So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Tempest's Wake, the eBook exclusive coda to the Vanguard series.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/In_Tempest's_Wake

And next year in August The Seekers will start, a series featuring two of the ships assigned to Vanguard in their adventures in the Taurus Reach after the events of the Vanguard series.

http://www.davidmack.pro/blog/?p=4675

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I finished Vulcan's Forge and have just gotten into The Pandora Principle.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got some secondhand copies of Pathways and Mosaic by Jeri Taylor and Fire Ship. Heard the last one wasn't that great, but the other two I've heard good things about, and I'm already liking Pathways.

4. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Decided to go with Star Trek: The Lost Era: The Sundered by Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels. My big Peter David read is expanding exponentially at the minute, and not really sticking to its name.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Less than 100 pages to go in the Cold Equations trilogy. Three very different books, but the common theme of AI and Data has been fun.

6. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I'm now on Destiny Book Three: "Lost Souls" and still loving it. :techman:

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Read Witchblade Vol. 2 by Ron Marz et al outside while it was sunny. Oddly this collection is issues 86-92 or something...

With Marc Silvestri out of the way the sexism is dialled down a lot in this volume - despite the typically lurid covers, Sara actually dresses sensibly for a New York Cop throughout - except for in the last episode, which has his take on Sara as Botticelli's Venus, gratuitous nudity, and does the Witchblade's origin as both predictable and a total ripoff of the origin of the Slayer line in Buffy.

Before that, however, it's actually really good - Sara does proper police work, there's action, atmosphere, good art, somewhat predictable storylines (hello "Fugitive"), and... Yeah, actually pretty decent. "Partners" is especially good- very moving, female-friendly, takes some risks...

Good jumping-on point for new readers, and an improvement on where I'd left off in the series back around the #30s or so.

8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Too bad I don't have a e-reader :(
    Good to read that the story about the Endeavour's crew continues, hopefully the ship gets a TMP Refit

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are programs/apps to read eBooks on your computer, tablet or smartphone.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Cast No Shadow by James Swallow

--Sran

11. Starbreaker

I have no idea what to read next. Several series I need to finish, several new books I want to read, and a huge backlog of Star Trek books. :(

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently reviewed Marc Cushman's These Are The Voyages: TOS, Season 1 for TrekCore.com. I've also posted the review at my own site, Treklit.com.

Right now, I'm reading The Fall: Revelation and Dust by David R. George III and The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm close to the end of the 3rd book of the Belisarius series by Eric Flint.

Next up is either Only Superhuman by Christopher L Bennett or Revelation and Dust by David R George.

After that, it's back to Eric Flint.

14. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I bought or ordered the "Enterprise" TV series in order to prepare for reading "A Choice of Futures" by CLB. Haven't purchased the book yet. Still reading the numbered books in DS9 and about to start "Proud Helios" by Melissa Scott (I hope I got the author's name correct, the copyright pages give 1990 for copyright in the e-book version that I have but from Memory Alpha I see it is February 1995). I guess the 1990 is concept copyright with Paramount but they really should have copyright correct in the e-book. The cover page is not easily accessible either. Anyway, the book is ST-DS9 #9. It is nice to watch "Enterprise" TV series pretty well for the first time. Can appreciate some of the modern novels more adequately.

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I just finished Destiny Book Three: Lost Souls today. Absolutely loved it. :techman:

Over a Torrent Sea is up next beginning it tomorrow.

16. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished the first two vanguard novels, and almost at the end of the third.Debating whether to press on with vanguard, which I'm really enjoying, or pause and read revelations and dust, as my preorder downloaded to the kindle on Tuesday, and I really want to read it. Ah, choices....

17. Starbreaker

Reading Under the Dome by Stephen King, then it's on to The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOVED that one.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I reently started reading the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury and now I'm reading Stargazer Oblivion by Micheal Jan Friedman. I hope to start reading StarTrek TNG Revelations and Dust soon.

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished off Open Secrets and received my copy of Revelations and Dust in the mail from amazon. Already 180 pages into it and i'm enjoying myself so far :)