(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

A "top ten" Premier League club has made a bid for Joey Barton!

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Berbatov is going to Utd, I have no doubt for that and Man City will NOT get David Villa but I think they could stand a 50/50 chance of getting Gomes.

Most likely Man City will buy some striker though what about OWEN, I do believe he will get over his injury worries and if he can score a goal every 2 games for Newcastle then bloody hell, he would do great at Man City with the likes of...

SWP, Ireland, Hamman, Johnson, Kompany, Elano & Petrov in there midfield supplying him the chances.

breaking news...

:lol: who next ?

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

They can have Gomes - he's nowhere near as good as a lot of people are claiming him to be. Did no one see him at Euro 2008!?

Man City have gone mad with power! They'll be bidding for Jesus at this rate...

And at 1953, the only teams I still haven't heard a single rumour about Wigan or the Arsenal. Surely, surely, Arsenal are going to go for someone?

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Well, I am not a happy Asgard this morning. Arsenal did no business last night except agree new contracts with a couple of our youngsters (Kieron Gibbs and Mark Randall). I can only pray that Arsene has something up his sleeve for January.

Manchester City signing Robinho is a joke.

I can only think that Manchester United managed to pull off the Berbatov deal and stop any angry complaints from Spurs by offerring them Frazier Campbell on loan. Campbell is going to be valuable to United in the years to come if UEFA bring in rules about homegrown players. United's academy has not been bringing through the talent quite as frequently as it used to.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The guy behind Man City is 10 times richer than Roman so the PL balance has once again been ruined. Big owners like Glazers, Levy & Randy dude from Villa, while rich are nowhere near the likes of Roman and now the Man City dude so I didn't mind too much but now its really getting stupid.

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    You reap what you sow.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

People can call me disloyal or a fair weather fan or whatever, but it's days like this where I start to think "f*** it". This game has gotten stupid. I used to be completely against capping anything, salaries, transfer fees, ticket prices etc. Now, I think all these people just rushing in, buying up Premier League clubs has gone too far.

I'm starting to think I would be better off supporting Dagenham and Redbridge.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

At this rate by the time Nottingham Forest get back in the PL, you will need a multi billionaire just to finish 19th :lol:

This is why I love international football so much because no owners just players and which is why I get so annoyed easily by England because this for me is the best football cna get with the highest quality of football being played and we just seem to be getting worse ever since 2006.

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Officially the Best Deadline Day Ever.

But now the panic sets in. Chelsea was bad enough, a cup team of also-rans transformed overnight (well, after a year) into title champions because a Russian gazillionaire fancied playing Champ Manager in real life. Now Man City, perpetual yo-yo team, likeable but ultimately pathetic, are the richest club in the world.

Down in the Championship, QPR have the funds to do the same, as long as Ian Dowie can navigate his way to the promised land.

What next?

The league had already become a two horse race, and now the message is that unless you are owned by foreign oil magnates, you don't have a chance at the big prize.

But fans are fickle and hypocritical. I know if tomorrow DIC came in and finally bought Liverpool, pumping in millions, I'd be chuffed to bits.

Ultimately football has become a victim of its own success. Until it is no longer a source of money and prestige for wealthy businessmen, this billion pound madness will only continue.

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but hearing an Arsenal- and a Liverpool-supporter complaining about the sellout of football is simply hilarious.

11. Tomalak

Exactly, that's why I admitted that fans are fickle and hypocritical. I don't like the way football is going, but since I can't do anything about it, I want to be owned by the richest man in the world.

12. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

The Rise of a Mighty Blue Moon!

