Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 17, 2012.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought last night was light on action but heavy on some character moments. I like Rosetti a lot more after seeing his family. He's such a rough, odd character and I didn't expect his family to keep him in check like they did. It was fun to watch.

Seeing more Harrow is always good and I'm glad they are giving him a love interest. The Eli-Nucky rapprochement is something that was nicely done. I liked how they played it where Nucky and Margaret saw something different in each other during the family talent show. And it was sad that Margaret didn't take Nucky up on her offer. I was a little pissed at Margaret that she put Nucky's business out there to his sister-in-law, when she just cheated on him last week.

I was wondering what was going to happen between Gillian and fake James. I thought she was going to use him in some scheme to gain control of the house, and I guess she did but I wasn't expecting her killing him. I knew something was up though when they spent so much time showing her bathe him. But still, that was some cold work.

Hopefully this was a calm before the storm episode and the action will pick up next week.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I also liked the insight we got into Rosetti's life and his motivation fitting in with the theme of how one can relate to God in this world.
    I also liked how we got to see a different side to Nucky and to Margaret (with her it was more the way Nucky used to see her, I guess). I wonder how their relationship will develop.
    I suspected James' Mum would kill fake James though I didn't realise it would be part of a larger plan until it happened. It was painfully awkward seeing them together so I don't mind but I wonder how this will upset things further. I mean, there are some people who know that Jim's been dead for a while and I'm pretty sure Harrow will know that the dead guy in the bathtub isn't Jimmy. It's going to be interesting to see what he'll do about that.

By the way, I can never get over how almost everyone seems to have a telephone in the show, in the 20s. Does anyone know how realistic that is? I mean it could be and it's probably just my personal hang-up because I come from a country where only about 11% of private households had a telephone in 1989, just before it ceased to exist.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Gillian is as weird and creepy as ever. Makes me wonder what that was all about, what was the point of introducing that character if he was going to die so soon? Was it so she could effectively say goodbye to him since she hadn't had the chance before Nucky shot him?

I too liked Nucky and Margaret's story, and it makes me wonder if there's a hope for salvation in their marriage, as they both learned something they didn't know about each other. We've learned that Nucky's good with children, for example. Sounds to me like Margaret was feeling like there wasn't any hope though.

4. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

No, I think Gillian was just being cold and calculating. She needed a body to have Jimmy seen as dead. She then gets the house.

IDK, I still have hope for them as a couple.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Another great character study episode.

I loved every scene with Richard and his relationship with Julia. I really hope that relationship blossoms. He deserves it.

Gillian continues to prove how utterly creepy and fucked in the head she is, but at least she had a sensible endgame (at least, within the terms of her screwed up mind).

Easter celebration at Eli's was a real treat and I liked how Nucky and Eli are slowly rebuilding their brotherhood, even if it will never be the same again. However, I was disappointed that Margaret closed the door on Nucky even after they both saw each other a new light. I still have my fingers crossed for them.

Even Rosetti's segment was interesting, and for the first time, I actually liked the character.

I would have liked to seen how Capone and Chalky each celebrated Easter but that's a small caveat.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

A good solid ep tonight with lots going on. Poor Billie. Nothing a hot iron cant fix I always say. A terrific scene and a great look on his face once the deed was done.

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that tonight's episode was pretty good. I had been waiting for Van Alden to snap for a while now and that was a well done scene. I had a feeling something might happen to Billie since they were spending so much time on her this week and I knew someone important would eventually have to be sacrificed in the mob war. Now it's really personal for Nucky.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I really wanna see Rosetti get it, particularly after what's just happened. Gillian is also gonna get hers eventually---Nucky isn't stupid.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised no one from Angela's family has tried to get Jimmy's son.

So Rosetti was the one who caused the explosion? Makes sense to try and get Rothstein and Nucky out of the way in one go. Poor girl, she had nothing to do with anything.

The end sort of resembled the episode where someone tried to kill Nucky and Margaret but the Butler saved them both.

And Van Alden really struck gold with Wife #2 huh? Real 180 from Rose...

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like Nucky's world is closing in on him after this last episode.

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I really thought Nucky would pull it off, then he just gets abandoned. Not only by his business associates but also by his wife and right hand man. Really stoked to see how this all turns out, it's setting up quite nicely.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yikes! Nucky is really on his own with Owen Slater now gone. I didn't see that coming. Helluva way to let Margeret's secret out.

Nucky should be nicer to Chalky.

Rosetti remains one fucked up dude. I really want to see him get offed.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, Owen hasn't really been doing his job in the 3rd Season so it's no big loss...

I thought Rosetti was going to use the shovel to decapitate the guy, not just beat him to death...

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I was really enjoying Owen's character, such a shame.

What I possibly see happening now is Nucky turning to Richard - at least I hope that's what happens - to be his right hand. Remember their conversation in Nucky's office at the beginning of the season? I thought that might have been setting something up. Richard will be all conflicted now that he has this new bird who actually likes him, it's almost too perfect.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It was predictable that that Owen was going to die. No surprise with Rosetti, we know how fucked up he is.

16. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Rosetti is really batshit insane and quite despicable. I knew Owen was toast the moment Lucky and Meir talked to the Italian guy whose name I've forgotten. There are now a lot of possibilities of what will happen next.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The next two episodes are going to be insane!!!

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I didn't like him much at first for whatever reason, but he grew on me. It was pretty obvious that he was going to be killed off in this episode, but I was holding out hope for him surviving as I thought there was still some good material yet to be explored with him. Besides, he was the one Irish character on the show that had a genuine Irish accent (even though he was played by an Englishman). They should have killed off Margaret instead, her accent is terrible.

Rosetti is an odd one. I didn't like his insanity at first as I felt it was too over-the-top, but over time I actually came to enjoy it, especially his rant at God before robbing the church. But in this episode I feel they overplayed it, his violent insanity has become predictable. Oh well, he'll probably be dead soon.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Not actually seeing Owen's death made it somehow worse.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, it was quite chilling.