Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You think there are any ansillary characters they could promote to main crew to fill out the numbers?

A lot of them are one note characters like Garrett, Leonard, or Magnitude, but other characters like Neal or that guy with the kettle corn, or they could even bring back Vaughn, and they could be given enough depth to work as leads.

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Good God NOT VAUGHN! Was so glad when he left Greendale at the end of Season 1.

I hope that they can make the most of their secondary characters, just want them to use them wisely. Hoping that since Pierce is gone and there'll be less Troy that they can develop things between the remaining characters more. Jeff and Abed, Britta and Shirley, Abed and Shirley, Jeff and Change, Britta and Annie, Jeff and Annie, etc.

3. JirinPanthosa

Maybe not Vaughn, though I think he would be repurposed into something better than he was in season one.

But Neal, he fits right into the main dynamic, IMO.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Return Of Star-Burns?

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Other shows do well and succeed with only 4 main cast members (Seinfeld, for a notable example) and numerous background characters.

Not saying I want Community to that, but they can.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Whatever happened to Jeff's Professor love interest in S1 anyways?

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Agree. That character was terrible.

I don't see any chemistry between Jeff and Abed, but all the other regular cast have chemistry with each other.

If Garrett is the guy who was accused of "murdering" the potato plants in season 3, I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. The actor gives his character a pleasing weirdness that fits the show.

But frankly, the guy who I think deserves more screen time is Jim Rash and it doesn't have to all be about his flamboyant tendancies or lusting after Jeff, either.

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think they could make an effort to have more scenes with Jeff and Abed, as there have been a lack of them. They certainly could have more chemistry if the opportunity arises.

Garrett is the fat guy with the pale skin and weird voice (which apparently is is real voice, and not an act).

Todd is the guy who was accused of murdering the yam. He is the married war veteran who is trying to get a college degree. He is also weird.

9. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Ahhhh, no. We don't need more Jim Rash. He's just tolerable as he is now. Any more will drive a lot of people homicidal.

10. JirinPanthosa

Jim Rash was a great character until season 4 came along and they decided to make him an exaggerated predatorial gay steroetype. Hopefully Dan Harmon brings him back to the needy insecure litigiphobic bearaucrat who was also homosexual he was in the first three seasons.

They certainly do have enough material with the five characters who are left, but I also think they risk the dynamic getting stale, and sinking into the 'Everybody learns a lesson they forget by the start of the next episode' pattern of usual sitcoms.

That's why I'm in favor of bringing in other characters, so they can go into unexplored territory with their character relationships. Rich I think would work well. He's been established as this perfect wonderful guy with a dark desperation to be perfect. And Neal could be a buddy for Abed, he's already got depth as a smart, sensitive guy with self esteem issues and a history of being picked on by everyone.

And aside from people who could fit into the group dynamic, I really hope they bring John Oliver back into the fold.

11. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

He's pretty busy right now, hosting The Daily Show full time while Jon Stewart is off hiking the Appalachian Trail.

I imagine we'll see more of Chang and the Dean to make up for the missing cast members.

12. JirinPanthosa

For Chang to work again they'd have to reset him a season or two.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Chang wasn't needed after season 1, we don't need him now.

14. gblews

Yeah, this is the Dean I'de like to see back.

15. bigdaddy

16. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I am displeased that this is the way it's going to be done. I was hoping that he would be in and out so that it wasn't that he was just gone. I understand that Donald Glover wants to focus on his Childish Gambino stuff, but I really wish it was more of the 5 episodes full time, then cameos or one scene an ep for the rest of the season.

17. bigdaddy

Having a cameo is just too much. He only wants to do 5 and be done, and cameos filmed ahead of time wouldn't work out.

If they wanted to he was under contract. He was going to have another show but I don't think it got picked up, and the other show he could only have done if Community was canceled. This really should be the last season, just make him stay and end the show.

18. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have been checking out Glover's stuff. It's bloody weird seeing him perform such serious downbeat stuff.

Quite like some of it though.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. gblews

Great! I thought you were going to say he was taking Chevy's spot in the study group, which would not have sucked. But regardlss of the part, I imagine Banks' dry delivery will be a very good fit.