Tabulated review threads sorted by average score

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^I like the book club idea too. So count me in if you don't mind:)

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Keen observers might have noticed that the titles of some of the older review threads have changed: The mods and me are currently working on making the review title subject format a consistent "<Sub-series Identifier>: <Book title> by <Author(s)> Review Thread (<Spoiler status>)" (the authors sometimes don't fit though due to the maximum allowed title length) throughout, for better searchability and, well, a prettier table.

3. Patrick O'Brien

^You could shorten "Star Trek:" to "ST:" in order to save space on the longer titles?

4. Sho

"Star Trek" actually isn't part of the new subject format (seems superfluous given the context), the threads with that in the title haven't been renamed yet :).

5. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I know what you mean about keeping up, it is a bit of a struggle. Luckily, I've been able to catch every new release since 2005. The problem for me is remembering some of those earlier novels. So, I've been on a big rereading binge of late, and I'm starting to appreciate it all a whole lot more.

6. Sho

I added a few lines of code to keep a timestamped logs of threads and their scores, which I plan to later use for features like visualizing movements in the ranking (i.e. stuff common to music charts, "this is two places up from last week") and maybe plotting score development over time.

7. Patrick O'Brien

^Are you still thinking of updating the ratings options to a new format Sho?

8. Sho

No, we won't be doing that here because then we'd be losing the ability to compare older threads to new ones.

What I am considering doing is setting up a standalone TrekLit voting website, which would then indeed use a different format. Unfortunately I discovered that treklit.com is already taken, which is a big bummer ...

9. Patrick O'Brien

^That makes sense. Keep us posted, we are looking forward to the independent site. You could call it trek-opus:D Then again some of the stories don't measure up:lol:

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

What about treklit.net?

11. Sho

That one's free for the taking, along with some other reasonably decent TDLs. I'll probably go that way if I can't think of another catchy dotcom.

12. Sho

13. Patrick O'Brien

Minor differences aside, I would add them. The Destiny series was what got me into Star Trek books, so I would like to see them on the list:bolian: The positive reviews may encourage others to read them.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Treknovels.com?

15. Sho

^ A bit too restrictive, since technically speaking there's also novellas, short story collections, etc.

16. Sho

Alrighty, the three Destiny threads are now in the table (congratulations to David Mack for now occupying the top 7).

This was accomplished by LightningStorm doing some further thread renames for me (adding the "Review Thread" trigger phrase, but also using the opportunity to consistify the title formats further; thanks!) and adjusting by the code to treat "Excellent" as "Outstanding" (as the intro blurb on the page now mentions).

17. Patrick O'Brien

^Nice work Sho! Congrats to Mr. Mack on his continued thread success:bolian:

18. Sho

Thanks!

So with the Outstanding/Excellent normalization in place, it turns out that there are five additional eligible threads that aren't in the ranking yet due to inconsistent thread titles, namely for Synthesis, The Needs of the Many, The Soul Key, Unspoken Truth and Unworthy. I've petitioned Rosalind for the additional renames, and if luck holds and the mods are not yet fed up with my obsession, they shall pop up on the page soon.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope they do it. I would love to see as many books as possible on your page. It's been a useful resource in deciding what to read when.

20. Patrick O'Brien

^Agreed, the thread is a great reference for choosing a new Trek book. I hope to see more threads for older books added in the future(hint, hint):D