The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Wow, so many questions! :)

I wouldn't call them boring; I quite like them for what they are, which are still explorations of the spaces. Those images were created by Redfern, not myself, so I a) can't take credit for them and b) am free to say how much I like them :bolian:

Now that one I can take credit for - that's just a WIP shot of my "Season 4" upgrade of Engineering, based on alt1701's original mesh (which was used by Redfern in his renders, too). I'm still working on modifying the set and haven't even begun to think about the textures - that entire shot was done with everything in a neutral light gray, except for the 'plasma manifolds,' and three light sources, which provided the color in the rest of the shot. alt1701 created some excellent textures for the controls, however; they just aren't in this shot.

At the moment, I have solid answers to none of those questions. I'm hoping to see lighting similar to that used in TOS; as I'm still hoping to interest others who have experience in animation to join the project, a lot of it will depend not only upon my vision but also the skills and abilities of those who may be shouldering the burden of the actual animation. I'm more in a 'producer/director' role - for the moment - though it may ultimately come down to me being responsible for the animation, as well, as Tim Vining is doing with his Aurora project (and doing a fine job at it, too! :cool: ).

I intend to use 16:9 full framing for the shots; as for the resolution, at this point, it's probably more likely to be 800x450.

Not yet; I'm holding off on that until I actually have some animation to show, and not just stills of the sets and occasional characters I've been working on.

Thanks! Again, I have to credit Redfern for the majority of the Gorn images and approaches; I only created one (the one with the massive codpiece :lol: ), inspired by his 'Frankensteining' of a couple of available 3D model figures. Redfern has been a constant motivation, kicking me in the virtual pants occasionally when my work slows down, and posting his own work to inspire me further. :bolian:

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Redfern and Ptrope I would like to say thank you both for using your amazing skills of creating this CG model and working on the lighting to get it as close to emulating TOS look.
    Excellent work.
    Sorry if I am being too critical. I'm just excited that this level of work can be accomplished.
    And please continue posting the stills of the 'sets' as you progress.

Very glad to hear it.

Hopefully you will consider using camera tracking shots during some of the dialogue. It is a live-action technique but it really adds production value and with your CG model hey, no dolly track to lay!
    Check out this cinematic made by a 17 year old kid with tracking.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVC3_41I9Kc

The idea of exploring a Trek ship interiors in 3D space really interests me. I may purchase 'Star Trek Elite Force' PC game used just to get the mods to do it on the NX-01 and TOS Enterprise.

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

DA-ROOL!

THIS is what JJ should have had...

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Yes "lighting is everything" and unfortunately the film stocks in 1960s required a lot of light and thus 'the look of TOS'.
    The above posted image from darkwing_duck1 with the lighting reminded me of these two NX-01 'mood lighting' images from the mod of Elite Force:
    engineering
    http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/4/files2/25350_1.jpg
    torpedo area
    http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/4/files2/25350_8.jpg

5. le_dartagnan

le_dartagnan Cadet Newbie

What's happening with this project ? Are you still working on it ?

6. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I'd like to know too. I was really looking forward to it.

7. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still around! :lol:

All I can really say is, yes, this will eventually get made. Many, many things going on in real life, including a computer death and a job schedule that tends to interfere greatly with the time I get to spend on the things I like to do, including this. I've also got to get the website rebuilt into something that can function not just as a showplace, but also a collaborative workspace - and, of course, I'm still looking for collaborators/consultants/mesh grunts ;). I've got a rec room in progress for the banquet scene, though, based on the one in the scene cut from "Elaan of Troyius"; I've still got to recover several files from the old PC, as well as get familiar with the new modeling software on the 64-bit Win7 box that took its place.

Rec room WIP shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

thats a very buff spock in pic 5

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A peristant issue with Poser rigging. Because it employs "fall-off zones" instead of "weight mapping" like LightWave and other "higher end" suites, the shoulders tend to bulge when lowered from their default "T" pose.

Plus the geometry of that specific "tunic mesh" is a tad "form fitting", hugging the contours of the figure underneath.

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

"Physical fitness is logical."

Doesn't explain a world of Moe haircuts, Spock!

At some point, I may try converting XCalPro's tunic to a dynamic cloth item and see how it lies; of course, I'll need to 'de-buff' the figures a bit. I also want to see if the improved rigging and falloff zones in PP2010 can make better joints in the existing figures.

11. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Sweet CG sets you have there. :)

12. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Hell with Spock. I wanna see the babe hiding behind the mesh archway.

13. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

That's not mesh (it's a space station!); I was pretty happy with how those panels of translucent material turned out, so I decided to try to kill the PC by adding reflections to the refractions already going on. I wasn't actually sure whether those panels were translucent, even, until I watched "Journey to Babel" a couple nights ago (the remastered version) and saw that when Sarek's shuttle lands in the bay and the honor guard files out, you can see their movement through the panels. Until then, I was just going to keep the translucency because I thought of it as 'one of those things they'd have done if they'd had the budget' :D.

BTW, Ensign O'Malley, there, is pretty buff, herself :D.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

cool stuff :)

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is outstanding...now I'm going to have to go back to the start of the thread and check it out.

16. Roberta Lincoln

Roberta Lincoln Commander Red Shirt

Amazing work!

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the Enterprise from TAS. The secondary hull shuttlebay seems to longer than on the Datin model--more like Jeffer4ies sketch of the ent on his manual--a longer sec hull. Be nice to see the TAS ship as orthos.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

two words: Slaver Weapon!

19. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

This is way-cool stuff, dude! I way-love TAS and it's nice to see you bringing it to life again! :)

deg

20. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks, deg! I hope to one day be in your league :bolian: (all I need to do is quit my job and devote myself 100% to something I've made maybe $400 at over the past 6 years ... :lol: ).

BTW, I'd love to see your Enterprise in any eventual video - it's a perfect conceptual fit with my approach of this being a 4th season of TOS (albeit a completely CGI one), with a bigger budget that allowed them to improve the sets, props & VFX.