What do you want to see in TAS Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I find I'm having the opposite reaction I had for TOS-R (which was, "leave my beloved Trek alone you mutilating bastards"). I don't have the same emotional attachment to TAS. I'd love to see the whole thing remade using realist CGI characters, or full-animated anime, with the original soundtracks.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to see a full-out CGI remake of TAS. Re-do everything from the ground up - but keep the voice tracks. They can do that. There's no reason any of the voices would need to be replaced, would there be?

TAS had some good stories, but its actual animation was decidedly subpar. And yes, I'm aware that there are reasons for some of its idiosyncracies (Hal Sutherland's colorblindness, which would explain why the Klingons wore pink uniforms and some of the crew's Starfleet uniforms would randomly change color), but there were other things that just looked stupid, such as the Enterprise flying sideways during the credits.

In any case, as has been pointed out, TAS was done on film so it can be released on Blu-Ray right now if they want. I wouldn't be opposed to doing that. And at the same time a new CGI version of the show can exist right along with it. Perhaps even put both versions on the same volume and allow the viewer to choose. Remaking TAS wouldn't destroy the original, any more than nuBSG would have done with the original BSG.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

reply in a moment...

4. TREK_GOD_1

...and here of all places!

It has also been described as pretentious--when directors/animators become too self aware of the then-"new direction" the work was taking. Also, it is important to note that certain social ideology of the period played a part in the celebration of that work, as opposed to earlier efforts of MGM (for one example) which did not need interpretation or commentary to be successful to a mass theatre audience hungry for more.

Then CBS should prove their own creative abilities by producing an all-new animated series. Be brave and take that chance, as "Remastering" or any form of tinkering with the original just smells of trying to gain from the creative labors/cultural effects generated by others.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

After all this time, would the original voice actors receive any additional money?

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I suppose it depends on how their contracts were drawn up, and if there's a clause for derivative works. Shatner and Nimoy probably had the most lucrative contracts.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm all for an all-new animated series. But it doesn't change the fact that for a long time I've felt the animation of TAS needs to be redone. I love the planetscape backgrounds and the design work put into it... but the animation is pretty piss-poor.

Putting TAS on Blu-ray, as-is, simply isn't going to be much of an upgrade. The animation is so simple, I doubt we're really missing any significant details watching the DVD's.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

For the live action series, none of the actors received money after the first five re-runs (except Shatner, who owned a percentage of the program, and successfully sued Paramount for it in the 1980s). For an animated series broadcast from 1973-74, I doubt their deals were any better, but I don't know for sure.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

TAS on BluRay? Great, now we'll be able to see the fingerprints, hairs and paint smudges on the cells MUCH clearer! :lol:

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I stand corrected! :guffaw:

11. T'Girl

In "The Survivor" we could have some interesting hentai-style tentacle sex between Anne Nored and the Vendorian.

That might get the blu-ray sells rolling.

:)

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the brain bleach...

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Is that what he did? :wtf:

Now I'm really gonna make sure I never lose my VHS tapes of the original, un-messed-with, Han-shot-first trilogy!

Remakes and "improvements" really irk me. It's like colorizing black-and-white shows and movies are going to make them better. I loved the 1950s Richard Greene Robin Hood series, but when I saw a colorized version, it looked incredibly stupid - NOBODY wears that shade of green!

14. TREK_GOD_1

That has the same chance of happening as Geordi had of being in a real relationship with a woman during the TNG TV series.

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for it.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

If they remake BEM, it'd be nice if they found some way for his individual parts to move other than magical levitation. BEM himself couldn't fly, why could his arms and head? Even at 15 that made me go :cardie:

16. T'Girl

Foster's adaptation made more sense, the flying head walked around on tiny legs, the torso walk on it's hands.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Not sure if that actually makes what ya can call sense, but it at least it obeys the laws of physics. :lol:

18. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think I ever saw the same version of TAS that you did. The one I saw had very little movement, insignias DID often change colors... as did rank for the same character, continuity within each episode was non-existant... and yet, because it was my first exposure to Star Trek, I LOVE IT! I still consider my favorite Father's Day present, ST:TAS on DVD.
    Agreed!:techman:
    This^!:techman:

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In an ideal world I'd see TAS redone with good 2D style animation as opposed to cgi like that seen in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I think it would best respect the original artistic integrity (and, yes, there is that in TAS) while also making it more enjoyable for younger viewers. There was a lot of good and interesting ideas in TAS, but the final result was just too static overall, and that was evident even when the show was first broadcast. At the time the static quality wasn't minded so much because it was new Star Trek in addition to the oft-viewed reruns of the original seventy-nine TOS episodes. But time has long eroded that novelty.

A redone TAS would make the show more visually appealing, but it still couldn't help that truncated feeling a lot of the episodes have, the sense that scenes and story are missing to fit the episode into a half hour format.