You must admit that it is a laugh to see those United fans getting all flustered, for decades they have been by far the most powerful club in England who could outbid any club for any player.
    Now they are not even the most powerful club in their own city!:guffaw:

Still, English football is getting to the stupid stage. If this guy who owns Man City is as rich as they say, gives his manager a free reign to sign who he likes, and is in this for the long haul, then the simple truth is that City will be the dominant force in the land within 2-3 seasons.:eek:
    Still, there are alot of Ifs in there. nothing is guarenteed, I mean, just look at that lunatic who owns Hearts. He was going to smash the Old Firm and make Hearts a power in Europe, yet all he does is sack managers every two minutes, and signs second rate Lithuanians.:rolleyes:
    BRG

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Excuse me ? Arsenal make money by selling tickets, merchandise and the rights to broadcast our games on TV.

We've got two billionaires fighting over control of the club and still we don't spend these ridiculous sums on players.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ Arsenal should sell part of the club to the American who has a track record of sprt clubs, that other fat bastard Usnimov or whatever he called should be kept far far away from Arsenal.

Some breaking news here...

I feel sorry for King Kev who has tried hard but Mike Ashley's funds have dried up especially more since his company took a hit with the credit crunch.

I feel this 100% means Michael Owen will leave in January or next summer and that NUFC could be a relgeated side come the end of next season or even this one, if this turn of events do not stop.

15. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn I haven't follow any football news in the last 10 days and suddenly Citeh is literally the most massive club in the world? I wonder how United fans feel about this new Chelsea Mk. 7. :devil:

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Even he can't compete. We'd end up penny pinching all the time even more.

My feelings on this have nothing to do with Arsenal. The whole game is just become stupid now.

17. HappyDayRiot

:guffaw:

Alas, you're stuck buying Riera and some striker called Flora. What a deadline day!

I think this talk of Man City creating some sort of Top 5 that's utterly impenetrable is very premature myself. For a start, it's Man City. English football's longest running joke team. So they signed ONE big player under the noses of Chelski? Well done. It takes a big team to win something, not one striker with reasonable support and a promising goalkeeper.

Man City can offer big wages now, but can they offer a player the winning history, prestige and current upward mobility of their Red neighbours, or Chelsea, or Liverpool? No. I will be utterly shocked if they get Champions League this year, or within the next two or three.

The only negative effect I can see from this takeover is that the presence of one UAE family at one English club might draw in those people from Dubai to go in for Liverpool again. THEN I will worry about the end of the English game as we know it. At the moment, I still very much doubt Man City have enough to a) not choke and b) defeat Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea on a regular basis.

The best deal that got done yesterday, in terms of the most ridiculously priced, was Berbatov's, not Robinho's. With Berbatov it's clear he wanted it. With Robinho.. well, did he really want to settle for a team in the UEFA Cup, in dreary Manchester (bet he'll love the winter months up there), with team-mates he's probably heard of? We'll see, whereas Berbatov will get going straight away.

And QPR? Don't make me laugh! They have two things working against them and their bid for world domination. One is Iain Dowie. The other is the league they are in - you can be as rich as you want in the Championship, and you'll still get beaten by some dodgy promoted team or held to draws by half the rest on any given day.

18. Tomalak

Re: The Rise of a Mighty Blue Moon!

I wouldn't go that far. Not every player is a mercenary like Robinho. The very best will want to go to the very best clubs, and at the moment City is not one of those.

19. HappyDayRiot

A horror scenario is unfolding in my mind, far beyond this money business.

If King Kev goes, there is surely little doubt Dennis Wise will become manager. Of Newcastle. In the Premiership. Now that's a reason to lose faith in football.

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^And that is just ridiculous. Dennis Wise managed my club for short period. I don't think he's had a good record anywhere he's been.

Yeah, Robinho kinda forced himself out by saying he wants to leave Madrid and all that. Gotta laugh at Chelsea though, last week printing shirts with Robinho's name on and then being gazumped by Man City :guffaw:

But it's blatantly obvious why Robinho moved, just a few days ago his head "was at Chelsea".

I too think this big 5 is premature, City haven't won anything yet. But now they have the best chance to displace one of the top four, which presumably would be Arsenal or Liverpool. And the task of Villa/Everton/Spurs just got a whole lot harder too.