X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I liked how naked Mystique actually makes sense for a shapeshifter. When she mimics someone, she also mimics their clothes which are themselves part of her. The alternative is to have her spending half the time knocking people out and nicking their outfits.

Having said all that, I think they cheat with this a few times in FC as I think there are a few time where her clothes change while she's supposed to be wearing actual clothes.

It would be neat if at some point they do give the classic white dress a nod, but I can't say as I miss it. I have to ask though, why a skull belt?

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Because skulls are cool.

I could do without the skull honestly, but it would be nice to see her in white.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. It's both better and faster to put on.

4. Venardhi

It definitely looks more like a suit and a lot of the more dramatic scales on the shoulders and arms are gone (unless they are put on top of the bodysuit). If the difference will actually matter on screen is still to be seen. The makeup job wasn't nearly as good as the one on Romijn anyways.

5. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I don't understand why, if she can make clothes from herself when she's in disguise, she wouldn't just make clothes from herself when she's not in disguise, just so she would be, y'know, clothed, and not naked.

If she has modesty when she appears normal, why would she suddenly lose that modesty when she's blue and scaly? In fact, I think it would psychologically make more sense for her to have more modesty in her true form, rather than when she's costumed to look like someone else.

And the bodysuit does look pretty incredible. Wonder if they'll be able to keep it from bunching up on the inside of her joints.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Using her ability to mimic clothing she is still actually naked. The 'clothes' are her body.

Wearing real clothes may take less effort and be warmer...

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They can fix all those scenes with computers after filming. Visual Effects are wonderful these days.

8. Ruaidhri

Completely agree with you there.

Take the functional purpose of clothing away, and you're left with A) cultural taboo, and B) fashion.

Either one of these would be a reason for her to either put some bloody clothes on, or do the mimicry thing. And the mimicry thing would be infinitely cheaper from the fashion POV. My wife would probably kill for such an ability. :p

Given her attitude, I can see Rebecca Romijn's Mystique having no shame, or being naked just to make others uncomfortable. I can't see Jennifer's Mystique being emotionally in that place.

The ability to stay shifted obviously requires concentration, because if she loses consciousness she reverts to blue and bare. But it hasn't ever seemed to be difficult for her, at least to my memory, without outside factors being an influence.

Good point!

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^They dealt with this in First Class...she stopped wearing clothes as a matter of mutant pride after Eric began to influence her.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though I guess it makes sense for a shapeshifter to walk around naked, I've never cared for them doing the character that way. I would prefer to see her in some kind of clothes, either one of her comic looks, or something new.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The problem with her wearing clothes is, does she take off her clothes every time she has to shape shift? Are people saying the clothes should be her default look?

12. Ruaidhri

Ahhhhhh, I had no recollection of that. Need to watch it again!

13. Venardhi

She can shape-shift into someone wearing clothing, why couldn't she just shape-shift the clothing? It could even be a sort of semi-organic looking thing that blends into her flesh.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Did you see First Class? It pretty much covers all those points.

Failing that, there's her line to Kurt in X2. (paraphrasing) "If you can look like one of them, why don't you stay like it all the time?" "Because we shouldn't have to."

As for be cold. Clearly it doesn't bother her. Maybe that's part of her mutation. Hell, even as a child she was creeping around at night totally starkers. Admittedly that might have been out of necessity more than anything. It's pretty clear she was homeless and I recall in one of the films she mentions her biological parents tried to kill her, so she's most likely a runaway to boot. Indeed, this may inform her later choice to shun clothing. An act of defiance, a statement of who she is and a promise to herself to never feel ashamed.

Honestly I'm interested to see where they go with her in the next film. Watching X1-3 after having seen FC certainly puts her actions in an interesting light. I can't help but wonder ho they'll handle her transformation (no pun intended) from idealistic girl to cold blooded, borderline psychotic killer.
    She can. She just chooses not to. As stated above, it's a core part of her character and self-identity.

15. Venardhi

I don't particularly care for that particular aspect of her character. Mystique isn't a rebellious child who does things out of spite. Why shouldn't she revel in her mutant-ness and explore the vast potential of her powers? It makes her seem like she thinks she has something to prove "Yeah, I walk around naked, whatcha gonna do about it HUMAN?".

Meh.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was never one to look a gift naked actress wearing body paint in the mouth.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's not spite, it's pride. But yeah, what *are* you gonna do about it HOMOSAPIEN! ;)

Like I said though. I'm interested to see how they reconcile the two very different versions of her we've seen. I mean by the end of FC you can totally see how young Xavier & Erik can become the Professor X & Magneto from the other movies, but Mystique is still missing a step to become that terminally pissed off assassin.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It might still require significant f/x costs in terms of smoothing out fabric wrinkles.

:bolian: (Not that there's anything deficient about her mouth...)

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Others have already pointed this out, but the reason Mystique doesn't wear clothes all the time is dealt with in FC, and is actually at the heart of why she joined forces with Magneto in the first place; it's also directly tied in with what she says to Nightcrawler in X2.

With regards to FC Mystique being different from X-Trilogy Mystique, I've never understood why people put so much focus on this because it ultimately comes down to influence. By the time of the X-Trilogy (assuming they take place in the late 90s/early 2000s), she's spent at least 40 years (if not longer) at Magneto's side; it's kind of inevitable that she'd be significantly different, attitude-wise, than the young woman she was growing up with Xavier.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, now THIS is interesting. Evan Peters joins the cast as... Quicksilver.

Now, all Joss Whedon has to do is use Peters in Avengers 2 and we have a shared universe.

Singer tweeted...

Last edited: May 23, 2013