Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never heard that one before. I'm having a hard time putting it in context.

2. SonOfMogh

SonOfMogh Commander Red Shirt

Basically any time anyone says anything to a child that they wouldn't consider saying to an adult.

I wouldn't dream of going around threatening people in the street, I would never threaten my kids. Shitty lesson you're teaching them. Same going for being inappropriately rude.

People need to learn to communicate effectively, works wonders.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I have one...

Upon witnessing an unusual endeavor, someone quips, "He has too much free time on his hands," or some variant.

Nowaday, many people say or write that almost as a Pavlovian response without really thinking about it because so many other people have repeated it. But, when you do, it implies you consider said person's endeavor is meaningless, wasteful. Why hasn't this person used that period of time to engage in something more productive. The irony is what you may consider "productive", yet another person may consider a waste of "free time".

Like I stated at the beginning, a fair percentage of people who use that phrase possibly use it as nothing more than a substitute for astonishment like "wow" or "golly". But the phrase itself reads as disapproval.

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

It can be quite amusing. :) I'm actually working as an intern at a publishers this week, and there's some rather detailed books about wine and wine tasting on the schedule. I do find myself shaking my head slightly at the sheer intensity of the hobby, the enthusiasm with which distinctions are made and flowery language is employed, etc. And then I realize that the way these people look to me is the way I no doubt look to them regarding my popular sci-fi. They natter on about alcoholic drinks and I natter on about the social structure of Cardassians. :lol:

Still, I can't really fathom how someone has the time and opportunity to write a massive in-depth encyclopedia about wine variants in a particular region. How does that happen, even if you do have the hobby?

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I usually check in with threads backwards, reading the most recent post first and working back to where I left off. I have to say that it was really funny reading your post, Nasat, and then reading Redfern's. :lol:

But I know what you mean, it's odd, but it's funny.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Obviously they have too much free time on their hands.

(Inspired by thestrangequark's post)

7. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, add to that the "do what I say, not what I do" hypocrisy of it. I HATED it when my parents would say something disrespectful (and no, respect does NOT go only one way), and then when I would do the exact same thing in return, *I* was the one in trouble.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

"It could be worse" - Way to cheer me up there.

"It's in the constitution" - usually followed by some statement or "fact" that isn't no where in the Constitution.

"<insert producer/director's name> Raped my childhood" - Usually a convo stopper for me.

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I get annoyed when someone says "It's in the Constitution' to me as if that there is one world-wide constitution that applies to all of us.

The majority of people on Earth do not have a constitutional right to bear arms, nor do all people have a constitutional right to explicit freedom of speech. Some people even live in countries that have no constitution at all.

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, really helpful. :rolleyes: And then there's the opposite: "It will get better." No, it may get better, but it may not.

Wow, I've never heard that one. It's fine to use the word rape metaphorically, but it damn well better be for something very serious, because rape is that serious.

And my pet peeve of the day: variations on "I know exactly how you feel," "I totally understand," etc. Well, no, you don't. And you just proved it by what you said next.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It really frosts my shorts when SW fans won't shut the fuck up about "Han shot first". :rolleyes: I'd explain why, but it's easy to look up. Let's just say that in no version of that scene did this actually happen, and so saying it can only serve to whine about which version of the film they prefer and thus anyone who disagrees is a moron. Which is also not true.

12. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did we see the same movie because I remember it happening before the Special Editions. I just watched it again and confirmed it on Wikipedia.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeppers, just dig out the old VHS tapes and you've got Han getting off the first shot.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the original, Han didn't shoot FIRST - he got the ONLY shot. ;)

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Ahh, okay I see your point.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, how about hearing the opposite?

"I don't understand. And it may get even worse."

17. Tora Ziyal

LOL Actually, I'd rather have someone admit that they don't completely understand than make a pretense that they do and then prove that they don't. Except usually people who say they totally understand really believe that they do, because they know (or at least they think they know) how they would react. They forget that not everyone reacts the same way to the same situation.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I wish people would just say, "Wow, that really sucks; I'm sorry that happened to you."

19. Tora Ziyal

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I give people a pass in situations like that because there's often not anything good to say, and a whole lot of bad things. Personally when I'm struggling with something I can keep it together until someone is sympathetic towards me and vocalizes that. So I hate that, but I don't expect people to know that about me either.