Happy 19th Birthday, Star Trek Generations!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by cooleddie74, Nov 18, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

For Kirk! HE died in the future 19 years ago!

I for one am still upset.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, Kirk's final moments underneath the metal bridge are still poignant. Even if a fan thanks his death could have been written better (I imagine that most probably do) the last moments are memorable and effective and I really don't mind the way Shatner approached the death of his most famous character.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

No offense to the writers, but I really couldn't care less about the novels. Trek is mainly a TV show and film series for me.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It's not dead as long as people keep coming on a Star Trek BBS and bitch about it being dead.

5. JarodRussell

What a fucking shame Magnum, PI is dead!

Did I just revive the TV show? When does the next season start?

6. cooleddie74

Trip's Not Dead.

We all learned that eight and a half years ago, I know that much.

7. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Shatner is a genius. Whoever says he's not a good actor really should watch more movies.

I take it back. Shatner is not a good actor. He's an AWESOME actor.

But GEN still stinks

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Notice I said "people." You're just one person, so your bitching doesn't matter. But get millions of people over years and years bitching "What a fucking shame Magnum PI is dead!" and you better believe we'd be getting Magnum PI The Next Generation.

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Does anybody remember being in Toronto (like I was) at Skydome (now Rogers Center) for the final episode broadcast on CityTV hosted by Monika Deol? And seeing the whole stadium being filled almost to the brim with fans?:techman:

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not surprised by this, in the least! The Next Generation has been the launching pad for so many great careers in Hollywood, like Ashley Judd, Teri Hatcher, Famke Janssen, Kirstin Dunst ... and others, to be sure! TNG is an epic parting gift left to us by Gene Roddenberry ... for which I am eternally grateful.

11. PaleMoonlight

PaleMoonlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I absolute love this film. I do recognize that it has its flaws( as others have mentioned, aspects of the nexus and the idea of the Enterprise-D being destroyed by a BOP) but I think many good things are flawed, and part of appreciating something is taking it on its own merits. Malcolm McDowell is great as Soran ( a not quite bad guy...I don't think he's fundamentally nasty, just driven mad and corrupt by something which is far more compelling), and it has possibly my favourite soundtrack...the way the music swells and gracefully bursts into that theme during the opening credits still gives me chills. Very nostalgic film for me.

12. cooleddie74

I like Dr. Soran more than I liked Kruge, Sybok, Ru'afo or Shinzon, I can tell you that much. Malcolm McDowell put his heart into that performance and he pulls off the role of once-nice-and-good-guy warped into a genocidal bastard by the potent addiction of the Nexus and the loss of his own family. Even with very little told about his background other than the basics he made you feel sympathy for his downfall into malevolence, which I think puts him a step above many other sci-fi villains of recent years.

13. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Malcolm McDowell is awesome. This is another reason I hate GEN: the waste of a great actor. McDowell is in his best when he has a great director, see Clockwork Orange (and many other films in his career). I remember the cheering at a convention back in 93 when it was announced "CALIGULA is the villain in the next movie!!!". Berman and Carson never knew what to do with Shatner and McDowell. That movie had everything to be one of the greatest. Those dumbos made -- what they made. What a letdown.

--EDIT: but I agree with the post above: Soran is alright. If only he didn't gang up with the cartoon Klings. Shinzon and Ru'afo are much worse villains

----EDIT 2 oh what am I saying. Not even the best actor in the world could do better with the Nexus in the plot.

14. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I love "Generations" too despite the flaws. Even the much-lauded (and over-rated) TWOK has its flaws (Kirk and Khan never actually MEET!!).

I also like a lot of the other things people hate e.g. I quite like the way Picard/Kirk met and their dialogue together.

I do NOT like how the much-loved Enterprise met its end though.

15. JarodRussell

Why is it a flaw that Kirk and Khan never meet? Why does everything have to be paint by numbers?

16. Shat Happens

OK, I'll repeat once more and that's it:

STII. Has. No. Flaws.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It has a shitload of flaws. But it is also incredibly fun to watch. :techman:

18. cooleddie74

Oh, it has flaws. But Kirk screaming Khan's name alters the very fabric of the surrounding space-time and renders those flaws easy to ignore. It's Science All Up In This Bee-Yotch, yo!

19. Shat Happens

Kirk's scream can be heard in space. Top that, Picard.

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I'm not a great fan of the Nexus amongst many things I dislike about GEN. I was reading a fan story about it the other day where the Nexus based your fantasy world about the thoughts you were having when you entered the Nexus hence why Picard and Kirk suddenly wanted to settle down - that it was just a passing thought.

Also I was thinking what if the Nexus just trapped people and kept them living forever and that Soran actually wanted to save his family instead of some fictional version of them.