Orci to read more books in prep of Trek XII

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Bobatiel, May 13, 2009.

1. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

2. The_Bandsaw_Vigilante

The_Bandsaw_Vigilante Lieutenant Red Shirt

Beat me to the punch.

Nice to see Orci continuing to bone up on the classic stuff, though here's hoping he gets Lindelof and Kurtzman to partake further, too. From what I've read, avowed non-Trekkie Kurtzman found it fairly easy to jump in, so we'll see.

Was recently thinking that Prime Directive -- one of Orci's all-time faves -- would make for a terrific adaptation, say around Star Trek XIII or thereabouts, with a few slight modifications. Great storyline, no easily-definable black-hat baddie, some difficult moral choices and ambiguity, meaty roles for all the supporting cast, and a compelling mystery with extremely high stakes in the end.

If they want to do something different than the usual-usual, evil-villain-attacks-the-Federation plot, this'd be one to attempt (or some variation on the basic premise/framework). Of course, Paramount is likely going to insist upon bringing back a "familiar" enemy like the Klingons for ST XII, just as a given, but once they get that obligatory movie out of the way, they'll probably have more room to do more experimental storylines in the future.

3. jeff lebowski

jeff lebowski Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has he seen all of DS9, VOY and ENT?

4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Nice to see this since the film made some of the things that first appeared in books that c-thing! (Don't want to say the c word in case it starts a war!!)

5. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually think that My Enemy, My Ally would make for a good Trek to be adapted in the nuTrek universe. Imagine the utter horror of the Vulcans as their already thinned numbers are depleated by Romulan incursions...

Plus, lots of room for cool CGI stuff if they incorporate some of the carachters from the book!

Rob+

6. Geoff

Geoff Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As long as they're mining the novels for tidbits of fanwank, especially with the Romulans, I'll go on record: The day I hear the word "Rihannsu" on screen, I just might have a small orgasm right there in my seat.

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Moving right along...

Someone just posted in the "What are you reading now" discussion about reading Forester's Hornblower novels, Roddenberry's inspiration for creating Kirk. Seems to me Orci and Kurtzman could learn something useful about Kirk's personality by going back to those books. Hornblower and TOS Kirk could occasionally be beset by doubt, and it'd be interesting to see a captain as young and untested as new Kirk go through an experience that really makes him question himself.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I wonder if they're reading any of the newer stuff like Vanguard? They did read Ex Machina after all, so it's not totally out of the question. I know I would love to see a cameo or even just a reference to T'Prynn or Reyes or something like that.
    Although looking more in terms of just general ideas or themes, and not specific stuff like that.

9. Scarpad

Scarpad Lieutenant Commander

Why so they can retcon it? What's the point they wanted a clean slate. Then use the clean slate. Why borrow on other works.. they are supposedly genius storytellers.. create their own damn mythos and leave the older stuff alone. I don't want their take on Harry Mudd, or Kor the klingon. They wanted to wipe clean the past baggage then leave it alone.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Because it's not about continuity. It's not about facts and events and dates. That's not what fiction is about. They want to capture the feel and spirit of the Star Trek universe, and they choose to do that by immersing themselves in the available material.

11. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

And Roddenberry's inspiration for Spock was Sherlock Holmes. Wasn't it cool to hear Spock utter that famous Holmesian line in the movie? I loved it!

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And that was most likely a callback to Nimoy's Spock using the same line in The Undiscovered Country.

I don't recall ever reading that Holmes was Roddenberry's inspiration for Spock. The use of the Holmesian maxim in TUC came from Nicholas Meyer, who's something of a Holmes scholar (plus author of two Holmes novels and director of the film based on one of them, The Seven Per Cent Solution). Recall that Spock was originally just a normal, emotional guy with pointy ears, but he then inherited Number One's cool, logical demeanor when that character was dropped. So Spock arrived at his Holmesian characteristics gradually, which doesn't seem consistent with direct inspiration.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously, then, nobody writing a new version of the Arthurian legend should ever read any prior novels or books about King Arthur and the Matter of Britain. Especially not Le Morte d'Arthur, Historia Regum Britanniae, Idylls of the King, The Once and Future King/The Book of Merlyn, The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights, the Merlin series, or The Mists of Avalon.

After all, no one writing a new version of the King Arthur story really needs to know anything about the versions that came before, right?

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

^I've always liked the movie too (the Seven Percent Solution).