Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw the pre-credits for March 4th.

Do NOT miss this episode. It looks like some questions will be answered and new ones raised.

2. Duncan MacLeod

3. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quick question: is that Marvel Studios special airing on March 18 INSTEAD of an Agents Of SHIELD episode?

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It appears that way. Same timeslot.

5. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Duncan MacLeod

Not if they're major characters. Only redshirts are truly expendable. ;)

7. Alidar Jarok

Well, they created the rules for this, so I'll let them explain it before I worry too much.

Certainly, Coulson's experience is something described as cruel to ever do to anyone else. Skye's not dead yet so it's technically different. We'll have to see what happens there and how it works.

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, Coulson's gambling that the SHIELD vaults have stuff that will do what Skye medically needs in a fashion somewhat less drastic than was needed to revive him. Not an entirely unreasonable gamble, under the circumstances.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like this will be a very interesting episode.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Indeed. That was quite a teaser. Good ol' May. :)

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This AoS preview aired during the Oscars and what caught my eye wasn't any of the footage, but rather the show's logo at about the 16-second mark.

The SHIELD eagle is briefly replaced with the image of Captain America's shield. The last time they did something like that, they gave the eagle Nick Fury's eye-patch (see my avatar). This lead into the Nick Fury cameo in "0-8-4".

I'm not saying to expect a Chris Evans cameo, but that and the theme of the clip, "Uprising", would at least seem to indicate a closer tie to the events of the movie.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Although that would be pretty awesome if they got Chris Evans to appear.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yes. Yes, it would.
    :)

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Given that the trailer is talking about the SHIELD team facing "a seismic shift as the Marvel Universe is changed forever," I assume it just means that the show will be significantly affected by the events of The Winter Soldier. That's probably all the shield means, because that particular version of the shield -- with the paint muted/worn off -- is also being used in promotional art for TWS.

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The plotline of The Winter Soldier seemingly gives them a chance to remake the show - I wonder if they'll drop some things they perceive as not working.

16. Alidar Jarok

I think the show has been building thematically in a way very similar to the themes in TWS. Both seem to deal with the moral ambiguity of SHIELD. While the show could theoretically abandon those themes if Steve Rogers kicks ass and overhauls the organization, it seems to me that those themes have not been the source of criticism.

If anything, people seem more upset by the team's isolation - the team seems small compared to the SHIELD organization. However, the isolation is what would allow it to avoid being directly impacted by TWS. It also is what lets the show operate on a TV budget, so I doubt it's going anywhere.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

They all but were assured at least one full season. They knew the movie calendar. They had their plan and those who've stuck with it are being rewarded. If the Cap movie ties brings the early abandoners back, excellent. However, they aren't "remaking the show". What we are getting is the plan as it's always been laid out. The large strokes for certain. This being one of them.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The problem is what they'll do when they don't have an "Age of Ultron" tie in movie to bounce off.

After tying in with "The Winter Soldier" they'll probably go on hiatus

Maybe some of the characters get caught up in the hellicarrier crashing in "Winter Soldier"

[​IMG]

Come back in the fall with "Guardians of the Galaxy" Maybe tie into that somehow

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

AoS does use themes developed from the films but I'm frankly amazed that a few of you aren't grasping that AoS is also building from that foundation by having it's own adversarial group in the form of Centipede. Giving us Deathlok as well.

There is no reason to think the show will not have it's own storylines for a S2, independent of the what the cinematic realm is doing. Depending on how S1 ends I'd wager if Centipede is shut down then Graviton could rise as a primary foe finally, Blizzard return(in his service even?), Hydra or AIM could come into play with secondary arcs not directly tied to the films.

AoS does not need the cinematic ties for S2 like it used them to jumpstart S1(IM3's Extremis). Now that it's up and running it has more possibilities to do it's own thing and when possible tie back to the cinematic realm if necessary.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

"My Fitz was in that Trikelion."