Did Da Vinci Smell?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Dec 9, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine you are face to face with your childhood hero, on the holodeck of course but your hero is dead and an award winning holoprogram is as close as you're going to get. But this program is so realistic that you can barely stand to hunch over Leonardo's sketch table pressed up against his polymathic body because he absolutely stinks of unwashed renaissance man. And not just unwashed, undeoderized, unflossed, unwashingmachined, un just about everything you do without thinking to maintain a healthy clean personhood.

Would you adjust the holoprogram? Do holoprograms even go to this length of realism? Or is it a special extra you get in the Da Vinci fetish package only?

I think it was all sanitary and smelled of beeswax and flowers when Kathryn was hanging out there. I don't think she wanted full immersion.

2. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ROFL. Stank hadn't crossed my mind so I presume I'd change that with haste. I imagined the smell of clay, burning embers, and the trail of the Captain's perfume.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even Horses taking a dump smell like bananas and strawberries on the holodeck.

If they sanitized racism, then they probably sanitized the filth.

I never believed that Flint was suddenly mortal at the end of the episode.

He's still out there, and he should have bumped into Janeway because it would have been hilarious.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To paraphrase Mel Brooks, "He stunk on ice!" ;)

5. teacake

She would have been in shock.

Then again if she had studied Da Vinci which she obviously did she would have known all about Flint. Maybe in this era it's considered a dubious claim? Which it could well have been.

6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's an interesting thought. But I also keep wondering if the smokey bars Riker and Picard visited in the holodecks of TNG actually had the smell such places have.

Even I as a 21st century human can't stand the air of those places and avoid them, so what about 24th century humans that have supposedly managed to eliminate smoking from their culture?

7. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did Janeway wear perfume? Does it still exist in the 24th century?

8. teacake

Of course it exists, civilizations cannot thrive without perfume.

I have over 100 bottles of perfume (that's the culled amount) and 200 bottles of perfume oils so you probably don't want to hear me talk about this subject for too long.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course he smells. He has a nose, after all.

10. Guy Gardener

On walking dead earlier this season, they met people who still had a working laundry.

They actually had slaves doing their laundry, making sure the whites were bleached and pressed.

I was like "Dude! Walkers are attracted to clean, and repulsed by filth, get your priorities straight."

11. Mr. Laser Beam

DaVinci: "My dog's got no nose!"

"HOW DOES HE SMELL?"

"Awful!"

12. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's not forget Picard's first trip to the holodeck. He paced around the conference room afterward, thrilled with the experience. He said, and I quote: "The sounds...the smells!"

Although I did wonder what would have been so fragrant about Dixon Hill's office...

13. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Booze and cigarettes? I'd be OK with that. Well, the booze, anyway. :techman:

14. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps. Or it is a more organic method instead of a harmful chemical but I assume they still appreciate scent and identity using a pleasant or occasional flirty scent.

15. Guy Gardener

You know that aliens smell weird to bad even when they are utterly clean?

Here's the truth.

Despite how long Mulgrew has to spend in the hair and make up chairs, Janeway rolls out of bed looking like that. Well maybe 30 seconds with a pin to put her hair up, but she is a flag officer in a combat ship, so if the red alert siren is screaming, she CANNOT spend 2 hours getting done up.

The purpose of the ready room, which is an office and bedroom right off the bridge, is that if she is naked, and the red alert klaxon starts blaring, Janeway is supposed to run to the bridge naked, deal with the most dangerous shit at hand, and then get a uniform on in her ready room when a pause presents itself.

If people smell bad they get shots to neuter their glands, but perfume is something that civilians deal with, and considering the peculiarities of first contact situations, the crew has to have a uniform odour to avoid possibly maybe a terminal allergic reaction from possible ingredients to those scents because misunderstandings are abundant.

Starfleet brand deodorant yes.

(Fancy?) Perfume no.

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^Janeway was not a flag officer in Voyager. Just sayin'.

17. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janeway has a extremely long hair in the early seaaons, more than one pin was needed and no way it would take 30 seconds.

18. teacake

This would work if they weren't all beaming down to planets and everyone eating and drinking and smelling whatever was there without any visible signs of ubertesting. If aliens are going to be eating and drinking on Voyager (I remember Kashyyk tried coffee) then they are not going to be worried about perfume. It's not consistent with what we've seen which is that the galaxy is a lot less allergenic than earth currently is.

19. teacake

It's done sonically. The sonic hair machine has your preferences programmed and just whips it all into shape.

20. Guy Gardener

Janeway's flag has a cup of coffee on it.

Mulgrew wore a wig in the beginning.

Did Janeway?

If hair for girls was a hat.

30 seconds seems reasonable.

(I said 30 seconds because it is impossible, but that is how long it takes the characters to get ready, even though it is impossible.)

Also?

If the female crew are uniformly wig wearing baldies...

Are they all Orthodox Jews and we just never noticed?