Does Voyager end up in its original universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Melakon, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Al Bundy! My hero! :techman:

2. Lynx

And then Mick dumped her!

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Men who can't handle a real woman, you mean. :lol:

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kes was a sweet and innocent docile sheep because she was raised in a gilded cage by a caretaker like a loved pet.

Nature vs. nurture.

An Ocampa born and raised in the real would would likely have a less hello kitty personality, but not certainly so.

5. Lynx

Lot of BS in this ruined thread.

Some people seem to forget that Kes actually revolted against that system.

Not to mention that Kes wasn't that sweet and innocent either. She had a strong will and didn't let anyone push her around. There were lots of episodes where Kes did show strong will and determination.

but I guess that when the only purpose is to throw dirt on the character, such events are quickly "forgotten" and ignored. :(

6. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^Right on sir!!! She had an indomitable will that was simply belied by the packaging, natural and costume choicewise.

As to the natural demeanor of the Ocampa, at least pre Caretaker, who's to say that there weren't any number of grumps schlepping around that big hole in the ground. The middle aged ruling class flak that challenged Kes in the organic garden, forget his name, seemed pretty dour. Also, the doctors and nurses that got left with dealing with the Caretaker's rejects couldn't have had too many smiles plastered on their faces after getting slugged around by the likes of B'Elanna all day!!!

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Given the length of the lifespan, one might expect Ocampans to have the attention span of fruit flies. Outside of someone like a caretaker to lead them around, what would they do that would last longer than the attention span of an extreme ADD individual compared to species that live 10 or more times longer. Honestly conversation between Neelix and Kes should be more like:

N: Kes, could I ask you something about yesterday?
    K: Why drag up ancient history... squirrel!

8. Guy Gardener

There was a season three episode where she says "I've spent almost half my life on Voyager, it's time I thought about moving on." which is a laugh since to Tuvok the Delta Quadrant so far must have seemed like a long weekend.

You would think that Janeway would be checking alien lifespans as she's planning her crews career paths. What's the point in grooming an alien to take over after her who is going to die of old age in just 20 years?

9. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An interesting question. Give me enough time and I will get back to you. (Given the current rate of my Voyager rewatch, probably 10 years...)

10. Lynx

The nine year life span was just silly. Anyone should realize that beings with such a short lifespan could never develope into more than primates.

11. Guy Gardener

This is why you hate Kes more than anyone else.

I like Hamlet, except that his father is dead and he's looking for the murderer.

I like Luke Skywalker except for the fact that he's a Jedi Knight in training.

I like Sherlock Holmes except for the fact that he is a cocaine powered detective.

I like Captain Janeway except that she is a female star ship Captain lost in the DElta Quadrant.

12. Lynx

I like Kes because of her personality, not some silly, unrealistic writer stupidity.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

Now I've got a lovely mental image of Holmes stopping at a cocaine dispensing petrol pump style affair, opening a little hatch up in the side of his long coat, and shouting "Fill 'er up!".

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Just an aside, as I've noticed I'm more occupied with an old game right now than I am floating around the board the last few days. I don't want teacake to start organizing search parties and long range sensor sweeps.

Besides being busy playing with the game, today I bought Voyager: Season 7, so it will be like a rewatch in reverse. I wasn't catching it all in first run, but I think I've seen all of them, though several only once.

I chose Seven because it features heavy work from Picardo and Ryan, and I just prefer Borg Babe over Pixie Mayfly (read that however you wish). I just bought the volume ninety minutes ago, along with caffeine and smoking supplies :shifty:, and so far I'vve only been watching the special features.

Episodes I'm looking forward to seeing again: "Imperfection", "Body and Soul", "Workforce", "Author, Author", and "Renaissance Man".

A common element in most of these is four of them allow several of the actors to work a bit outside who they normally play. So, it's going to be a long enough night if I just manage to watch all those, but I figure it will be much longer than that. ;)

15. Guy Gardener

I was really looking forward to the next season however it was really odd with season 8 of Voyager how they changed the Captain, the crew, the ship, the time period and the name of the show.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am almost done with Buffy and playing my own game atm Melakon :lol: Watcha playing?

And oh it's really lovely seeing a Trek you've only seen once, long ago, it's like brand new Trek. I'm sure there are some TNG's I could have that experience with except a lot of them make me fall asleep.

17. Melakon

I'm playing The Movies by Lionhead (I got the name wrong in a post a few days ago), with its expansion pack Stunts & Effects. It came out around 2005-2006, and it's on this XP machine, I was never able to get it to install under Win7.

The game concept is you're in charge of a movie studio. You hire actors, directors, extras, writers, stage crew, construction, janitors, research scientists, and probably a job category I'm forgetting. Then you have to build the production buildings and stage sets.

The Sandbox is the really juicy part but you have to unlock certain improvements through the game first to have them in the sandbox. In there, you can assemble crude scripts from preset actions, though they are limited. I enjoy the game for the concept, but consider it flawed in execution due to some maddening limitations. Some people make machinima (sp?) videos with it.

Naturally, my studios tend to be heavy on sci-fi films since there are sets, costumes, and props available. But you can also do Horror, Romance, Action, and Comedy (though their comedy animations are really unfunny).

You have to write any dialogue you want around those preset actions, and you can also import sound, music, and vocal tracks. Or you can export the video of your film into a .wmv file and edit it in your own editing program.

Since one of their sci-fi bridge sets suspiciously resembles something very close to Starfleet design, I'm doing my own pseudo-Treks.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey if you put it up on youtube let me know!

19. Melakon

You will get advance warning if it comes to pass.

There are no transporter effects, but if you get a high enough tech level in the game, you get spaceships to use in fancy "green screen" shots. And with similar tech requirements, a futuristic shuttle type vehicle is selectable for scenes normally using a helicopter. One stunt action is a team rappelling down ropes from the copter. But when I'm using the shuttle, I make the ropes invisible so it looks like they're floating down. :lol:

It will take a while before I can get that stuff unlocked. I must have removed my unlocked bonus during a disk cleaning effort a few years ago, because I'm having to start from the beginning again.

20. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is why Trek fans are their own worse enemy because they can't except the idea of suspension of belief to except the fiction part of sci-fi.