Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Isn't that called Treksposition, (trek+exposition) something I thought we (mostly) all were happy to see so greatly reduced in ST09?

Anway, some thoughts from reading upthread. Overheard, (by me) of father of family just before screening of ST09 started: "This movie better not turn my son into a nerd" (I turned around aiming a stern glare directly at him, he flashed an embarrassed smile which said, No offense intended. Not sure which of us won that encounter.)

I liked Batman Forever, Batman Begins, TDN. I hated Batman & Robin, TDNR.

INS was an expanded NG episode. I've gone back and forth over NEM, some viewings I can get into it but others, I shut it off.

2. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

FTFY

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://trekweb.com/articles/2013/01...e-Star-Wars-Fans-Proud-with-Episode-VII.shtml

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*walks away with underwear pulled over head

JJ cackling maniacly behind me* lol

5. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He wants to do the SW fans proud, but not us Trekkies. The nerve.

Incidentally, are Orci and Kurtzman attached in any capacity?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bad Robot are co-producing SWVII.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've always thought of the stereotypical basement-dwelling fan as being like Bigfoot. Maybe he exists, but I'm not sure anyone has ever actually seen one.

Most of the Trekkies I know have jobs and kids and mortgages like everyone else.

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yes. The nerve of someone answering a question in a non-identical way to a similar question. Why, one would think he did it deliberately to rub Trek fan's faces in his clearly evident contempt for Trek and all it stands for. :rolleyes:

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Disney and Lucas are really pushing ahead with the new film. As of today the further 3-D releases of the prequels have been postponed or cancelled.

No news about the Original Trilogy in 3-D being nixed, but the dates were never set anyways.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Abrams on Trek: "I'm not making this for the fans!"

Abrams on Wars: "I want to do the fans proud."

:guffaw:

Well as I'm a fan of both franchises at least he cares about... half of me?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, right.

He's given us a lot better than anyone had any right to expect, given the extraordinarily damaged state of the Star Trek franchise in 2006.

You're lucky Paramount didn't license the thing out for a cheapo comedy with Jack Black as Kirk and Ben Stein as Spock.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

Now that's one more reason for me to wake up screaming at night.

Given the success of Galaxy Quest, you gotta wonder whether that sort of idea was seriously considered.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would help if Trek fans would ever get over being butthurt about the fact that Star Wars has been, by far, the premier space science fiction franchise in the theaters since 1977. The least successful of the six Star Wars films made almost 100 million dollars more worldwide than the most successful Star Trek movie.

As far as people buying tickets to the movies are concerned, for over thirty years Star Trek has been in second place - and for most of that time a distant second.

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And even domestically The Empire Strikes Back made $34 million more than Trek '09. Empire is the least successful SW film in American cinemas.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

17. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

The public perception of us annoys me, too. But I don't pretend it's not there.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Cheapo comedy, huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Whatever happened to the double-breasted suit? I loved them. Letterman doesn't even wear one as often as he used to.

On topic (as it's drifted, anyway), who gives a rat's ass about perceptions? And, how conceited (or offended) can we be as fans to even believe there are perceptions, at least not those that we ourselves don't make fun of or pretend (I hope) to live up to? Roll with it. The demographics of TOS made it the "St. Elsewhere" of its time. (Don't know what "St. Elsewhere" was? Then Google it.)

People who got into "24" weren't geeks over that show? Folks actually thought "The Sopranos" was high culture? "Twin Peaks"? "Monty Python"? Let's not even go down the path of the perception of Pythons fans.

It's pop culture. It's fun. It's a cold beer on a hot day. Perfect for the situation, and that's about it.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I could be friends with anyone who didn't find either of those gags hysterical.