Transporters Yay/Nay

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Butters, May 18, 2011.

?

Would you step onboard the transporter pad?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2011.
  1. No thanks, I'll take the bus

55.8%
  2. Thought you'd never ask!

44.2%
  1. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that if it did work that way, no one in their right mind would use it.

2. HAL.9000

HAL.9000 Lieutenant Commander

Not to hijack the topic but I didn't know this thread was made so I made a similar one here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=142327

My angle though is not what the TV series says about it's physic but what would actually be occurring if this technology was developed in the real world.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

So, regardless of any (multiple?) duplicates that might be sent where ever, you believe that the transporter is basically a suicide booth, for want of a better term?

Given the Federations high moral and ethical philosophy, I just can't see them allowing their people to step into such a machine, cargo sure, but not people.

If the transporter scans you and then sends a copy to the destination, why not at that point don't you (the original Butters) simply step back off of the platform and go about your day?

If you Butters believe that your presents on the platform was solely for the purpose of making a detailed scan for an eventual copy, where does the necessity of you death become a requirement?

I guess the most straight forward explanation is that when you're transformed from physical to energy (a energy state) that you continue to have a "intact" energy body, you are for a fraction of a second an energy being, with operational eyes and optical nerves. Obviously Barclay retained his consciousness, so he also possessed a functioning brain throughout the transport process.

:)

4. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is why we need a more severe penalty if anyone is stupid enough to lie to the people about how safe the transporter is! :bolian::klingon: Does anybody think anyone will be that stupid to run a company to the ground by killing people using transporter? So, I guess they are safe and reliable! I'm not afraid of it anymore! :mallory:

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One wonders... If the "phasing" in the transporting process merely shifts your body from this physical realm to the phased one and then back, where does the "phasing" in the being-hit-by-phaser process take you? Is Heaven full of intact phased-matter-stream-bodies of Kirk's enemies? And intact phased-matter-stream-chunks-of-meat carved from the chests of Sisko's enemies, as Sisko was a cheapskate and never phased an entire enemy body?

Timo Saloniemi

6. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

I'm still amazed by how McCoy's reluctance and misgivings about the transporter are mockingly ridiculed in TMP even immediately after a fatal transporter accident. Who in their right mind would willingly step into the same machine that just mangled two of the crew. Or more properly how could Kirk haughtily order him to do it, especially after arriving via travel pod himself, specifically because the transporters weren't working.

What's still odd, of course, is that all three transports in the film imply the need of a working transporter pad at not only the origin point but also the destination.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

They don't KNOW they're sending people to a horrible death, because all the people who could tell them are DEAD! You only find out the horrible TRUTH about transporters once the machine disintegrates you! :scream:

8. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

9. Paradon

I hope the Fed is nothing like the Soviet Union which kill a lot of people sending people into outer space in an attempt to beat us in the space race. Every time you have a government looking over and taking charge of some program, people ended up getting killed, like what happened in the U.S.S.R.. And they claim they beat us while all this time they cheated! :rommie: On second thought! I'll take a shuttle! No one is going to make me! Do I sound like Dr. Macoy? :rofl::bolian:

10. Paradon

I hope the socialized medicine runs by the government in the 24th century isn't anything like we have here.... Long line (two days waiting in the ER), crappy services, and outdated equipment and procedures. I don't even trust Crusher to operate on me, so why would let them teleport me? :rommie: It gives me the creeps!

11. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not after seeing The Prestige. Not even with David Bowie's help.

12. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

If I was assured that it would actually be me stepping off the transporter and not a duplicate, I might consider it.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ :brickwall: Do I have to keep repeating myself? Just go watch "Realm of Fear". It conclusively proves it would actually be you.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But Realm of Fear directly contradicts what other episodes say about transporters including Lonely Among Us and Unnatural Selection.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, by this time next year if you should want to travel into space, it would have to be aboard a Russian spacecraft.

Surprise.

:)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if you let it.

17. Paradon

It's not the same thing, though! Russian government is still unstable and their is a lot of human rights violation...like, trafficking of sex slaves. It's practically a third world.

18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is my greatest fear, and exactly why I'm always warning people not to teleport. Even if "you" have done it a hundred times, the current version of you should avoid doing it again.

To my knowlege, the problem was first discussed in SPOCK MUST DIE (1970) by James Blish. He defined the transporter process in such a way that there was no doubt you were being re-created at the other end from scratch, not moved intact.

In TNG they defined transporting differently: a subspace carrier wave somehow acted as not just an information superhighway (instructions for your reassembly), but also as a physical highway for sending your actual subatomic particles.

Even so, I would fear that the new newly assembled you might be a copy who only thought he was the same old you.

19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not since I saw The Prestige

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

(coughs) I don't think the Providers like resurrecting 2-year old threads. ;)