DS9, Worf and Continuity.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by CmndrSela318, Jan 14, 2013.

1. CmndrSela318

CmndrSela318 Trek BBS Commander Number 318. Red Shirt

At the end of part 2 of Way Of The Warrior O'Brien says to Worf: You look good in red.
    Worf replies: It feels good.
    They both acted like Worf had NEVER wore a red uniform. I was rewatching Angel One, my favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation season one episode. Guess what color Worf's uniform was in Angel One. If you said RED, you're correct. Now here's my question:
    Were the DS9 writers stupid, forgetful or just too lazy to watch season one of Next Generation?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a nitpick. After seven years in yellow, switching back to red warrants a comment. Especially given O'brien and Worf never really interacted at all until after Worf was in yellow.

3. CmndrSela318

CmndrSela318 Trek BBS Commander Number 318. Red Shirt

Well it might be a nitpick. But I'm still gonna nitpick it to death. I'll give you the point about O'Brien and Worf. But tell me this: do you think Worf forgot that at one time, before Tasha Yar died, his uniform was red?

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt it, but you can't imply that he forgot it by "it feels good." He could be saying it feels good to be back in red. He could be saying it feels good to be on a command track. He could be saying it feels good to be back on duty again. Or any combination thereof.

They don't have to list their complete biography over an innocent comment.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

O'Brien used to wear red too, so is it an oversight that Worf didn't say, "Hey, you should know how good it feels"? Of course not. Not every conversation must cover every little point of someone's life.

O'Brien gave Worf a compliment, Worf responded. And that's that.

"Hey, I like your haircut!"
    "Uh, it's the same as the one I had seven years ago, moron."

6. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the stupidest nitpick I've ever heard. Really? I wore a black shirt today. My girlfriend said I looked good in black. Guess what? I wore a black shirt a couple of days ago too.

Does that mean my girlfriend FORGOT that I have worn black before? NO!! She was giving me a compliment.

O'Brien saying that to Worf has nothing to do with either of them forgetting that Work used to be on the command track, it means O'Brien was giving Worf a compliment and congratulating him on his new position.

Seriously, are people's lives so empty that they actually complain about stuff like this?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

O'Brien: You look good in red.
    Worf: What do you mean by that? This is nothing new. I used to wear red, seven years ago!
    O'Brien: I remember.
    Worf: You should remember, because you were there. On the Enterprise.
    O'Brien: True. I wore red too. And I used to wear the insigna of a full lieutenant for some reason.
    Worf: It feels good. And by "it feels good", I don't mean that I don't remember wearing red, because I totally do.

From "Deep Space 9 for Nitpickers", volume 47.

8. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ :lol: Exactly my point.

9. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

"You look good in red"???

More proof for O'Brien's Marxist leanings! :p (Remember his admiration for labor unions in "Bar Association"?)

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yeah it was just a compliment.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is why Star Trek fans have a reputation.

It was a simple line to express to the audience that Worf was in the command division now, it did not need expository qualifiers explaining Worf's career history. It would have been unnecessary and unnatural.

12. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

The way I interpreted it was that O'Brien was complimenting/commending Worf for being a Command officer, hence the red uniform.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

O'Brien's lucky Worf didn't think he was making a pass at him.

14. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, in the same episode, Worf is nervous when the Defiant cloaks and he tells Sisko he has never been aboard a Federation ship with a cloaking device, he was; the Enterprise in "The Pegasus".

15. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

This screams blu-ray extended edition! I'd buy it twice. :techman:

Poor O'Brien didn't even have a name when he was in red, so I doubt he gave a shit about what uniform Worf was wearing, or if it made his eyes look good.

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

In season one O'Brien was a helmsman ensign, and a security officer ensign. In season two he ran the transporter but he was a lieutenant. He wasn't even a noncom until season three. I'd say if we're going to get upset about continuity that's a bigger issue.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

O'Brien and Worf didn't have any on screen interaction when they wore red. They weren't even in the same scenes together, except for AGT which was an alternate timeline anyway.

18. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think there are several other more worthy 'Worf to DS9' continuity nit-picks than this one. Things like this:

TNG (New Ground): Helena brings Alexander back to Worf on the Enterprise because she and Sergey are too old to handle him.

TNG (Firstborn): Worf adamantly opposes K'mtar trying to send Alexander to boarding school, arguing that his son belongs with him.

DS9: Worf sends his son to live with his now even older parents who didn't want the kid just a few years ago.

:lol:

19. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Oh yeah. :lol:

I felt a bit sorry for Alexander being sent back to Earth again, and especially Worf's family. However, Alexander was a truly terrible character, so I didn't miss him. And then when he finally did show up, he helped but the brakes on the otherwise excellent Occupation arc.

:p

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's easy enough to rationalize. While living with his grandparents the first time, Alexander was acting out because his mother had just died and the father he just met had abandoned him. After a year of this, Worf's parents had enough of this and felt Worf should just man up and raise his own son. Several years of bonding with his father while playing cowboy holodeck programs and taking mudbaths obviously calmed Alexander down enough so that when he returned to Earth and his grandparents (presumably of his own accord, this time) he was better behaved and so the Rozhenkos had no problem with him being around.

As for the boarding school, Worf knew Alexander woudn't last at Klingon school. As it was, Alexander was pretty socially awkward when he first arrived on the Rotarran.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013