Star Trek ~ Project Potemkin "Command Decision" S02-G NOW ON-LINE

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Now Playing for Your Enjoyment:

S02-G "Command Decision" is now on-line: http://vimeo.com/100747185

The Prime Directive becomes an issue for the captain and crew of the U.S.S. Potemkin as it encounters a fledgling space-faring people in the middle of a catastrophe.

Starring Jeffrey Green as Captain Alec Grigory, Chris Coleman as Ensign Drew Barton, Eric R. Moore as Lt. Commander Polim n'Ahman, Dakota Dodge as Ensign Teddy Burroughs, Kim Landers as Ensign M'Anna, Bill Mackenzie as Lt. Commander Quentin Caley, and Abby Evans Pierce as Lieutenant Tyler Landon. Featuring Stephanie Burke as Lt. Commander Sharon Mtume, Ande Ross as Ensign Gordon Avery, Michael Liebmann as K-Niclel and John B Brandes as Base Control. Music by Tony Lunn. VFX by Mark Berge. Written by David Eversole. Directed and edited by Randy Landers. Senior producer Rick Foxx.

Running Time: 6 mins, 13 sec

Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/100747185

You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjorZxnNZCU

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjorZxnNZCU[/yt]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I honestly cannot make out a lot of what they are saying. :\

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I watched the Youtube link and didn't have any trouble following the dialog.

I liked this one quite a bit- nicely written and performed.

4. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

Exceptional tale. I enjoyed it. Great work guys and girls.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

So did I, but the audio is too muddy on some of the quieter dialog that I can't parse it without really cranking it up.

6. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Randy, as someone who has had a lot of trouble with sound over the years, and still struggles with it, I'd highly recommend ADRing this one. It's a complete PITA, believe me I know, but it'd be worth it.

7. Potemkin_Prod

We appreciate the feedback, but this is one of those productions where many of the actors were and are not available for ADR work. I've spent 8 weeks in Audition trying to clear up the audio from a shorted microphone cable, and believe me, this is the best that it's going to get. I wish it could've been better, but sadly, with five cast members not available, an ADR session with would've just highlighted even more short comings.

Fortunately, this was the last episode shot with that particular camera and sound equipment. After this one, the sound improves dramatically (with the exception of "Closing Time" which was shot in a bar and produced in 24 hours). We continue to look for a local sound engineer who can help us in this area as well.

8. USS Intrepid

Yeah that'd be a problem right enough. Ah well, such is life. :)

9. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

Except for the audio issues, I enjoyed this one. I really like that bridge set...

10. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks! I think we filmed one more episode (next month's "Just Once") on it before we moved it to its new (current) location and reconfigured it a bit.

11. Romdoll

Romdoll Lieutenant Red Shirt

It sounds better with the last tweeks you did to the YT audio.... ;) Carry on Reigert .....

12. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

Hi Randy,
    and there you give us another nice piece of entertainment.

I love the music, Tony Lunn created for you and this webisode. I'd love to have some of those audios stand-alone. ;-)
    The problem with the dialog (I watched it on vimeo) is (for me), that Lunn's music overshadows the already problematic audio. Maybe if you tone down the music a bit, the voices can beput more in front, which would help a lot, I guess...
    The voices miss some bass volume, whereas the music is as bassy as it wants to be.
    Maybe audtion let's you play a little bit with the (hopefully) still separated audio files.

Summer-Greetings from Platjenwerbe, Germany
    Per

13. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks. I'll give that a try on Monday, and upload a new version to Vimeo.

Jeff and Eric were supposed to be whispering, and I think that's contributing to the lack of bass problem. Is it just the scene where the four senior officers that you're losing the dialogue?

14. wtriker1701

That is one of them, Randy! The other one is the dialogue in the beginning with your space-faring people - that one could definitely need a bass boost of 3db or more...
    Well, don't take 3db or more too seriously. But the voice bass could be boosted a bit.
    Try it out! ;-)

And/Or tone down the music where needed. Well, it could be toned down overall a bit, but sometimes it's best to do it while some dialogue has trouble reaching the front...

You should be able to do it with Audition in the multi-track view.

Greetings!

15. Potemkin_Prod

The opening exchange between the aliens is supposed to be garbled from the solar flare that Grigory mentions. That's intentional. But I will tweak the music down about -3db to see if we get a little better result.

We use Audition all the time (if fact, I used it for 5-1/2 hours working on two vignettes today). What's interesting is what we hear on the studio's speakers is often different than what we get on the laptop or the home computer. Also the sound difference between YouTube and Vimeo continues to be as disappointing as the video.

Thanks for the feedback!

16. wtriker1701

Hearing it again with headphones on:
    The Bridge effects in the beginning could be toned down to make it more comprehensible. No bass boost on voices needed.
    Wallace's second "So" has an audio glitch, maybe double its audio from the first "So".
    2:30 Grigory is definitely too silent, volume boost needed and music toned down. And there's some heartbeat noise (music?) that's overshadowing his voice also, because it's bass heavy.
    Around 3:00 - too heavy noice reduction detected. Maybe settings around 65% or just a little more could improve said scene... (as you do it with Audition I believe).
    Wallace's voice while in the command chair is sounding very good! That scene works voice-vise.
    Your "whispering scene" suffers only from a) noise reduction too heavy and b) music too loud/emphasized.
    That's exactly where toning down / tuning up music helps with scenes. When there's dialogue, reduce music slightly. If you tune it up after some dramatic dialogue you can enhance the dramatic effect it should have...

Just some thoughts, Randy. For this one.

Greetings
    Per

EDIT: So please forget my earlier remarks. This one is one the I think it could you forward there...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  17. USS Intrepid

It's nice to see more people posting helpful, constructive feedback. My compliments to you.

18. wtriker1701

Thanks, Nick! I'll be trying more in the future!

19. Potemkin_Prod

This is the sort of thing we ache for at times, to be sure.

20. Potemkin_Prod

Per,

Just letting you know I'm currently rendering a new version for upload to Vimeo. I'll let you know when it's on-line. Hopefully this one will be even better.

Rick Foxx is hard at work on the next one!

R