Abrams talks Star Trek 3D in SFX magazine

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Though I'll probably be seeing it 2D first.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...ed-to-make-star-trek-into-darkness-in-3d.html

2. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

I hate 3D with a passion so i'm very glad to read his comments :)

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like 3D, and I like it better when it's done really well.

4. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay so that's fine. I'll watch the 2D first, too. I hate the 3d glasses with a passion. On top of how uncomfortable they are, they're dirty! Yuck.

5. NeedsOfTheMany

NeedsOfTheMany Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

3D lens flares all around.

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no problem with 3D. I don't get headaches, the glasses don't annoy me and it can be fun.
    But for some reason I still watch 2D first in most movies. In the rare cases I might go see it more than once I check out the 3D version.

Dirty? Don't the theaters give you new, sealed ones before going in?

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Not everywhere, in my limited experience.

I do experience headaches and find the glasses annoying (especially the latter) and so I avoid 3D whenever possible. I don't begrudge those who like it, I just hope it doesn't become an exclusive form of presentation. However, as I was curious about the high frame rate format of the new Hobbit movie, I did go to a 3D IMAX presentation of that. The 48fps (double a standard film frame rate) presents a different aesthetic and I will have to see it on more than one occasion before forming a considered opinion on the format, but it did seem to eliminate the headache I invariably get past the 75-90 min. mark of any 3D film I've seen until now.

8. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, but how do I know they're clean-clean? For Life of Pi, my niece and I got these smudged/bent ones that were truly uncomfortable and yucky. And yes they came in a sealed package. Go figure.

I spent most of that movie not wearing them. I only wanted to see Ang Lee's version of the ocean/water with them anyway...

She and I've decided that the next time we get a good pair of 3D glasses, we're confiscating them for future use. ;)

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I find 3D to be largely distracting and gimmicky, so I'm extremely pleased STID was shot in 2D native. Unless the film is a major disappointment (which is looking very unlikely given what I've seen thus far) I'll probably be going multiple times. Although my first viewing will definitely be 2D, I will check out the 3D version at some point.

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I like 3D, I understand some of the complaints certainly though. But ultimately, I think it looks the CGI look "better" somehow. I didn't really like the Avengers but saw it in 3D, but I saw it again recently on the smaller screen and it just looked completely awful without the 3D.

11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They seem to have gone out of their way to make this special so I will see it at least once in NON-IMAX 3D, if available.

12. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I've stopped railing against 3D as a whole. It all comes down to execution.

Avengers? Well done.
    Life of Pi? Incredible.
    The Hobbit? Eh... could be better.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, you guys wanted Trek for the new generation, and you're getting it.

14. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Seeing it in 2D either way. 3D is still a gimmick to me and one that isn't even very good.

To me 3D is only worth it if there is a movie done in 3D and first watched in 3D. Then in a second viewing you see it in 2D and you think "Man it just wasn't the same without 3D".

If Avatar didn't do that for me I'm not sure anything will. The movie was no better or no worse in 2D.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like the dimness of 3D (which is because of the glasses rather than the film itself or the projectors if set up right).

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Apart from the headaches, this is my biggest gripe, though it was not nearly as problematic at the IMAX 3-D Hobbit screening as the others I've seen. Still plan to see the new Trek in 2-D.

17. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only see films in the cinema if they are 3D.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That's what the studios are aiming for (though they'd like it better if you also saw some 2-D films too).

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And what studio wants, studio gets.

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My primary viewing of Star Trek will be in 2-D. I may go see it in 3-D after a couple of viewings for the novelty of it but it could be fun too. I plan to get a new Smart TV by year's end so I may be enjoying it more. BTW, I wouldn't be *completely* surprised if a converted 3-D Version of the 2009 film was released on Blu Ray too at some point, which may be fun.