think anyone with a 3 digit or less user ID is certainly an old one, 2 digits - prehistoric...

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Where's the User ID?