How many light side force users should there be between ROTS and ANH?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Wadjda, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

The old EU went a bit nuts with the numbers. I wonder what you guys wish for in the new continuity. Also, i hope Yoda and Kenobi will be the last 2 and we won't have any running around even after Yavin.

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Re: How many light side force users should there be between ROTS and A

I think that there a more than just Kenobi and Yoda.
    Didn't the Jedi go on ondercover missions?
    They could have survived order 66.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Under the old continuity (most of which is now the "Legends" continuity), there were at least 61 known survivors of the Purge, and obviously many more that remained in hiding or whose Jedi powers had not yet been developed or discovered.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Jedi_Purge_survivors

4. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Well, there is also Kanan from Rebels in the new continuity. Also there's a novel coming out that might focus on Quinlan Vos and Ventress (Both originally EU characters but who have ended up in the new canon-Clone wars that is-with some modifications) which might be set after ROTS. Plus maybe Ashoka will return too.

5. Wadjda

Weren't they like 200? I don't know why i remembe 200, plus there were many other Force traditions.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

In movie-thought, it makes sense that only Yoda and Obi-Wan survived. Because Anakin brought balance to the Force; there were only two Sith and two Jedi left.

In EU-thought and general practice, do you really think the clone troopers successfully got the drop on ALL ONE THOUSAND JEDI? That's just ridiculous. Some are going to get away.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

So, if we went with Yoda's line in ROTJ 'When I am gone, the last of the Jedi you will be' means all the Jedi by the time of RotJ are now dead? Does this mean Kanan and Ezra will be dead by that time? It's a little inconsistent there.

Also, in ESB when Ben says 'That boy is our last hope' then Yoda says 'No, there is another'. Yoda is obviously referring to the untrained Leia who could become a Jedi. Given that we see that Obi-Wan knows all about Leia in ROTS that line was kinda weird for Yoda to say, did Obi-Wan forget?

8. Wadjda

Yoda died before Luke's final duel so at one point there were 2 Sith and on e Jedi, Leia does not count.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought this very question was one of the pillars of Star Wars: Rebels in which case, we are still finding out. I hope they are all accounted for at the end of the series.

There have been suggestions that at the end of the Rebels series to maintain continuity, the gang would end up more or less stationed on Alderaan.

As for Ahsoka... personally I'm hoping
    She will either end up in carbon freezing for an appearance in the later sequel era films OR meet her end in a meaningful duel against Vader in Rebels. I know, fanwank. But the series is very fanwanky anyway so it would be fitting. ;)

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well from a certain point of view, Yoda could simply have meant the Last Jedi of the Old Order.

11. Wadjda

Also, there were the exiled Jedi, resigned Jedi and the ones belonging to different LS Force traditions.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yoda's not omniscient. He's been self-exiled and living off-the-grid in a swamp for a couple decades. And as we saw when he met with Palpatine numerous times, it's entirely possible for a Force user who wants to keep their powers hidden to remain hidden from him, even when they're in the same room (and Yoda knew there was possibly a Sith controlling the Senate to look out for), much less the whole galaxy.

So when he and Obi-Wan refer to Luke (and to a lesser extent Leia) as the "last of the Jedi" or their "last hope," he's just referring to the Jedi that he's aware of and able to prepare for the coming battle. Besides, Luke wasn't just any run-of-the-mill Jedi. His familial connection to the "Chosen One" made him an essential part of the prophecy of bringing balance to the Force in a way a normal Jedi would not.

Yoda must have figured there were other Jedi out there in the galaxy still alive and in hiding after Order 66, since that was the entire point of his mission to reverse the message of the Jedi Temple beacon and warn the surviving Jedi to stay away from Coruscant and go to ground.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. I think that Obi-Wan's and Yoda's "last hope/there is another" means that only Luke and Leia have any chance of defeating Vader and the Emperor.

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think its definitely this. If Anakin was viewed as the one to bring balance to the force and both Luke and Leia are his children they were thought to have inherited some of that potential and likely be the only ones capable.

The idea that every potential force user was killed and those two were the only ones left isn't very logical.

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

not potential Force user...but actual Jedi. Now, it could be that those Jedi will fake their deaths....or are just "mediocre" or trainees who aren't full Jedi Knights...such that the rebellion didn't call on them for the important missions (unless they must have had another special assignment during the time of the movies)

I too hope to hear of what happened to Ashoka...

16. Wadjda

Maybe there are like 10 of them and they can take down Vader together. Every LS force user should be dead before the Battle of Yavin.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Standalone "Seven Jedi" film featuring a crippled old Mace Windu recruited by a young force-sensitive rebel who followed rumors (and his own force-driven instincts) of his survival and found him living in the lowest levels of Coruscant. Together, they track down 5 other survivors of the purge and join together to defend the nascent rebellion against an Imperial attack meant to wipe them out before they can launch their first major assault and begin the war in earnest.

The climax features all of the Jedi dying in an Alamo-esque last stand faced off against Vader and the 501st with the young rebel revealed to be a protege of Vader sent to gather the remaining Jedi together to finally finish them off.

I really really want to see this movie.

18. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The idea of a Jedi "Last stand" is interesting, but it's been done before in the old EU, specifically the Purge one-shots:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Purge

19. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think we're going to have to interpret Yoda's comment as referring to active skilled force users who embody the tradition of the Old Republic's Jedi Order.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the balance of the Force, not the balance of the Force-users. Anakin brought balance in ROTJ by killing Palpatine. After that there were 0 Sith. He did not bring balance in ROTS. In fact, ROTS tells us as much in Obi-Wan dialogue: "It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"