Bill Murray Confirms Ghostbusters III Rumor

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Re: Bill Murrary Confirms Ghostbusters III Rumor

Here's hoping it's good. :techman:

3. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System

yeah... i read that rumor... him being a ghost for the movie... I think that's cool...

4. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it will be good with my opinion being based ENTIRELY on the Ghostbusters video game that came out last year. All the guys sounded great in the roles and the writing was funny enough to make the game feel like it fit in the universe right alongside the old movies.

If they can do that good of a job with a video game (which Aykroyd and Ramis wrote), then I have high hopes for a film.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Funny. This is the one element of Ghostbusters III that has been floating around since all the drafts of Hellbent in 1999 and early 2000. The first is Venkman as a ghost -- in the first draft of Hellbent, Venkman had been dead for years, and when the Ghostbusters were in Hell for the climactic battle, God took on the face of Venkman and talked them through their bullshit to give them the solution to defeat Satan. Later drafts had an opening ghost battle, in which Venkman died saving the rest of the team, only to return, again, to save the day in Hell.

I really, really hope that Ghost Venkman doesn't mean that the Office guys have just done a rewrite of Hellbent, because every single draft of it was fucking terrible. I don't think it's true, because even the basic pitch of Hellbent was enough to make Ivan Reitman say, "If you want to make this movie, go ahead, but I'll have no part of it," and he's come aboard the project now ... but, man. The writers of Year One and elements from a script worse than even the most execrable stuff from The Real Ghostbusters. I'm starting to get worried.

They did not, according to Harold Ramis in an interview last year with the New York Times. While Aykroyd and Ramis have the writing credits for marketing purposes, the script for the game was written by Terminal Reality staffers. The script was then sent to Aykroyd and Ramis for "touching up," which meant adjusting the terminology for accuracy and a few adjustments here and there. Ramis said in the interview, "They didn't pay us enough to spend enough time to make it as funny as the movies."

And, really, The Video Game was pretty weak in the writing department. "Pull my finger! I, Vigo, command you!"

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

7. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

8. Timby

Re: Ghostbusters III Rumor

Right. For the first time ever, the film is officially in pre-production; the script is in the revision stage and design work has been underway for a few months. This is the closest it's ever been to actually happening.

I have a hunch that Venkman gets killed off in the early goings, prompting the Ghostbusters to realize that, to borrow a phrase from another series, they're too old for this shit. This leads to the hiring of the "new Ghostbusters," who, while proving themselves capable, are no match against the ultimate threat, leading the originals to suit up again and save the day. And then there's a Venkman ghost cameo shoved in there.

9. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Truth. If I was a writer at TR I'd be sorta pissed, really.

10. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I'm beyond worried. I'm at the point where if it's decent, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

11. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    It's going to be difficult any group of people to be better then the SNL group... they had years of working together. If It's half as good I'd be surprised...

12. Timby

Ghostbusters II is decent. I'm at the point where if we get The Naked Gun: 33 1/3, I'll renounce my agnosticism and return to the Catholic Church, because that'll be proof enough of the existence of the LORD.

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, if they're going to kill off Venkman they had better do so for the sake of some hilarious pitch black comedy. Don't make us cry at it, make us laugh (and feel terrible for doing so.)

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did he really confirm it though? It sounds like it could have been said in jest.

Also, it's from The Daily Mail. I think I'll wait to hear it from somewhere other than a tabloid before I believe it.

15. Timby

It's a rumor that first found its roots in every single draft of Ghostbusters 3: Hellbent a decade ago, confirmed recently by Sigourney Weaver, and now by Murray himself. It's true. Murray hates sequels, and he's particularly loathsome towards the Ghostbusters franchise, partially due to his issues with Harold Ramis (which have reportedly been resolved, but not fully).

I have no doubt in my mind that Murray continued the same demand that he's had since 1997: "I'll appear in another Ghostbusters if it's only a few scenes." (Before that, he said that he'd star in another entry if he were paid 18 percent of the gross revenue of Ghostbusters II, plus his salary for the third film, which was never going to happen.)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last I heard is that the computer game would be the only further Ghostbusters sequel we would ever see.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you! I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this. The game was okay (in terms of story), but I don't get the slavish love it got. The writing felt more like it was from an episode of the cartoon series than the movies (not put down on the cartoon, but the tone was very different from either of the films - and I was wishing it was more like the films).

That was before GB3 got its latest revival.

18. Timby

Sierra's -- followed by Atari -- public relations department spun Ghostbusters: The Video Game as an unofficial Ghostbusters III, written by Aykroyd and Ramis. Aykroyd played into this with an interview in the magazine, Game Informer, in which he said that he viewed the game as Ghostbusters III. (Though Ramis debunked that with his aforementioned NYT interview.)

This is no longer true, however: Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, of The Office and Year One, were signed last year to create a script for Ghostbusters III under the supervision of Harold Ramis. Their initial pitch was enough to convince Ivan Reitman to return to the fold as director, and Ernie Hudson to return as Zeddemore. Sigourney Weaver was subsequently persuaded to appear, as well.

I'm just terrified of the movie, because Year One, written by those idiots and supervised / directed by Ramis, was one of the most horrible films I've ever seen.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Year One was incredibly disappointing but I hold out hope that Ghostbusters III will be different. I've always wanted to read "Ghosbusters III:Hellbent" and a few years ago found a fan fic spec script that was just plain awful. I like the concept of "Hellbent" just not the execution of the story. When did Signourney come back? I thought she stated during her Avatar press junkets last year that she wasn't involved?

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the idea of him being a ghost is absurd. None of the ghosts shown in the movie have been shown to have any level of inteligence of "sentience."