Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Beyerstein, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I enjoy the the new time line and would like to see it continue. I also have no problem with bringing the old time line back either. I am flexible.

2. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Where does this idea come from that the "Prime Universe" would mean stilted storytelling, etc? It's a setting, just like the JJverse. A creative and talented showrunner with a creative and talented writing staff will get great stories out of either one. Do another jump, into the 25th Century, or do another prequel, or whatever.

If we ever get another TV show it will most likely be in the "Prime Universe" unless CBS decides to reboot or do their own split timeline. We're not getting a TV show in the JJverse since Paramount owns those rights. It's always possible that that will change, though.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I doubt we'll ever see the old timeline onscreen again. When has a popular media franchise EVER gone back to a discarded continuity after rebooting itself? I mean, does anybody expect the Batman movies to go back to the Burton/Schumacher timeline now that Nolan's trilogy is over? Or maybe even back to the Adam West era?

That's not how it works.

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I would prefer the prime universe to return to tv or movies. Why can't there be both? As for the new fans of the last two movies are they fans at our level or just interested as long as they get diverting movies?

5. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I feel like these discussions always turn into "what's most likely" or "what's commercially viable" which is all well and good, but simply answer the question what do I want as a fan...I would LOVE for the prime universe to come back in some kind of shape or form other than the books (which I love and am grateful for). That being said, I'm not holding my breath.

6. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hear a lot about new fans but from the ones I heard from/talked to at Vegas con last weekend, fans that got into Trek via the JJ movies go back and watch all the shows and movies and become big fans. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, we are talking about people that will shell out money to spend 4 days at a convention.

7. Greg Cox

I think it's a mistake to assume that there's no overlap between those camps. And that anyone who likes the reboot is somehow less of a fan. Some long-time fans like the new movies. Some like them less, but it's not like there's a higher "level" of fan who only likes the old stuff . . . and that only callow newbies like the new stuff.

Let's be honest. There's no such thing as "what the fans want." As this board proves every day, we're an opinionated and argumentative bunch. Expecting "the fans" to agree on anything is like expecting tribbles to practice birth control. :)

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

To quote from a famous cult movie of the 1980s, there can only be one. And that one will (if there's ever a new TV show-but with regards to the current head of CBS, I'm not holding my breath) most likely be based the the Abramsverse, since it's the most successful one.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had to laugh at the matter-of-factness to it all.
    I think we need a video with Doc Brown explaining all of this on a chalkboard!

:lol:

Anyway, seems as if you're right. I can't recall a franchise rebooting and then reneging on said reboot. We'll see. But as time goes on it seems likely that we'll see more rebooting so close to each others' release.

The Hulk really floors me. I think filmmakers took it to set a precedent that audiences really don't care if a reboot happens shortly after the dust settles from a previous one.

Although I'm amazed that the BSG reboot film was shelved because of too much sci-fi going on. When is sci-fi scheduled to decline enough to let NuBSG2 in? With Disney mass producing Star Wars like a factory will it ever be the right time for that? I find it more likely they couldn't make it 'work' on paper quite yet. NuBSG excelled at focusing the bewilderment left in the wake of 911. But that's a fading memory.

Well... I would agree that at many times the 5 series' don't fit together, I can't discount Paramount's attempt to try to take it into consideration. Wasn't that the reason we have tech manuals and chronologies in the first place - they were put together to assist the production crews with continuity.

I also dislike the term 'Prime' Universe. It makes me think of Optimus Prime overlording in that universe. They should have reserved it for the inevitable Trek/Transformers crossover reboot!!

11. Shaka Zulu

:lol::guffaw::rofl:

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The prime universe *is* continuing in both the Novelverse and Star Trek: Online. So we technically do have both, they're just residing in different storytelling mediums.

13. Shaka Zulu

^With one (the online game) set in the 25th century, like Buck Rogers!

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

While the new timeline will never hold the same appeal for me as the old, that doesn't mean that I don't like it. And, as long as the old timeline is continued in the novels, I'll be happy. Those were always better that what's onscreen anyway.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, most people have answered as fans. As a fan, I want an entertaining product. Regardless of when it is set.

16. Greg Cox

Exactly. To cite my usual example, the Hammer "Frankenstein" movies are not set in the same continuity as the Universal "Frankenstein" movies. Even when I was a kid, that never bothered me . . . as long as the movies were good.

Ditto for Tarzan, James Bond, Batman . . . or Star Trek.

Series get remade and rebooted all the time. It's part of the natural life-cycle of any popular fictional creation.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Odds are, we each have a different interpretation of what Star Trek is. If one of us was suddenly given carte blanche to produce our own version of the show, there would be tens of millions of fans telling us how stupid we were.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Online's timeline has already veered off into it's own universe. Which I guess is fine. As much as I'd like to see the prime universe "back" yeah it's probably not going to happen.

Then again, does anyone think the current reboot is going to last past the 3rd movie? I certainly don't. They're only under contract for three movies as I understand and Abrams by all accounts is already moving on to bigger and better things. Star Wars 7 will probably end up grossing more than 2009 and Into Darkness combined so yeah, he hit a meal ticket with that one.

Ten years down the road, they'll reboot it again probably. Maybe I'll warm up to the new movies more over time like I did with Enterprise, but for now they're a pale immitation of the classic material. Take the characters, rewrite them as you please, cherry pick the elements from the setting you want, mix it up in a blender and come out with "new" material. Just seems like lack of imagination to me.

There's a thread on the Voyager board that piqued my curiosity, anyone know if any of the Trek novelists plan on writing "future" stories in the JJverse(as in TNG/DS9/VOY era)?

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Eventually, I think, the Berman-era Trek spinoffs are going to be forgotten, and thought of as no more an important part of Star Trek than the animated series SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE 22ND CENTURY has to do with the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories -- just derivative material created mostly by other people.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think TNG will be remembered to a lesser degree as the first spin-off and the last Trek Roddenberry worked on. I do think the rest will fade away.