Did Insurrection kill the TNG franchise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Sep 20, 2012.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    yes. It came right after the big success that was FC, and did more than $20 million less in box office. After doing an ambitious, fun action blockbuster in FC, for some reason they did a 180 and decided to do a lame, boring movie about an unsympathetic group of people that no one cared about.

I get that they didn't want to try to "top" FC, but you don't radically depart from the very things that made your extremely successful movie a success in the first place. "well, first contact did great, so let's make a movie that's like it's opposite. Unambitious, uninteresting, lame humor, a lame dilemma, and lame villains."

Nemesis wasn't so great, but it was better than INS. At least it had ambition.

2. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

INS was 'supposed' to be the ST IV of TNG movies. The more sunny, fun, relaxed romp after the dark previous film. The only problem was that failed to deliver either laughs, or action. And just wound up being lame and very vanilla.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Not doing a 5th TNG movie killed the TNG franchise.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Really? I thought the lighting employed on the Enterprise was absolutely beautiful.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Cinematography in Generations is definitely the best of the films. I love how finally, light came from space through the windows, and even the viewscreen.

People often say they tried to hide flaws of the sets in shadows for the big screen. But that's bull. First, just look at TNG-R, there is nothing to hide, because the sets are good. Second, they revamped the sets for the film anyhow.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Paramount found something to do with the cash that was far more profitable than a fifth TNG film would have been: flushing it down a toilet.

8. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, the 1701-D sets in Generations looked great.

9. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Those scenes from Generations in Ten Forward and the ready room while the Enterprise was near the star, with the warm yellow light washing over everything... beautiful, and also very unique. I can't think of any other instance in Trek where the lighting was that effective.

Stuff like that is one more reason, albeit a minor one, for Trek's decline in the late 90s and early 00s. It began to look, sound, and feel stagnant. By the time Enterprise began to experiment a little with its cinematography and scoring it was way too late.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Answer. It didn't.

If people are going to blame something it should be Enterprise.

11. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Nothing wrong with Enterprise.

12. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

Well from the responses, it looks to be almost 50/50 as to whether or not Insurrection killed the TNG movie franchise. I have no doubt in my mind that had Insurrection been well received and made more money, Nemesis might not have been "A Generation's Final Journey." I still have a feeling of an incompleteness to the TNG franchise. Let me pose this question...after First Contact, why would they change movie styles to go to a light and fun movie? I was much of an internet guy back then, but was there a huge backlash or desire from the fans to go back to a TNG-TV style of movie??

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Plenty of things wrong with Enteprise. The first two seasons being mediocre to terrible for example. Also a bad captain that keeps getting beat up and captured.

14. NrobbieC

The first 2 seasons of ENT are better than the first 2 seasons of DS9, VOY and especially TNG. My god he first 2 seasons of TNG were atrocious.

Archer's still better than Kirk.

15. BillJ

The sad thing is that you actually believe that.

Archer had his high points, but he had way too many embarrassing moments.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

A Trek Captain needs to be commanding and respected. They completely failed at showing those parts when creating Archer.

Janeway was more of a Captain than Archer was, even though she was written so inconsistently!

17. NrobbieC

Yeah, that was the point, being the first and all.

18. BillJ

No. Not gaffes where he was in over his head, gaffes where he was simply too stupid to know better. Go take a gander at Strange New World, where he nearly gets his landing party killed because he was too dumb to know good advice regardless of its source.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'll take the first two seasons of DS9 and VOY over ENT.

Also I'll excuse TNG's first two seasons since it was the first modern Trek series. They were still learning how to do Trek without Kirk and Spock. Even as bad as the first two seasons were, we got a few classic episodes like 11001001, Datalore, Conspiracy, Elementary Dear Data, The Measure of a Man, and Q Who.

I can't remember anything about the first two seasons of Enterprise except for the horrible A Night in Sickbay episode and how bored I was through the first two years.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

You are correct. It was Insurrection that killed the TNG movie franchise. At least for me. I so hated Insurrection that I didn't even bother to go see Nemesis until after it was out on DVD. Insurrection coupled with Voyager and Enterprise put me completely off of Trek and that ain't easy to admit. I've been a fan since I was two years old but I was goddamned if I was gonna stay a fan because the quality had fallen so goddamn low.

Thankfully JJ brought me back to the fold... :)