What does 'nu' mean?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xvicente, Jul 10, 2013.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I call this reboot series the Abramsverse, to distinguish it from past Treks. The 24th century era is no longer very 'modern', so Modern Trek doesn't cut it anymore. How about calling it the Bermanverse?

'Nu' has been around for a while. I remember hearing it in the early 2000s, to describe the genre 'nu metal' (there is no longer anything new about nu metal. In fact, it's quite passé now)

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I've been referring to TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT as "Berman-era Trek" for years, now.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Could we apply this to the comic/novel/gameverses ?

Off the top of my head there's the 80's novel continuity (either including the Rihannsu or giving it another continuity of its own), the Shatnerverse, the relaunch, various runs of comics, ST Online...

Or is it just too messy ?

4. F. King Daniel

^We already use those qualifiers in the Trek Lit forum.

And although "Second History" is imcredibly cool, it was already used in the infamous Trek novel Killing Time (which has some similarities to the 2009 movie)

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I have to say, the mathematician in me shudder at the original continuity being called the "prime" universe, as in mathematics the prime symbol is used for the derivative of a function. So it should be Trek and Trek' in my book.

I'm weird. I know. :lol:

6. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

hmm...to bad that Star Trek Phase II is already taken ;-)

How about introducing "years" or "era"?

Everything Roddenberry was involved in -> Star Trek: Roddenberry Years
    Everything that has only BnB without Roddenberry Star Trek: Berman Braga Years
    From 2009 up to the next big change -> Star Trek: Abrams Years

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you even know what actually qualifies as "Berman Braga Trek"? Voyager seasons 5 and 6 and Enterprise. That's it, that's all the Trek Braga had any authority over. I suppose if you want to stretch it you could throw Generations and First Contact in there since he co-wrote the scripts with Ron Moore.

Still, there's 14 years of Prime Trek after Roddenberry died. True Berman was in charge all 14, but Braga only had any real authority for 6 of those years. That's less than half.

I don't want to sound like I'm flying off the handle, but it does get irritating always seeing everyone associating Braga with having more power than he really did.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

"Nu" started out being something of a disparaging term, but as time went on the ease of use of the "nu" prefix caught on with fans too. Sort of a "we're taking it back" type situation. I love the Abrams films and use nu frequently. It's just easier.

As far as an alternate name goes, how about:

Neroverse (NOV)
    Ner-O-Verse / Near Original uniVerse / New Original uniVerse
    (Explains the origins of the alternate universe with Nero and can be alternately described as saying Near or New Original uniVerse just going by the acronym)

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not happy with anything of the form "[Something]verse." It's too slangy.

Maybe that was the first time it was used for a revival of a television or film franchise, but as stated above, the dictionaries say it originated in the 20th century as a designator for musical genres.

The difference there is that all of those (except for the Mirror Universe and Myriad Universes books) are intended to be extensions of the Prime continuity. They differ from one another, but they were all obligated to stay consistent with the onscreen canon as it existed at the time they were made.

Actually I know what you mean, since I'm from a physics background myself. Remember what I said earlier about how much trouble I've had coming up with a name for my default original-fiction universe? The first name I came up with for it was Future Prime, which was partly because I wanted it to be an optimistic future ("prime" as in choice, ideal) and partly because I wanted it to be a plausible alternative future, so there would be F and F', the real future and the fictional Future Prime. (I gave that up ages ago because it was kind of silly.)

But the mathematical use of "prime" is just one of its meanings. It can also mean the first or predominant example, as in the Prime Meridian, a prime minister, etc. Indeed, the reason we refer to the ' symbol as "prime" is because it was originally the first in a series -- x' was prime, x'' was second, x''' was third, etc.

And at least it's less confused than the pre-Crisis DC Comics notation, where the main DC universe was Earth One but our reality was Earth Prime.

TOS was run by Roddenberry for its first two seasons and Fred Freiberger for the third. TAS was run by D.C. Fontana, with Roddenberry as an executive producer/consultant. Roddenberry produced TMP, but was only a consultant on the remaining five TOS movies, four of which had Harve Bennett as their principal creator.

Roddenberry co-created TNG with Fontana, David Gerrold, and Bob Justman, though he shut them out from getting proper credit. He was the showrunner for the first season, with Rick Berman starting out in a supporting role and quickly rising to executive producer status. Berman was in overall charge of the franchise from then until the end of ENT, but the showrunners were:

TNG season 2: Maurice Hurley
    TNG S3-5: Michael Piller
    TNG S6-7: Jeri Taylor
    DS9 S1-3ish: Piller
    DS9 S3ish-7: Ira Steven Behr
    VGR S1, part of S3: Piller & Taylor
    VGR S2-4, mostly: Taylor
    VGR S5-6: Brannon Braga
    VGR S7: Kenneth Biller
    ENT S1-3: Berman & Braga (for the first time, Berman became regularly involved as a writer-producer rather than a logistical producer)
    ENT S4: Manny Coto, nominally under the supervision of Berman & Braga

And the TNG movies were produced by Berman, basically.

And as I've said, I'm looking for a long-term designator for the new universe. We already know that Abrams will not be directing the third movie in that continuity, although he will still be producing. And it's possible that other creators will take over telling stories in that universe after Bad Robot's involvement ends, since after all Paramount & CBS own it.

So it doesn't work to name any of the eras after a single creator or pair of creators. It's a gross oversimplification when applied to any era of Prime Trek, and it probably won't work in the long term for Abrams/Second Universe/whatever Trek. This is the whole reason I want a name other than "Abramsverse" -- because Trek overall is far too much a shared universe and a collaborative creation to link it to a single name.

10. Locutus of Bored

Well, you can't say anything like TOS² or anything derived from TOS since the Abrams-controlled franchise hasn't featured a TV series, and you can't just call it by name since there would be confusion with the original Star Trek, so it kind of limits your options a bit. Calling it a universe or verse is vague enough to fit in any books, comics, or movies yet descriptive enough to acknowledge that it's set in an alternate timeline.

How about something like Trek Reboot Era (TRE)?

11. Christopher

I'm fine with "[Something] Universe." It's just "[Something]verse" that sounds too informal for the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's fine for a fan nickname, but as I've said, I'm trying to imagine something more formal and lasting than a nickname. Of course I have no influence to actually get anything adopted, but I'm just trying to imagine what could be done in the future. Which is kinda what I do for a living.

12. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

BRTrek - Bad Robot Trek

13. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

ST:TFR - Since TOS was originally called "Star Trek" and was coined TOS years later, and since this is NOT a show, perhaps "Star Trek: The First Reboot" would work, then as they reboot the others, "ST:TNG:TFR","ST:DS9:TFR", "ST:VGR:TFR", "ST:ENT:TFR", and ultimately "ST:TSR" {hmm, works up to third, but fourth...fifth...sixth...seventh ?}

14. Christopher

^Except that TFR is already an abbreviation for John M. Ford's classic Trek novel The Final Reflection.

15. Locutus of Bored

No offense Christopher, but if you're going to get that nitpicky and obscure then nothing is likely ever going to be a satisfactory suggestion to you.

16. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Any objections then, since a reboot is actually another boot, how about "ST:TSB" as in "Star Trek: The Second Boot"?

17. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Das Boot?

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about STAU? Star Trek Abrams Universe or Star Trek Alternate Universe.

19. F. King Daniel

STAR - Star Trek Alternate Reality

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm just gonna call it Star Trek. ;)