'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Nov 30, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...pider-man-makes-his-first-swing-over-broadway

http://www.filmshaft.com/cloud-atlas-shoots-summer-2011-according-to-halle-berry/

the press conference video with Halle Berry
    Halle Berry - 42nd NAACP Image Awards' Screening of "Frankie & Alice"

about the story:
    http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=19865&count=0

"Cloud Atlas" book synopsis via Amazon:
    imdb listing:
    Cloud Atlas
    in development only (currently)

2. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

I absolutely loved this book, but it could be tricky in translating the narrative onto screen. Interesting to see how this turns out.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I narrated this book for the Books on Tape job I have, and I too thought it was fantastic; one of the best books I've ever read. I think it's great they're making a movie out of it.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

A cast that features Halle Berry, Tom Hanks, and Natalie Portman? Written and directed by the Wachoski's? I'm interested. This has been a book I've been meaning to get around to.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I'm interested to hear you reading....are there any samples we could please hear?

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I appreciate your interest, but it was recorded many years ago and we no longer have the files (there is obviously a master, but it's at the Library of Congress). Plus, I wouldn't legally be able to reproduce it anyway because it is contractually obligated only for the blind and/or physically handicapped. Sorry!

7. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

Well, if it comes out in December 2012 that sounds like a disaster to me.... ;P

8. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Wachowski Brothers

I though it was "
    Wachowski Siblings"

Just being thorough

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sites still report them as being Brothers...maybe that is still how they refer to themselves as. Who knows.

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't the post op transgendered brother going by Lana now?

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

ARISE FROM THE DEAD!

The trailer is out this morning, you can find bootlegs of it but the HD version should be up on apple in a couple of hours - looks a very strange film.

12. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I saw the 6-minute(!) trailer when it was online at io9 earlier today. Looks extremely ambitious, like the kind of film that could easily go very wrong. But I have no doubt it will still be a fascinating watch, due to the combined talents of Tom Tykwer (one of my favourite directors) and the Wachowskis (I'm still a fan of the first Matrix and actually quite liked Speed Racer).

Not having read the novel, the trailer reminds me of the similarly ambitious, but deeply flawed, Robin Williams film Being Human. At least visually, Cloud Atlas will definitely be more interesting, though.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say calling them the Wachowski Brothers is probably insulting. But the Wachowski Siblings doesn't sound as catchy.

14. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I'd love to do that.

I currently do volunteer reading for the Iowas Radio-reading Information Service for the Blind and Print Handicapped (IRIS). I'm one of their readers of the Des Moines Register and Council Bluffs Non-Pareil newspapers. We broadcast to special receivers that are only offered to the blind and sight-impaired.

15. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

16. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I just watched the extended trailer. It looks very ambitious and could either be very good or very bad. I might check this book out sometime (although I have far too many books on my "to read" list as it is).

18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Has anyone else seen this yet? I thought it was excellent. :techman:

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Saw it yesterday and will definitely see it again while it's in theaters. Complex and beautiful and amazing! It didn't feel like 3 hours at all. And while there's not any special material added to the credits, it's well worth while to stay and see all the parts played by the cast. Age, gender, race are all subject to change.

Jan

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I thought the film was fantastic!

I think they excised a few parts of the book that they shouldn't have, though. The book goes more in depth as to what is so special about Sonmi-451. After speaking to a few people who had seen the movie and not read the book, and perhaps are not quite up on the sci-fi cinematic language as many of us probably are, I think they lost part of that story. A lot of people have just been saying that Sonmi was special, maybe because she was destined to be, without really being able to articulate why. I think the movie should have kept much more of the explanation of Sonmi achieving sentience, memory and emotion in ways that she wasn't supposed to, and how that was vastly different from other fabricants.

Minor quibble, though. The film wasn't about narrative or story, or even character, per se. It was about theme and meaning, a brave choice and something entirely new in mainstream Western filmmaking. This film deserves to win Oscars for screenwriting and editing...as the film so deftly combines six narratively unrelated stories but makes them empty without each other, while intermingling within each other at the most perfect, complex and necessary times.