Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would trade all of the recent DC cartoons in for the cancelled Judas Contract adaptation as the direct to DVD movie is was supposed to be.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, I know, and I agree.

Perhaps I should have emphasized seems more. I just meant that I'd be more enthusiastic about tuning in; being "meh" up front about something makes me less likely to structure my time to give it a chance.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention the episode ending on July, 4th.

4. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another interesting thought about a YJ season 3 - if they did another five year time jump, would the season look at the end of the iconic heroes and the YJ team taking their place? The two jumps would place the time line 10 years after the start of the series; and the heroes had been in operation before that. Batman would be at least in his late thirties / early forties by the time of a 5 year jump season three.

I had often thought that a season three would be subtitled Legends based on the late 80's mini-series that reintroduced the iconic heroes versus Darkseid; and using that idea to have the YJ team take over the iconics legacies would have been a nice parallel.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The entire Season Two bit with G.G.G. badmouthing the heroes was right from Legends. I thought that's what S2 was going to end up being, but I guess it was setup for S3. Too bad we won't get it now... I love Darkseid.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, it wouldn't be a Greg Weisman show if it didn't end with the arc unresolved...

7. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that Weismann said that another time jump was in the cards. The thing that makes the time jumps interesting is that they have noted that Connor is not ageing. How would he deal with his friends getting older and stepping up to possibly replace their mentors while he stays time locked to the moment he was freed. Of course he would also have to contend with the fact that his "brother" will be long lived as well.

I could see Conor living long enough to become Valor in the Legion of Super Heroes

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Valor? never heard of him. Or do you mean that guy that looked like Mon'El? Because he never existed.;)

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Only his appearance doesn't age.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

RIP Young Justice and Green Lantern :( With both these shows and clone Wars ending my Saturday mornings just got boring again.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if Season 3 of YJ was going to shift the focus more onto new heroes brought in during the time jump. That was certainly the impression I got with Wally being "gone", and Dick quitting.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was never a huge fan of the GL cartoon but that was a pretty good ending. Where the hell were the other Corps though?! The universe was about to be destroyed!!!

Also, it was terribly convenient how Manhunters can be destroyed with a single blast now, where before it took an entire episode to beat one or three :lol:

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Physically he stays the same but his insides are aging. We could have had a story where his heart might give out etc.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman can live hundreds if not thousands of years. Even with a fraction of Superman's power, he could still live a century or two.

15. Christopher

Depending on the continuity. I've seen some interpretations that implied he aged only a little slower than normal, e.g. Kingdom Come and Batman Beyond.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

In the Kingdom Come epilogue that Ross did in JSA, he is still around in the Legion era.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Who started this "Superman lives forever" BS, anyway?! That never quite made sense to me. He aged at normal speed into his late 20s, so why would that change all of the sudden?! It also kinda came out of nowhere in the 90s, I felt, and suddenly, everyone was doing it.

Anyway, GL had a nice ending, although that Manhunters got really easy to destroy felt like lazy writing. And I so hate that we won't get to see that third season of YJ, because judging by what's been set up, it'd have been awesome. I wonder what Weisman's up to next. Whatever it is, I'm likely to follow.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I always viewed it as a byproduct of prolonged exposure to a yellow sun. The longer he was under it's influence, the less he aged as his body became more efficient.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I recall a plotline from the 60s 0r 70s that had Superman living so long that life on Earth dies. Later he repopulates the planet with various lifeforms gathered from across the universe.

20. Christopher

That's not true. There were stories by Elliot S! Maggin in the '70s and '80s that portrayed Superman as effectively immortal and still being around thousands of years in the future. Here's one from 1984 where he's still around in the 60th century. There may have been earlier ones in the '60s as well. After all, that was the era when Superman's powers were at their most unlimited and godlike.

As for the sense of it, there's no real inconsistency between growing up at a normal rate and senescing at a slow or nonexistent rate, because those are two distinct processes. Basically there are two competing things going on in the body, cell growth and cell death/decay. In the first phase of life, maturation, growth dominates. In the middle phase, adulthood, the two are roughly balanced. And in the latter phase, senescence, decay dominates. So if you slow decay, it could slow aging in the latter part of life without affecting maturation in the early part of life.