Writing Janeway out of the series -- what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lance, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Janeway, with her cup of coffee, take the Delta Flyer to warp 10 while disguised as a Borg a la "Unimatrix Zero", leading to an assimilated transwarp salamander! Now even quadripeds of the Delta Quadrant won't be safe from the Borg. Meanwhile, the coffee will evolve into a javablend Janeway, just like the Silverbloods. It would set off in the Delta Flyer thinking it was Janeway just like they thought they were the real thing.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And Neelix really should have switched to decaf.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think if Mulgrew was written out they probably would have found some other Starfleet captain who got stranded in the DQ to take over for the last season.

Although I think making Chakotay Captain, if it could revitalize Beltran's enthusiasm for the role with more scripts and some new situations, it could have brought back the Maquis conflict. Chakotay making decisions the Starfleet officers disagree with, Starfleet officers questioning his right to be Captain because 'He was only made first officer to appease the Maquis', Tuvok defending him even when he disagrees with the orders.

I guess I have a higher opinion of Beltran's capabilities than some others. I think he worked well in episodes like Equinox and Course: Oblivion. And I think in those kinds of scripts that side of him would have come out.

4. Melakon

I saw Beltran in a quirky little tv-movie comedy-western, with the title role of "El Diablo", and he did well as a supposedly notorious Mexican bandit. Anthony Edwards stars, with Lou Gosset Jr, Joe Pantoliano, and DS9 guest John Glover also in it.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Exactly what I was going to say. Another captain would be found, or come through a spacial anomaly, or an alternate timeline or dimension...but they would have replaced her and kept everyone else pretty much where they were.

6. Melakon

If Chakotay had become Captain though, we probably wouldn't have had that Chak/Seven romance that seemed to come out of left field.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because he wouldn't fraternize with the crew, or because they would have played the long game and built a relationship?

I would have had the Delanney twins share him and like how twins almost always do at least once a year, forget to tell the guy that he's being tag teamed.

Parent trap the SOB!

I remember Lindsay being this adorable 9 year old in disney movies.

It seems like yesterday.

8. Melakon

It's just my personal theory, I've not seen it stated anywhere. We know Beltran was unhappy in the later years because he wanted a more prominent role in the series. I've always thought they gave him the romance to appease him. A larger role, as Captain, might have satisfied him greatly.

9. Guy Gardener

Janeway spent three months in her room.

Who do you think was in charge while she was rocking back and forth?

He had his chance.

And how hard would it have been to make her think that staying in her room for the next 3 years was best for everyone?

10. Melakon

He could have blackmailed the Doctor to make it official or risk reverting to default mode.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    If they blacked out her room windows she'd be none the wiser.

"Yes, Katherine, I know it's been three years, but this void region is awfully big..."

12. Guy Gardener

You don't have to blackmail a machine with no free will.

They could have removed her long term memory and Janeway would always think that she had been in that room for hours or days... Look how that malady incapacitated Archer.

13. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the writers had ever consistently portrayed Chakotay as a compelling character I would have loved to have seen this. But out of all the 2nd in commands I think his role was the worst written. Certainly Spock and Kira had great, compelling roles. Riker typically managed an episode every season to really shine and show command character. Heck even T'Pol was a far better written character (and thats with a terrible actress, my opinion of course).

I don't think any of the writers consistently did the character any favors. Part of me wonders if the writers did this on purpose or even subconsciously so as not to make the star, a women seem weak. I hope not, but I actually have that fear.

14. Guy Gardener

Didn't you watch Enteprise?

They treated Archer just as badly.

Well, sleeping bag sex on the side of a mountain...but sexlessness was Mulgrews choice.

If the Actress was willing to make out with some guest stars now and then, they would have had a bigger tool box to write her stories.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet when it is suggested that she did in fact make out with Kashyk or Ransome everyone has a fit.

Will we ever see a female Star Trek Captain with appetites?

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Erika?. Though I'm still a bit vague whether she and Jonathan actually got it on. Benteen's a bit of an ice maiden (at least on the surface). Do Kira or Jadzia count as an acting captains? They clearly had no hang-ups :)

17. teacake

But Erika's an old flame, not quite the same as Captain Kirk.

And yes Jadzia did have appetites! Kira seemed to have more of a stream of increasingly dull relationships culminating in her great beige romance.

18. Guy Gardener

Are you watching the HBO Comedy Girls?

The producer/writer/actress Lena Dunham seems to take almost every opportunity to take her top off and show us her breasts to the point that I'm used to them. They're common place scenery like grassy vistas or warm summer ponds.

The power these things have, most stuff has is in exclusivity.

The more men Kathryn had made out with, the less traumatizing it would have become.

Personally, I loved Kathryn and Kashyk's peck.

Did Mexican wave all by myself.

And then I went mental when I found out that her smooch was insincere.

Her lying lips!

(What ever happened to Shikira?)

19. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Remember in the episodes "Coda" and "Before and After" after Janeway was supposedly killed Chakotay was indeed then the captain/leader. So maybe that set a precedent for if KM hadn't returned? It seems would kind of stand to reason the commander would have taken over if no more KJ again. I recall when that was going on w/ KM; I was a little nervous that my heroine Janeway would be gone. Well anyway, it didn't happen, heh.

20. teacake

That was her hips, not her lips.

And Janeway, she's got swag. Her hips don't lie but thing is when she's swinging them she's usually walking down the corridor with 7.