7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 3chordboy, Mar 30, 2013.

?

How do you rate 7x06 "The Bells of St John"?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2013.
  1. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Okay

17 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Good

21 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Great

39 vote(s)
    28.1%
  5. Outstanding

42 vote(s)
    30.2%
  6. Geronimo!!

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did anyone else guess where they were by what you could see out of the office window? Or was that just me?!!

2. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Nothing remarkable, but not horrible either - just sort of there. Smith as marvellous as ever but I do hope Clara will become at least remotely interesting in the very near future.

"Good" seems an appropriate rating.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A very satisfying romp. I liked the theme music change. Clara looked younger than the other times we saw her.

I very much want her jacket!

[​IMG]

I'm happy to have a Clara mystery :)

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

On to find the new pieces of music on youtube.

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Wish he had said Geronimo when he was flying the plane.

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was great. Reminded me a lot of a Season 26 story, and that's high praise from me.

7. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Overnight ratings are in: 6.2 million viewers, roughly consistent with what "Asylum of the Daleks" got last year and what "The Impossible Astronaut" got way back in April 2011. With timeshift, the final figure should approach 8 million. So, another strong performance.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished watching the Nerdist with it's commentary on the show and interviews with Matt and Jenna.

Quite entertaining.

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Very enjoyable indeed, this episode just whipped by at a cracking pace, watched in HD and it looked fantatsic, no issues with colours or stuff like that.

Roll on next week. :)

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

An okay episode. I wouldn't call it "awesome" or anything but it was entertaining and towards the end became quite fun to watch. The episode started off seeming like it was going to be something of a modernized rehash of The Idiot's Lantern but thankfully the end product is sufficiently different. There are some familiar Moffat tropes here, most notably creepy kids posing a threat. The interaction between Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman saved the episode and really is the highlight of the show. But really the last half of the episode is a blast to watch with great one-liner and really cool moments like driving a motorcycle up the side of a building. Certainly one of the better S7 episodes (so far).

So I assume they're setting things up for a greater mystery regarding who the mysterious lady at the shop is that gave Clara the TARDIS phone number. Also weird is the phone in the door panel ins't actually supposed to be a real phone, according to The Empty Child, though it did get a call in that very episode too. My eagle eye spotted the author of the book the boy was reading that Clara praised was none other than Amelia Williams. So I guess Amy had quite a successful career as an author in her post-TARDIS life.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fair enough. :)

12. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll get to see just how successful, since the BBC is releasing an ebook of that title, Summer Falls: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/03/summer-falls-310313000008.html.

13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

oh with the motorbike, i didn't mean to say 'where did he keep it?' (but getting a bike up stairs in the tardis must be tricky), but the sudden 'it also drives up walls because the plot needs it to' ability that just came out of no where seemed like a random jump too far. and i couldn't think of a quick way to say it properly

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I mean, even if the motorbike didn't already possess the ability, he probably would have just shot it with his sonic screwdriver to make it anti-grav abilities anyway. :p

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

it just seemed lazy

16. Mr. Adventure

He uses the sonic so much anyway he could've pointed it at the tires with an FX shot showing them starting to get goopy then drive the newly sticky tires up the building. Don't know how well that'd work or if it'd be better but it'd show him thinking on the spot instead of having it already there.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

For a second I expected them to show the antigrav clamps from the PotD bus on the wheels.

18. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He should have used the Whomobile! :p

19. Mr. Adventure

Does Moff ever use RTD stuff?

I loved that thing.

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I liked that it was a pretty low-key story, and I think the new companion is good. I also liked the little in-jokes(the TARDIS is made of wood so it doesn't go into battle, he loves the sound of "doctor who," etc.)