the ugliest enterprise

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Faria, May 28, 2013.

?

the ugliest enterprise is...

Poll closed Jun 27, 2013.
  1. nx-01

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. tos enterprise

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. enterprise A

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. enterprise B

17 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. enterprise C

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. enterpriseD

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  7. enterprise F

10 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. JJprise

43 vote(s)
    37.4%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah. He said as much in the second post. :techman:

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

C just because it really doesn't offer much to set it apart from the others. It borrows concepts but ultimately looks like it couldn't figure out if it wanted to be a Galaxy class or a Constitution class ship. Never been a fan of the Ambassador class starships.

3. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

B - too unoriginal

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Oh. That looked like a F to me.
    ;)

5. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

The Enterprise from JJs movies. It looks just misproportioned, like an He-Man action figure compared to greek statuary.

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for the JJ-Prise as well. I can't add anything to what has already been said about it. Uber-geek oversized (and that was before Into Darkness) with wrong shapes and proportions. The nacelles are way to oversized and bulbous, especially in the front when viewed from the profile. The engineering hull is proportioned wrong with the tapering toward the shuttlebay happening way too soon.

I guess bottom line is that it's so different from the TOS Enterprise that it makes me repulsed. I do wonder if I had seen the JJ-Prise first if I'd feel different.

I understand the complaints about the D. There are plenty of days I think it's an ugly design, too. From certain angles, however, it looks really sweet. Just don't let it saucer-separate. The whole headless Enterprise-D is ugly from any angle.

I can't wrap my mind around the Entrprise J enough to even comment. We saw it so briefly on screen. Every image I see gives me the feeling that it's incomplete somehow. I really dislike the J alot, too.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

No, polls can't be edited. You also forgot the Enterprise-J. ;)

By the way, please don't post three times in a row. That's considered spamming according to the rules. Use the Edit button instead or the multi-quote one if you want to reply to several posts. Thanks. :)

8. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I went with the -D. It was a close call between the -D and -C, but the Ambassador class at least doesn't look bloated and squished; it's just bloated :D

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

D looks like a cruise ship

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    What, no Enterprise-J choice ? Well, I can't vote, then ! And even then, it's just the least appealing to me. No Enterprise is ugly, in my opinion.

The OP asks for the UGLIEST Enterprise, not the one with the tech or story role you don't like.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd have to say the ringed version. True, it was never used in actual scenes in an episode or film, but we know it's canon because its picture appeared on 1) the TMP rec room wall, 2) the 602 club in ENT's "First Flight", and 3) Admiral Marcus' office desk in STID.

Runner up goes to the Enterprise-J as seen in "Azati Prime". Though in that case we can take some comfort in the fact that the "real" Ent-J will probably not look like that. Remember, the J came from an alternate future in which the Federation was involved in a long war with the Sphere Builders. Starship design was probably a bit "stunted" in that timeline because of the war draining all of Starfleet's resources (notice how the Ent-J looks a lot like a squashed NX-01).

That being said, I really don't understand all the NX-01 hate. Even if it is ugly, well, it's kinda SUPPOSED to be, ain't it? This is not exactly the pinnacle of technological advancement, the time period it's set in. I actually liked the NX, I thought it was nice looking. Even better with the secondary hull!

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The 'D'.

Ugly, badly proportioned and squat - I've always disliked it.

13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the tos enterprise. drab grey. bland.

14. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

JJprise. The nacelles are the most prominent offender, had hoped it would be re-designed for this outing; especially with all the damage it is taking and can not quite look well non matter what angle it faces. MHO, of course.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I find it quite elegant, myself. Too much, in fact, for the 22nd century, but I like the design more than its Akira predecessor.

I really wish people stopped calling it that. Or anything related to the new movies as "jj" something or "abrams" something.

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JJ Prise is dog vomit.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I vote for the B--the unnecessary kitbashing takes the sleek Excelsior design and makes it look awkward.

The one that I most dislike conceptually is the NX-01, but I can't say that it's ugly. That's part of the problem--It should have been.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Another vote for Enterprise B. I was never the biggest fan of Excelsior to begin with, but, ya, the kitbashing was just a bad idea.

Who voted for the original? :wtf:

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i did and i said why

20. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't think any are ugly!! They all have things I like and don't, either a sleek looking profile or a radical "new" Look. They all reflect the time period when they were designed, 60s 80s to today.

My least favorite is the F. I think it looks has a gothic design, and old looking starship.

Interesting thought....kinda off topic BUT
    When a team or person starts thinking of a new enterprise where do you think they start?? Requirements for the mission, top view, nacelles, etc?

I would start with a plain silhouette and see where that takes me.