sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heiroglyph has potential. It sounds like an ancient Egyptian twist on It Takes A Thief.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What... Liz Taylor lived back in ancient Egypt, in fact she was a Queen or something ;)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hulu has added the original Aussie version of (The) Strange Calls. They have 6 episodes altogether, but only the first 2 are free.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Chuck co-creator Chris Fedak is returning to NBC with another hourlong project about ordinary people acquiring extraordinary abilities

5. RJDiogenes

That's pretty twisted. I like it. :rommie:

6. Enterprise is Great

NBC Orders Drama Script Based On Remy Chandler Book Series

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

A private eye who can read minds? Doesn't that make the mystery-solving rather too easy?

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mind reading isn't admissible as evidence, so knowing who isn't the same thing as having the evidence for a conviction. It could be like Columbo, where he knew who did it, but had to prove it.

9. Christopher

But that's not the point. The appeal of mystery/detective stories isn't in whether a conviction is attainable; in fact, many mystery stories end without a courtroom-level burden of proof being met. Mysteries are stories about solving puzzles, about using observation and clever deduction to uncover the truth. The detective's victory lies in figuring out the killer's identity, solving the puzzle. That's the climax of the story. Even in Columbo, the audience knew the answer in advance, but Columbo himself still needed to investigate, observe, and deduce. He didn't "know" who did it, he just suspected, and had to find the evidence to confirm his suspicions. Sometimes he didn't suspect the real culprit until nearly the end of the story. So it was still about the detective using his wits and skill to deduce the answer. Just magically sensing the answer would be cheating.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't help Sookie Stackhouse.
    Even if you give the lead more brains than her, as the short-lived Canadian series The Listener showed, there are other aspects, as well as the admissible evidence problem, to be followed. Or, if you admit literary SF as precedent, a mind-reading detective was pretty interesting in The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester. (No, not the Stallone movie!)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. So I wonder if they will all develop the same abilities or if they different organs will give different abilities.

12. Christopher

Oh, I'd expect different abilities. The one who gets the eyes has super-sight, the one who gets the heart becomes super-strong, something like that.

13. Enterprise is Great

ABC to Adapt Korean Drama ‘Nine: Nine Time Travels’

A Reboot of Charmed Is in the Works at CBS

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand rebooting something so recent. To me rebooting should be done to old stuff that we haven't seen done in a modern style.

15. Christopher

Well, as the article says, supernatural stuff is fashionable now, so people are looking for anything that fits the bill. And Charmed was and still is a very popular show, bewilderingly.

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reboot everything! :bolian:

17. RJDiogenes

Every show on TV should be various reboots of Leave It To Beaver-- darker and grittier reboots of Leave It To Beaver.

18. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We definitely need a reboot of Lost and Breaking Bad!

19. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nine times Nine is my favorite show that I've watched in the last year, but I'm not sure how it adapts to US television because like most Asian dramas it is a self-contained story that doesn't fit the seasonal US TV type thing. The show ran for 20 episodes and the story was finished.

Kim Yun Jin (Sun from Lost) is involved in this as a producer so I'm hopeful that we might actually see more Asian characters in the series. Of course history and my brain tells me this is probably going to wind up like a lot of other ABC series and probably put on Thursday night at 8PM and canceled.

20. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That could actually work because it's serious enough (often the case with Korean TV).
    OTOH, I don't think the more light-hearted Japanese stuff like Papa to Musume no Nanokakan would translate to western countries.