The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If Kenner and then Hasbro didn't have jealous possession of the Star Wars toy license you just know there'd have been a slew of SW Barbies by now. We came awfully close with a few of the original 12" dolls from the end of the seventies. There was even a Princess Leia with change of clothes and a brush for her hair.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I kinda thought that the Brave Barbies were completely missing the message of that movie. :lol:

3. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

My Green Lantern and Superman bobbleheads arrived yesterday! Both of them look fantastic. I'll be posting a pic tomorrow along with other collection stuff.

4. cooleddie74

Can't wait!

Feel free to post as much or as little as you want...this thread's for everyone to share!

5. TrekNut87

As promised, pics!-Part one. Will probably post more later tonight.
    [​IMG]

6. OdoWanKenobi

Ordinarily, I'd be all "Yay! Green Lantern" but no, not Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern. The wounds are still too deep.

7. TrekNut87

Haha I hear that! God, what a terrible movie. I desperately hope they get somebody new for Hal if the sequel gets the green light (Which is being talked about I guess) *shiver* Reynolds was horrific.

8. cooleddie74

They could hire John Goodman to play Hal and it'd be a noticeable improvement. ;) That movie was all sorts of disappointing wrapped up in a soft taco made of Fail flour. I hope the sequel's a LOT better.

Cool toy, though. At least the toys weren't that bad. Most of 'em, anyways.

9. TrekNut87

:guffaw: :guffaw: Well-played my friend.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

That's not Ryan Reynolds! That's Ben Stiller!

11. cooleddie74

That toy was clearly made by the Prime Minister of Malaysia.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There's really nothing preventing Mattel from doing Star Wars Barbies other than a lack of interest on Mattel's part. Hasbro's license to make Star Wars toys isn't exclusive (Sideshow, Hot Toys, Medicom, also have the license to make Star Wars toys). Aside from an Episode VI Han Solo in Endor gear, Medicom makes a 12-inch Episode IV Luke Skywalker with a light-up lightsaber.
    http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/1/9/9/9/Luke-Skywalker-Ultimate-Unison_1292508878.jpg

13. cooleddie74

Well, I meant toys as in the things most people consider "toys." Sideshow, Medicom, Gentle Giant and other companies certainly do possess the rights to make SW product and produce stunning pieces of work, but those are more along the lines of adult collectibles and statues than they are "toys."

And maybe you're right, perhaps Mattel could do so if they wanted. All I know is what people on the collecting sites and boards talk about and tell me, and for years now the general impression a lot of us come away with is that Hasbro has the license until at least 2017 and that they jealously guard it like Fort Knox. In fact, when the plans for a new line of 12" SW figures were announced at Comic-Con a week or two ago interviewers on the convention floor actually asked, "So does this mean Hasbro will be pulling the rights of Sideshow and other companies to make 12" scale characters and preventing them from doing so?"
    The Hasbro Convention reps replied: "No, we're not going to take steps to revoke their licenses. They can still continue to produce their own 12" scale products."

That's almost verbatim. So you can see where a lot of the confusion in the collecting community might come from given Hasbro's own statements about pulling other companies' licenses to make things.

14. OdoWanKenobi

I know I've said this before, but as bad as Hasbro is, NOBODY want Mattel to take the Star Wars license from them. Luke, Han, Vader, Obi-Wan, and Anakin will be the only characters allowed at retail. The rest will be exclusives to MattyCollector (even Leia and Padme. Women don't sell according to Matty,), where you'll have to buy a subscription or risk dealing with their horrible site for day of sales. Also, you see the Green Lantern or Dark Knight Rises 4" figures with the mediocre sculpts and 5 points of articulation? Yeah, that's what you could expect from a Mattel Star Wars line.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

A very simple comparison:

Shit > Hasbro >>>>>> Mattel

16. cooleddie74

Oh, Mattel's STAR WARS figures would be horrible. Absolute crap. When the Hasbro license comes up in 2017 I hope that, if Hasbro doesn't renew it and continue making Lucas toys themselves, a really top-notch toy company with great sculpting and tooling talent takes over. Even if they charge more for figures and other paraphernalia because of higher quality it'd still be a far preferable scenario to the crap factory over at Mattel taking on the franchise and giving collectors an abysmal selection and variety to choose from as well as seriously bad quality.

OdoWan's right. I've seen some of the recent Mattel action figures. A Pet Rock looks better than some of that stuff.

17. OdoWanKenobi

Mattel has been moving away from collectors at an astonishing rate. The MattyCollector lines are all in grave danger of not happening at all. Those lines include DC Universe, Masters of the Universe, and their newly announced Watchmen line. Those and Movie Masters are really the only collector based lines they have left. Seriously, do you love DC Comics? Masters of the Universe? Then I implore you to go to MattyCollector and buy a subscription to next year's club. They're basically holding the lines hostage unless we get enough people subscribed before August 6th. If we don't, then the lines are dead. They've already shown off a bunch of fan demanded characters for the DC line next year like Wally West, Phantom Stranger, Elongated Man, Saint Walker, and Larfleeze.

18. C.E. Evans

The definition becomes negligble with certain products as those non-Hasbro companies often produce figures with multiple points of articulation and accessories. In that sense, the biggest difference is really just the size and price range from Hasbro's 3.75-inch line.
    Hasbro is the master toy licensee for the Star Wars line, but they opted not to be exclusive with it. Other companies like Sideshow were able to get their own licenses to produce Star Wars toys from Hasbro.

Hasbro had no interest in doing 12-inch Star Wars figures anymore, but other toy companies did.

19. cooleddie74

Yeah, I did a little more asking around after I posted that the other day and basically found out the same thing you just said. They're the "master licensee," so to speak. Which makes everything else I've seen, read and heard make perfect sense and fall into place. Thanks, man. :)

I have to wonder about the new 12" Hasbro line coming out next year. It's been seven years since the last 12" SW figures were in retail stores and a whole lot of people have moved on and gotten past them as companies like Sideshow and Gentle Giant have produced statues of the same scale or even bigger that basically blow the old 12" sculpts off the face of the planet.

Add to that the fact that they're going to be much more kid-oriented, have only five points of articulation and have their weapons molded to their hands and I just don't know if the company's going to get anywhere with them. Some kids might bite since the $14.99 pricepoint will be very attractive for parents who want as much bang for their buck as possible when it comes to the size of a toy, but teenagers and grown adults are what drive the Hasbro SW line and keep it afloat and without enough support from those sales demographics I don't know if a new 12" line will last very long.

20. C.E. Evans

:techman:
    In a real sense, that's the problem that toy companies have been facing for awhile, especially those producing action figures. Their customer base has been getting older and getting smaller. There are numerous reasons for this, but like comic books, action figures have become steadily a luxury item catering to a steadily aging and shrinking crowd. Trying to re-target kids with less expensive toys might work for Hasbro, but it also might be too little, too late.